Doron Greenspan MITI  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 12:42
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Oct 29, 2007

Hi,

I've recently had an ATI X1050 graphics card with an S-Video output installed on a modern, fast pc.

I connected that output to the TV video input of a modern TV, using a new 7-pin S-Video-to-RCA plug cable. No picture at all.

On the pc's Display Properties, I tried to select a second output for the card, but while I can do it (output 1 > 2), I still can't see any signal on the TV.

Any idea what I may have missed there?

Thanks,
... See more
Hi,

I've recently had an ATI X1050 graphics card with an S-Video output installed on a modern, fast pc.

I connected that output to the TV video input of a modern TV, using a new 7-pin S-Video-to-RCA plug cable. No picture at all.

On the pc's Display Properties, I tried to select a second output for the card, but while I can do it (output 1 > 2), I still can't see any signal on the TV.

Any idea what I may have missed there?

Thanks, Doron
Collapse

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Local time: 07:42
Spanish to English
+ ...
What about the TV? Oct 29, 2007

Is the video input you're using designed to receive an S-video input? And if the input is configurable for various types of input signal, is it properly configured for S-video (check the OSD menu set-up).

MediaMatrix

Doron Greenspan MITI
Israel
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tried all 3 inputs Oct 29, 2007

Thanks, MediaMatrix.

It doesn't display on either of the 3 inputs - and according to the manual (it's a Toshiba), one can connect an S-Video to 2 of them at least.

Perhaps the fact that it's an S-Video-RCA plug is the problem.

I tried an S-Video-S-Video plug and it didn't work, but I suspected it was due to the fact that the plugs only had 4 pins, not 7, like the graphics card.

Does it matter?

Thanks, Doron

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:42
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Video standard issue? Oct 29, 2007

If you're using a conventional Israeli TV, it's probably expecting input using the PAL video standard. Might the video card be configured to produce an NTSC signal?

If that were the problem, though, I'd expect you to see *something* on the screen, even if it were a bit garbled.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Need a driver probably Oct 29, 2007

A few weeks ago I tried the same trick, but no picture. Someone gave me instructions how to achieve the task, but they are in Finnish. First of all make sure both pc and tv are off when you connect the cable.
And probably you need a driver for your graphics card.
Cheers
Heinrich

Doron Greenspan MITI
Israel
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Blue Picture still... Oct 30, 2007

Thanks, Heinrich and Steven.

I still have a blue picture on my TV despite applying all suggestions and more...

I installed a new driver for the card, and checked the TV user guide as well, but to no avail.

I suddenly thought that perhaps it's simply silly to expect a C/Y signal (which is what the S-Video plug delivers) to match a simple RCA socket. Perhaps I should find a full S-Video-S-Video cable.

I left it be for the time being, as it's not
... See more
Thanks, Heinrich and Steven.

I still have a blue picture on my TV despite applying all suggestions and more...

I installed a new driver for the card, and checked the TV user guide as well, but to no avail.

I suddenly thought that perhaps it's simply silly to expect a C/Y signal (which is what the S-Video plug delivers) to match a simple RCA socket. Perhaps I should find a full S-Video-S-Video cable.

I left it be for the time being, as it's not that urgent..

Doron
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
You found the answer! Oct 30, 2007

Doron Greenspan MITI wrote:
Doron

AFAIK S-video is digital, while RCA is analog. Maybe your cable only picks the audio from the S-video connection, which would be a legit reason to have made it.

Try to get a borrowed complete S-video cable from someone, if you can, just for a try.

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not digital - analogue components Oct 30, 2007

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

AFAIK S-video is digital, while RCA is analog.

Try to get a borrowed complete S-video cable from someone, if you can, just for a try.

No, José, S-video is an analogue component standard, with separate brightness and colour-difference components. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-Video

As you suggest, Doron would do well to beg or borrow (and if unsuccessful, then buy ) a fully-connected 4 or 7-pin S-video cable.

MediaMatrix

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 11:42
English to Swedish
+ ...
Correction Oct 30, 2007

Not really, S-video is and has always been analogue.

Read more here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-Video

"The 4-pin mini-DIN connectors seem to be common on TVs, VCRs, and DVD players. The 7-pin quasi-DIN connectors seem to be more common on computers. The 7-pin socket accepts the 4-pin plug and the S-video signals are available on the matching pins. When a 7-pin plug is inserted, one of the extra pins carries a composite CVBS video signal for non S-video displays. Some graphics cards require the remaining two pins to be shorted together to enable the CVBS mode.

The 7-pin plug has a longer locating lug making it difficult (but not impossible) to insert it in a 4 pin socket. Damage to the plug and socket is inevitable if the plug is forced into the socket.

A 7-pin quasi-DIN can also transmit YPbPr or RGB component video, though the outputs are usually 3 RCA jacks for YPbPr and 5 BNC connectors or SCART for RGB. Such cables are often provided with video cards."

/Jan

Doron Greenspan MITI
Israel
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I only got the S-Video-RCA cable because the other one was missing... Oct 30, 2007

I really wanted the proper one.
I'll get the proper cable for the C/Y to go to the opposite C/Y.
Btw, José, the S-Video cable doesn't carry any sound - just video.

Thanks all, I'll report when I'm successful, or not.

Doron

Jan Sundström
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Catalyst Oct 30, 2007

Hey Doron, maybe you know this already, but it's not just the actual card driver, ATI also has the Catalyst software suite that is used to control the output. Some versions work better than others, read up on which Catalyst is compatible with your card.

You could also try to place a support ticket with ATI/AMD, and post back their advice here:
http://www.amd-firefly.com/firefly2007/fireflyclient.jsp

I'm curious to hear the outcome...

/Jan

Doron Greenspan MITI
Israel
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Catalyst ahoy Oct 30, 2007

After checking the million options on Catalyst (most I don't even begin to understand) I've just found a checkbox called: Force TV Detection!
So I'm going to get the cable and see how this goes - if not by reason, than by force...

Doron

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Sorry, I goofed! Oct 30, 2007

mediamatrix wrote:

No, José, S-video is an analogue component standard, with separate brightness and colour-difference components. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-Video
As you suggest, Doron would do well to beg or borrow (and if unsuccessful, then buy ) a fully-connected 4 or 7-pin S-video cable.
MediaMatrix

Dead right. I thought of composite/separate, but I was misled by my new computer monitor which blinks Analog/Digital when it's on powersave mode. That blinking might have got tattooed on my retinas somehow (though I don't stand there watching it on powersave mode).

Jan Sundström
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
You're on the right way Oct 31, 2007

After checking the million options on Catalyst (most I don't even begin to understand) I've just found a checkbox called: Force TV Detection!

Good that you're working on it.
After searching other forums, I found the explanation!

"The problem appears to be that the graphics card only has one refresh rate. In Europe, TV runs at 50Hz. And VGA monitors don't run at 50Hz because it's bad for the eyes. So when you select the TV, eg via the swap facility in CCC, you may find on your PC monitor a message saying that it can't work at that mode, or that it can't sync. So there is no way to get VGA and S-video working simultaneously in europe."

Taken from:
http://forums.hexus.net/ati-multimedia-care-hexus/90416-radeon-x1300-pro-s-video-out-not-working-2.html

Other posts on the Hexus forum suggests a smart workaround:
1) i uninstalled my drivers and turned off my pc.
2) connected my monitor to the dvi using an vga-dvi adapter.
3) rebooted in vga mode
4) reinstalled the latest radeon drivers
5) rebooted normally.

"it works (i can clone my monitor to my tv) but 1024 x 768 now is the highest available resolution for my monitor."

Also, check this site, very good description and screen shots:
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Proper-TV-OUT-settings-for-ATI-Videocards-43623.shtml

/Jan

Doron Greenspan MITI
Israel
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well, time for a new try Oct 31, 2007

Many thanks, Jan, your efforts are much appreciated. This is why ProZ is for pros.

I will try the right cable first, then the Catalyst option, then go through your suggestions. This has now gone beyond pure need and into "must solve" territory...

Best, Doron

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Not being able to show pc output on TV

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »