Mobile menu

Do I need a docking station for my notebook?
Thread poster: Anne Koth

Anne Koth  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:26
German to English
Nov 3, 2005

I've been looking for a notebook (laptop?) computer to complement my PC. The man in the shop says I need a docking station so I can easily connect it to the monitor, printer etc. However, I have a WLAN system, so surely I can just use that with the notebook and control the printer that way? I hate plugging things in and I don't want to spend another 200 EUR on a docking station if I don't need to. Or is there another reason why I should buy a docking station?

I'm thinking of getting a Sony Vaio FS315M by the way, if anyone has any advice on that.

Direct link Reply with quote

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:26
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
In most situations, no need for the docking station Nov 3, 2005

The docking station is useful if you need to connect directly a lot of devices to your laptop, i.e., if your laptop is a "desktop replacement" (only computer you use).

If you plan to connect it to your home network, either through a wireless LAN or an Ethernet connection, you'll be able to connect to printers, scanners, etc. through the network.

If you need to connect a monitor or a keyboard, most (or all) laptops should come with a video connector, and several USB connectors. Newer laptops, however, no longer come with PS/2 connectors (useful for older keyboards and mice).

Angus Woo
Local time: 18:26
Chinese to English
+ ...
No,I don't think you need it. Nov 3, 2005

From what you just said, you just don't need it.

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 12:26
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Decide later Nov 3, 2005

I also think you don't need it, but you can always buy it later. It depends on how often you will unplug/plug all the peripherals (external monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc., if any).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do I need a docking station for my notebook?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs