Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:48
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
May 30, 2007

Last week, right in the middle of a big project, I felt some slight pain in my right wrist. I haven't suffered from this before, though I use my mouse quite a lot (even playing Solsuite many times a day).
So next morning I changed my mouse from right site to left and switched the settings for the buttons, so I can double-click with my left index-finger.

Of course first it was a nightmare. My left hand did not understand, that it had to lift the mouse and move it, if the cursor
... See more
Last week, right in the middle of a big project, I felt some slight pain in my right wrist. I haven't suffered from this before, though I use my mouse quite a lot (even playing Solsuite many times a day).
So next morning I changed my mouse from right site to left and switched the settings for the buttons, so I can double-click with my left index-finger.

Of course first it was a nightmare. My left hand did not understand, that it had to lift the mouse and move it, if the cursor could not reach some spot. Instead it forced itself into impossible positions. But after a few hours I started to get along.

Now, one week later, I have learned a lot of keyboard shortcuts, which I knew existed, but never used much. Most of the time I can do without mouse, and my productivity has even increased when translating in SDLX. And I do not play Solsuite anymore, because my left hand is still somewhat slower than the right.

Now if I still find some more shortcuts, e.g. for entering a search term into Google-bar in my Firefox browser without clicking with the mouse...

Cheers
Heinrich
Collapse

vaskekona
vaskekona
Local time: 13:48
Norwegian (Bokmal) to English
+ ...
shortcuts May 30, 2007

Try also the Opera browser which abounds with input options.

http://www.opera.com/support/tutorials/nomouse/

[Edited at 2007-05-30 13:49]

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Hope you get better! May 30, 2007

I am sorry to hear about your health problems, I hope it turns out all right!

The search shortcut for Firefox is "Ctrl-k". You can read about it and many other shortcuts here:

http://www.mozilla.org/access/features

Generally, if you search for "accessibility" and "carpal tuneel syndrome", you will find many useful hints and advices...

There is als
... See more
I am sorry to hear about your health problems, I hope it turns out all right!

The search shortcut for Firefox is "Ctrl-k". You can read about it and many other shortcuts here:

http://www.mozilla.org/access/features

Generally, if you search for "accessibility" and "carpal tuneel syndrome", you will find many useful hints and advices...

There is also a great program, called Autohotkey, which allows configuration of various shortcuts and options, which are not normally accessible in software (I have redefined my TagEditor completely, for example). However, it is not that easy to learn, especially at first...

[Zmieniono 2007-05-30 13:30]
Collapse

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
I use the mouse with my right hand... May 30, 2007

... and I'm left-handed. I had to learn it that way, as our computers at work were shared among several users and I was the only left-hander. It would have been too cumbersome to try and change it over every time, so I just got on with it.

I also use a calculator and mobile phone with my right hand. This has a big advantage - I can write things down with my left hand while simultaneously calculating/phoning/clicking away with my right.

[Edited at 2007-05-30 19:29]

Maria Ondarcuhu
Maria Ondarcuhu
Local time: 08:48
English to Spanish
+ ...
changing mouse hand May 31, 2007

Marie Helene wrote:

I use the mouse with my right hand...

... and I'm left-handed. I had to learn it that way, as our computers at work were shared among several users and I was the only left-hander. It would have been too cumbersome to try and change it over every time, so I just got on with it.

The same happens to me, we are left-handed in a right-habded world... what can we do?
What about the can-opener? Can you use it the other way?
... See more
Marie Helene wrote:

I use the mouse with my right hand...

The same happens to me, we are left-handed in a right-habded world... what can we do?
What about the can-opener? Can you use it the other way?
Regards Moni
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
There are several mice for left handed user May 31, 2007

For example this one by Logitech.
Many mouse drivers (Logitech, Cherry) have also the option to switch left and right mouse button, so if you are left handed and using a mouse with symetrical design you can simply place it on the left.

As for can opener - somwhere I have seen one for left handed people.

Greetings f
... See more
For example this one by Logitech.
Many mouse drivers (Logitech, Cherry) have also the option to switch left and right mouse button, so if you are left handed and using a mouse with symetrical design you can simply place it on the left.

As for can opener - somwhere I have seen one for left handed people.

Greetings from right handed
Jerzy

[Edited at 2007-05-31 08:02]
Collapse

Vojislav Krunic
Vojislav Krunic  Identity Verified
Serbia
Member (2006)
English to Serbian
+ ...
No need to switch buttons Jun 1, 2007

Why would anyone have to switch buttons of a mouse to use it with the other hand? I use my mouse with both hands equally and it would be a major pain in the ...wrist to adjust settings anew each time. Also, if someone else has to use my mouse it is not convenient to set it any other way than usual. I mean, the left side is always left, whether you click it with your middle or index finger, right?

[Edited at 2007-06-01 14:00]

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Well, it depends IMHO Jun 1, 2007

if you wanna use your mouse with the left hand exactly as you do this with the right hand, you will need to switch buttons.
Beside that we are discussing here something, about what I do not have any clue - I'm right handed, so it does not matter for me. Therefore I would leave the decision wether to switch the buttons or not to people who might need this.

Jerzy

Vojislav Krunic
Vojislav Krunic  Identity Verified
Serbia
Member (2006)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Left click can as well be on the left, as its name suggests Jun 2, 2007

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

if you wanna use your mouse with the left hand exactly as you do this with the right hand, you will need to switch buttons.
Depends on what you mean by "exactly as you do this with the right hand". With my right hand, I do left-clicks with my index finger. With my left hand, I do left-clicks with my middle finger. For me, it is much less confusing to keep left-click on the left etc., than to keep the symmetry like in a mirror. That way, for example, you can follow any instructions just as they are written.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Changing mouse-hand

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »