Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
How to fax when you don\'t want to bother with a fax machine?
Thread poster: Elizabeth Adams
Elizabeth Adams
Elizabeth Adams  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:35
Member (2002)
Russian to English
Jan 8, 2003

Does anyone have any brilliant solutions for faxing without a fax machine?

My eMac came with fax software that is tempermental to say the least.

I also have a PC laptop that doesn\'t seem to have any fax software, or not that I\'ve found.

Are there any online services that allow you to receive faxes and then send them on to you as email? Or am I stuck with paying for an additional phone line and buying a fax?

Any
... See more

I also have a PC laptop that doesn\'t seem to have any fax software, or not that I\'ve found.

Are there any online services that allow you to receive faxes and then send them on to you as email? Or am I stuck with paying for an additional phone line and buying a fax?

Any suggestions will be warmly welcome!
Collapse

Sarah Brenchley
Sarah Brenchley  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
efax Jan 8, 2003

Check out efax (www.efax.com). It allows you choose to phone numbers in England or America and then have the faxes sent to you by email fre of charge. It\'s also available in other places i.e. Spanish but for a slight charge.

Best wishes,

Sarah.

Rick Henry
Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:35
Italian to English
+ ...
internet faxes Jan 8, 2003

A couple come to mind - j2.com (which I use) and efax.com Both should do what you like, but if you want a number in your area code, you\'ll have to pay (around 12 dollars a month). You can also send faxes with these services if you have a scanner.

R.

==

Quote:

On 2003-01-08 20:32, EAdams wrote:

... See more
A couple come to mind - j2.com (which I use) and efax.com Both should do what you like, but if you want a number in your area code, you\'ll have to pay (around 12 dollars a month). You can also send faxes with these services if you have a scanner.

R.

==

Quote:

On 2003-01-08 20:32, EAdams wrote:

Any suggestions will be warmly welcome!

Collapse

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
Ask your phone company Jan 8, 2003

They might have what mine has:

The so-called faxbox

where faxes are received and converted and sent to you eMail box. Beautiful!

For sending, you can scan the paper and send it as a picture (JPG,TIF etc) attachement.

I saw an ad in Sweden for the Brother T74 phone/fax machine for SEK 1174 ($ 120).

It gives you:

A memory phone

Caller number display

Regular paper

Copier with z
... See more
They might have what mine has:

The so-called faxbox

where faxes are received and converted and sent to you eMail box. Beautiful!

For sending, you can scan the paper and send it as a picture (JPG,TIF etc) attachement.

I saw an ad in Sweden for the Brother T74 phone/fax machine for SEK 1174 ($ 120).

It gives you:

A memory phone

Caller number display

Regular paper

Copier with zoom 50-150%

Terrific machine for that price!

BR

Mats J C Wiman

Übersetzer/Translator/Traducteur/Traductor > swe

http://www.MatsWiman.com

http://www.Deutsch-Schwedisch.com

http://www.proz.com/translator/1749 Deu>swe Proz.com moderator

eMail: [email protected]

Träsk 201

SE-872 97 Skog

Tel : +46-612-54112

Fax : +46-612-54181

Mobile: +46-70-5769797

Collapse

Marco Oberto
Marco Oberto  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
e-Faxes Jan 8, 2003

With Tiscali.it (I don\'t know if the service is operative in other countries too), you simply have to open an email account and, among other services available, you are assigned a phone number to which people can send you faxes that the system will convert into email attachments to be forwarded to your email address.

You can also SEND faxes with Tiscali, but this option has a cost of roughly 10 eurocent per page: in your personal Tiscali page, there is an option for the sending of fil
... See more
With Tiscali.it (I don\'t know if the service is operative in other countries too), you simply have to open an email account and, among other services available, you are assigned a phone number to which people can send you faxes that the system will convert into email attachments to be forwarded to your email address.

You can also SEND faxes with Tiscali, but this option has a cost of roughly 10 eurocent per page: in your personal Tiscali page, there is an option for the sending of files in several formats (word, excel, tiff, etc...). I don\'t know how the payment is made.

HTH
Collapse

two2tango
two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 15:35
English to Spanish
+ ...
FaxWave Jan 8, 2003

Try FaxWave! It´s free and it works!

After signing up , a telephone number in Northern nevada , USA, will be activated just for you and whatever you´re being sent will arrive in the form of an e-mail almost instantly.

HIH

Cheers .)

http:/www.callwave.com/faxwave

[addsig]

Elizabeth Adams
United States
Member (2002)
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks! Jan 8, 2003

i\'ll sort through this information and see if there are any cheaper options I can make use of (ie, through my phone service or internet provider), or if an online service is the best deal

E

Pro Lingua
Pro Lingua  Identity Verified
German to Slovak
+ ...
What about WinFax from Symantec (former Delrina) Jan 8, 2003

I work with WinFax from Symantec (PC). With this software it is also possible to send fax messages via e-mail.

evaesse
evaesse
Italian to Croatian
+ ...
winfax Jan 8, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-01-08 22:29, Pro Lingua wrote:

I work with WinFax from Symantec (PC). With this software it is also possible to send fax messages via e-mail.

I\'ve just installed winfax and it is very useful and simple. You can receive and send faxes (if you have a scanner).

Cheers

Arnaud HERVE
Arnaud HERVE  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Tiscali Jan 8, 2003

Yes yes Tiscali try Tiscali in your own country, it works great and is more convenient than paper. You can focus on blurred letters.

As for your mac, I am not sure but I think you can make a file in another software, save it as a tif graphic, and then send it in efax. That\'s on os9 on an ibook though. It\'s true writing in efax is very awkward.

Arnaud HERVE
Arnaud HERVE  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
efax Jan 8, 2003

errr I meant in the default fax soft for os9 of course, not efax, which is an online service.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:35
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
TTF files Jan 9, 2003

Do you have a scanner? If so, you can scan the pages in. they will initially be in some file format specific to the scanner software but can be converted into other formats. Turn the file into a TTF file, which can be read in Windows Imaging (standard part of Windows). TTF files are very big so it is best to zip them. They come out at least as clear as a paper fax and you can zoom in on any hard-to-read parts.

Kemal Mustajbegovic
Kemal Mustajbegovic  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:35
English to Croatian
+ ...
RingCentralFax works for me Jan 9, 2003

I have this software for three years now I\'m very happy with it. One doesn\'t need to be on the net, all you need is to have you computer on (stand-by mode is fine) and faxes are coming through. When you \"wake up\" your machine there\'s a message on the screen about received faxes. You can open them, read, print, save, delete them .....whatever you feel like.

When you finish you document you just go to \"File menu\" and \"send by fax\" wherever you want.

mora339
mora339
Local time: 03:35
Japanese to English
+ ...
combination Jan 9, 2003

In my case I use both efax (efax.com) and winfax (software). Efax is to receive, and winfax to send. Or in many cases I just convert whatever I want to send into PDF, JPG, TIFF so that I can email out.

By the way while we talk about efax I thought you can send fax via efax without a scanner if you are a \'plus\' member (fee-based). Being a plus member gives you a software that converts documents of most popular application into efax\'s format so that you can send it to efax.
... See more
In my case I use both efax (efax.com) and winfax (software). Efax is to receive, and winfax to send. Or in many cases I just convert whatever I want to send into PDF, JPG, TIFF so that I can email out.

By the way while we talk about efax I thought you can send fax via efax without a scanner if you are a \'plus\' member (fee-based). Being a plus member gives you a software that converts documents of most popular application into efax\'s format so that you can send it to efax.com by email to let them send as a fax. Please correct me if I\'m wrong.

Thanks.

Collapse

Elizabeth Adams
United States
Member (2002)
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Kemal! Jan 9, 2003

can you tell me where to get the software you use? should I just do a web search for it? about how much should I pay for it?

that sounds like exactly the solution I want!!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to fax when you don\'t want to bother with a fax machine?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »