Poland
Local time: 03:44
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Jul 16, 2006

Hi all,

All of a sudden I cannot reach my external HD. Everything I could do I did: tried changing the USB port; took the disk out of the pocket and reinserted it; changed the USB power cable for battery-powered adapter. Nothing. The Windows message tells that an USB device cannot be recognized.

I'll call the vendor, of course, but it will be only tomorrow morning. And I would like to access my data now. Any ideas what else could I do? (Unfortunately, I have no other pocket to try: I would certainly do it if I could).

It's a 80GB Western Digital 3.5" disk in a MIO USB 2.0 OTG pocket (Welland)

Thanks for any ideas!

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Do you have another PC to try? Jul 16, 2006

If it works there, than something with your Windows installation went wrong (less probable, I´m afraid).
The other (more probable, I´m afraid) possibility is the HDD defect.

I´m quite sure you have restarted your PC in the meantime, didn´t you?

Regards
Jerzy

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jerzy, right you are! Jul 16, 2006

I have just connected the disk to my laptop and all four partitions are visible (thanks God!)

Several hours earlier I ahve installed on my desktop computer an PL-Ru-Pl PWN dictionary. The dictionary works fine but something must have happened to USB.
But it's OK, I'll reinstall the USB tomorrow: the most important thing is that I can reach my recent work files that has not yet been backuped.

Ruslan Datkayev  Identity Verified
Kazakhstan
Local time: 08:44
English to Russian
+ ...
to access hanged hardware w/out rebooting Windows Jul 17, 2006

Good day!

It may be useful to try out, in Control panel>System>Device Manager to disable and then enable back external HDD, for restarting USB connection.

With respect,

rbd

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot Jul 17, 2006

The problem has been already solved

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

URGENT: Troubleshooting an external hard drive

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs