Heike Behl, Ph.D.
Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 13:51
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Aug 11, 2006

I recently bought a new laptop (HP dv5237) and am experiencing some keyboard issues.

It happened several times so far that:
- caps lock function is reversed. I.e. activated lock results in all lower letters, deactivated in all caps.
- ALT+TAB (cycle through open windows): cycling order reversed
- cursor: clicking into a word/paragraph etc. highlights everything
- in some cases/applications, left click doesn't work

I assume I am hitting some key c
... See more
I recently bought a new laptop (HP dv5237) and am experiencing some keyboard issues.

It happened several times so far that:
- caps lock function is reversed. I.e. activated lock results in all lower letters, deactivated in all caps.
- ALT+TAB (cycle through open windows): cycling order reversed
- cursor: clicking into a word/paragraph etc. highlights everything
- in some cases/applications, left click doesn't work

I assume I am hitting some key combination incidentally, because I seem to be able to switch it off again - but I have no idea what keys I am hitting.

Can anybody help? Is this a function that can be deactivated?

Thanks!
Collapse

Nizamettin Yigit
Nizamettin Yigit  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:51
Dutch to Turkish
+ ...
Same problem but rarely Aug 11, 2006

Hi Heike,

I had similar problems especially between thekeyboards. Being a Turkish freelancer, I have to use different settings for Turkish.

If I experience similar problem, it is not the switch to the regular English settings but it becomes an unrecognized keyboard settings. Trying to adjust it does not usually help.

I dont know the reason but my problem is solved with a restart.

I assume reason could be a bug. So possible way to minimize this
... See more
Hi Heike,

I had similar problems especially between thekeyboards. Being a Turkish freelancer, I have to use different settings for Turkish.

If I experience similar problem, it is not the switch to the regular English settings but it becomes an unrecognized keyboard settings. Trying to adjust it does not usually help.

I dont know the reason but my problem is solved with a restart.

I assume reason could be a bug. So possible way to minimize this problem, is to update windows and other microsoft problems (meaning softwares) .

Good luck!

Nizam

[Edited at 2006-08-11 19:28]
Collapse

Terry Richards
Terry Richards
France
Local time: 14:51
French to English
+ ...
"Sticky" shift key Aug 12, 2006

All of the symptoms you describe would occur if the shift key was down. There are 3 reasons I can think of why this might be the case:

1) You are inadvertantly hitting (or resting your finger on) the shift key.

2) The key is physically stuck.

3) There is a disability option in control panel (it's under "accesability options" in English Windows) to make this key "sticky". Very useful for people who only have the use of one hand. If I had to bet, I would bet
... See more
All of the symptoms you describe would occur if the shift key was down. There are 3 reasons I can think of why this might be the case:

1) You are inadvertantly hitting (or resting your finger on) the shift key.

2) The key is physically stuck.

3) There is a disability option in control panel (it's under "accesability options" in English Windows) to make this key "sticky". Very useful for people who only have the use of one hand. If I had to bet, I would bet that you have this turned on.

Check option 3. If it isn't that, check option 1.

If it's neither of those, try another keyboard

T.
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:51
English to French
+ ...
One other possibility Aug 13, 2006

I use a laptop and as the physical layout of it is not the same as that of a desktop (e. g., no numpad), you probably noticed a key (on mine, it' between the left ctrl and Win keys) that may or may not have a blue symbol on it (mine says Fn - for function, I guess). This key is used to toggle certain things like screen parameters, but it is also used much like the shift key in order to use the "virtual" numpad.

Could it be that you are accidentally hitting that one?

I a
... See more
I use a laptop and as the physical layout of it is not the same as that of a desktop (e. g., no numpad), you probably noticed a key (on mine, it' between the left ctrl and Win keys) that may or may not have a blue symbol on it (mine says Fn - for function, I guess). This key is used to toggle certain things like screen parameters, but it is also used much like the shift key in order to use the "virtual" numpad.

Could it be that you are accidentally hitting that one?

I am not sure if this could be causing your problem, but when I started using my laptop, I also had similar problems, especially the reverse caps lock bit. After some time, the problem simply ceased to exist.

It's not easy getting used to typing on a laptop and our fingers tend to "bump" into keys accidentally. The layout is not the same and this causes some problems too initially. Maybe after you get used to it, the problem will vanish, like it did in my case.

If you use a German layout - I know German can be tricky on a laptop - then this may be the problem. But I think there is either some other configuration problem, or you just need some time to get used to the keyboard - and the FRIGGIN touchpad! - so you stop hitting things accidentally.

Good luck!
Collapse

Heike Behl, Ph.D.
Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 13:51
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the feedback Aug 13, 2006

I'm afraid Terry is right and there's a problem not only with a sticky shift key but with my keyboard in general. I just wasn't sure before if those were actually to be blamed on the keyboard or just due to a different sensitivity of the keys from what I'm used to...

But I checked all keyboard/accessibility options and they can't be blamed for anything. Let's just hope it's not a design flaw of the keyboard model used in my laptop and that a new keyboard will solve my problems. ... See more
I'm afraid Terry is right and there's a problem not only with a sticky shift key but with my keyboard in general. I just wasn't sure before if those were actually to be blamed on the keyboard or just due to a different sensitivity of the keys from what I'm used to...

But I checked all keyboard/accessibility options and they can't be blamed for anything. Let's just hope it's not a design flaw of the keyboard model used in my laptop and that a new keyboard will solve my problems.

Heike
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

keyboard problems

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »