Multifunction printer - good scanner quality
Thread poster: MargaBBB
MargaBBB
MargaBBB
Local time: 14:53
Catalan to English
+ ...
Jun 27, 2006

Can anyone recommend a multifunction printer with a really good scanner function (mainly for converting PDFs to work with in DV / word etc.), or in your experience, is it better to have separate scanning hardware/software? I was looking at the quite basic Epson Stylus DX 4200, for example.

Thanks.
Joyce

Nicolette Ri (X)
Nicolette Ri (X)
French to Dutch
+ ...
My opinion Jun 27, 2006

Joyce McFarlane wrote:

Can anyone recommend a multifunction printer with a really good scanner function (mainly for converting PDFs to work with in DV / word etc.), or in your experience, is it better to have separate scanning hardware/software? I was looking at the quite basic Epson Stylus DX 4200, for example.

Thanks.
Joyce

I use a HP officejet 5610. It was so good that I bought a second one for the other computer (my children often need my computer now) and a third one for my sister-in-law. It scans, makes photocopies, prints and sends faxes. I don't want to get back to three separate machines! You'll have to by it at an office store, it isn't sold in "consumer" stores.

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 13:53
HP as well Jun 27, 2006

I've got something similar - the HP PSC 1205 (now 3 years old, but the PSC range is still available). It cost me about €120. Perhaps the latest version of the PSC range will meet your requirements.

It is a printer, scanner and copier (both B&W and colour). I've never had any problems with it and it was easy to install. I can use the scanner with my fax software too.

[Edited at 2006-06-27 13:13]

Patricia Lane
Patricia Lane  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Canon Jun 27, 2006

And I love my Canon MPC.
Fast, good quality, and the ink comes in 4 separate cartridges, a feature that has saved a lot of money.
Have an HP 750 too, doesn't come close....

Patricia

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:53
English to French
+ ...
Lexmark X7170 - or X8350 Jun 27, 2006

That's the one I have. I think I paid just CAD$176 for it, UPS delivery included, although I did shop around to find the best price - I actually got it from a company who sells big batches of computer products to big companies. I think otherwise it costs close to $300. I bought it a year ago, but it's already not available anymore - replaced with X8350.

This one does everything (fax, copy, etc.) and it has a flat-bed scanner which I am REALLY happy with. The maximum scanning resolut
... See more
That's the one I have. I think I paid just CAD$176 for it, UPS delivery included, although I did shop around to find the best price - I actually got it from a company who sells big batches of computer products to big companies. I think otherwise it costs close to $300. I bought it a year ago, but it's already not available anymore - replaced with X8350.

This one does everything (fax, copy, etc.) and it has a flat-bed scanner which I am REALLY happy with. The maximum scanning resolution is 1200dpi. It's not good enough for graphic artists and other visual arts applications, but for the purpose you explained, it's more than enough. I don't use it to its full capacity, but even so, to give you an example, I scan Magic the Gathering cards (the actual pictures are 1.5 x 2 inches) and turn them into color wallpapers that I display on a 17 inch monitor. And my homemade wallpapers look great!

Also, this one comes with ABBYY FineReader - although Lexmark take care not to name it anywhere in their software or documentation - which is quite useful for anything to do with PDFs or faxes.

The downside is that the ink is a little too expensive, but it's not an issue if you print only sporadically, like I do.

For some reason, everywhere I go on the internet, this machine gets 6.2 out of 10, or it gets a "fair". Beats me! The printing quality is great and there are never any problems with the heads or any other mechanical parts. Faxing is great - it's basically a paperless fax, as you can choose to fax things directly from your desktop - and choose to turn faxes you receive directly into PDFs and other formats, without even physically printing them.

Overall, it's a great machine for someone who likes to be able to manage all their paper-based needs, doesn't print too frequently and likes to save on paper. All that this machine does is quality - at least, from a freelance translator's point of view.

Have fun shopping!

[Edited at 2006-06-27 18:42]
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Before you buy anything what spites ink Jun 27, 2006

please calculate how many pages you will print per month to get an estimated cost of such combo.
Inkjets are very cheap when bought, but really very expensive after that. Sometimes a new ink cartridge (or a set of them) costs more than the whole printer! This happened to the nephew of my wife.
Especially Lexmark and Samsung printer have expensive ink cartridges. And if you use refiles, the manufacturer warranty is void - this can be even more expensive.

I understand that
... See more
please calculate how many pages you will print per month to get an estimated cost of such combo.
Inkjets are very cheap when bought, but really very expensive after that. Sometimes a new ink cartridge (or a set of them) costs more than the whole printer! This happened to the nephew of my wife.
Especially Lexmark and Samsung printer have expensive ink cartridges. And if you use refiles, the manufacturer warranty is void - this can be even more expensive.

I understand that a working centre might be a good solution because you have only one device instead of three. But nevertheless I would either consider buying three specialized units or going for a laser working centre, even if this one would be more expensive. Here I could reccomend OKI as a manufacturer.
Consider also a leasing modell for such devide - at least in Germany a very interesting option to buying of an expensive item. For example instead of buying a Xerox Phaser 8550 DP (list price round 1.300 Euro) I have leased it for 30 months for less than 40 Euro per month.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multifunction printer - good scanner quality

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »