Restoring a CD drive
Thread poster: Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:03
German to English
Nov 8, 2007

I'm using a PC with Windows XP and still basically a novice on computers. A while back I inserted a USB drive that someone had given me as a gift to find out what they're all about. Now when I want to use my CD drive the tray won't open and I can't find CD drive listed in My Computer. I've got DVD Drive and Removable Disk (F:) where my CD drive used to be. I'd appreciate advice on how to restore my CD drive.

Marcelo Silveyra
Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Local time: 04:03
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
For starters... Nov 8, 2007

Kim, go to Control Panel / System / Device Manager. Expand "DVD/CD-ROM drives" and see if there's a little red X (or something like that, I don't quite remember) next to any of the devices listed. If there is, right-click on it and select "Enable this device."

If that doesn't work, please let us know. Troubleshooting might be complicated in this case because we don't have the actual computer in front of us, but hopefully someone can come up with a solution that works.

Kim Metzger
Mexico
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Still a no-go Nov 8, 2007

Thanks, Marcelo. There is in fact a red X next to SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW 2403. I went to properties where I read the message: This device is disabled. Click on enable to enable this device. Then came the message: Windows was not able to enable this device.

Maureen Wilkins (X)
Maureen Wilkins (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:03
French to English
+ ...
Driver could be corrupt? Nov 8, 2007

Hi Kim
It could be a problem with the driver software for the CD drive. For some reason it could have become corrupt.
You may need to reinstall.

Try and see if there are any FAQs on the manufacturer's website relating to this problem on the computer manufacturer or CD manufacturer's website. You can probably find the driver software there.

Best Wishes
Maureen

Olaf (X)
Olaf (X)
Local time: 13:03
English to German
Try to remove the device Nov 8, 2007

Hi Kim,

Remove the Device in the device manager and then select Scan for Hardware Changes from the Action menu. This should reinstall the device driver. If that doesn't work, you'll have to re-install the driver for your drive manually.

Olaf

franksf
franksf
Chinese to English
Change drive letter Nov 8, 2007

You will need to set your USB drive to a different letter, say "Z", so that it will not compete for the same drive letter.

Below is Microsoft's official doc
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307844

Before you apply it, be sure to back up all files on your USB and, better, hard drives.

NetLynx
NetLynx  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
Drive letter taken? Nov 8, 2007

Hi Kim,

Your external drive may have taken the one of your internal CD drive. You could check that when attached. If yes, you must change the letter to a free one in Control Panel > Administration > Computer Administration > Disks. At least in my Danish XP, translated into English. After changing I guess your internal drive is active or could be activated.

Best regards
Erik

[Edited at
... See more
Hi Kim,

Your external drive may have taken the one of your internal CD drive. You could check that when attached. If yes, you must change the letter to a free one in Control Panel > Administration > Computer Administration > Disks. At least in my Danish XP, translated into English. After changing I guess your internal drive is active or could be activated.

Best regards
Erik

[Edited at 2007-11-08 23:19]
Collapse

Kim Metzger
Mexico
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
CD drive problems Nov 9, 2007

Hi Erik - I don't have an external CD drive, just the one that's in the computer.

NetLynx
NetLynx  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
Sorry ... Nov 9, 2007

Hi Kim,

I misread the USB drive for an external USB CD drive!
But the same applies for that.

Erik

Umutay Midinova
Umutay Midinova
Kyrgyzstan
Local time: 17:03
English to Kirghiz
+ ...
One solution Nov 9, 2007

It is possible to return to an earlier state - when you have possessed CD drive and not installed USB yet. At least I do it when some installations go wrong.
In the Standard there is option System Restoring. As a date to which you want to have the system restored you can choose the day previous to installation. There is besides a list with recent major changes -- installation of USB could be there.

But these things are better to do in the Safe regime. To get to the regime, whe
... See more
It is possible to return to an earlier state - when you have possessed CD drive and not installed USB yet. At least I do it when some installations go wrong.
In the Standard there is option System Restoring. As a date to which you want to have the system restored you can choose the day previous to installation. There is besides a list with recent major changes -- installation of USB could be there.

But these things are better to do in the Safe regime. To get to the regime, when Windows starting to load press repeatedly F8 and among regimes select Safe.

Hope it will help.
If I have choice between CD and USB I would prefer the first.

Umutay
Collapse

Kim Metzger
Mexico
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Still working on it Nov 9, 2007

I want to thank all of you very much for trying to help with this issue. I took Maureen's advice and went to the manufacturer's website - the Dell forum. I've got an expert helping me and hope to have it resolved one of these days. I'll post an update as soon as I have something to report.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Restoring a CD drive

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »