Thread poster: Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:04
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Jan 30, 2010

In Spain there have been a lot of adverts for "oscillating platforms" in recent months.
They apparently tone muscles and one great advantage is that you should only do 10 minutes or so of exercise at a time - in the comfort of your own home.

Sounds ideal for a quick break from translating when I'm bored/stressed.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of them and if they are a good form of exercise for people who sit in front of a computer for many hours a d
... See more
In Spain there have been a lot of adverts for "oscillating platforms" in recent months.
They apparently tone muscles and one great advantage is that you should only do 10 minutes or so of exercise at a time - in the comfort of your own home.

Sounds ideal for a quick break from translating when I'm bored/stressed.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of them and if they are a good form of exercise for people who sit in front of a computer for many hours a day. I go out for a run 2 or 3 times a week, but it's hard getting out in this really cold weather, so a vibration platform could provide a good alternative.

There are also enormous price differences. Does anyone know if the cheap ones actually work?

Looking forward to hearing any opinions.
Collapse

Benno Groeneveld
Benno Groeneveld  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:04
English to Dutch
+ ...
Ahh, dropping the kilos without moving a muscle, Jan 30, 2010

wouldn't that be nice. But that will probably remain a dream for a very long while, until they really can reach into our bodies and manipulate our genes.

I wouldn't bother. The old rule still applies: if you want to lose weight and build up muscles you need to eat less and exercise more. (that'll be $20!).

Running in place or jumping rope are cheaper and probably work better.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Long term consequences? Jan 30, 2010

Ever since I see my kids play with these things at the local mall, I cannot help wondering how come we constantly hear about the adverse effects of vibration at work (for instance when operating machinery or staying in plants where big machines, generators, engines, or motors create vibration) but on the other hand are to believe that a exposing to a strong voluntary vibration as generated by these "gym machines" is good and healthy. How will this vibration impact your joints and other body part... See more
Ever since I see my kids play with these things at the local mall, I cannot help wondering how come we constantly hear about the adverse effects of vibration at work (for instance when operating machinery or staying in plants where big machines, generators, engines, or motors create vibration) but on the other hand are to believe that a exposing to a strong voluntary vibration as generated by these "gym machines" is good and healthy. How will this vibration impact your joints and other body parts in the long run? I think you better ask your doctor before buying one of these machines.

For vibration and their effects, there is an interesting document in the website of the Spanish Ministry of Work and Social Matters.

Personally I think it is a lot better to eat less, control what you eat, and enjoy a brisk walk 30 minutes a day.
Collapse

Giuliana Criscuolo-Bruce
Giuliana Criscuolo-Bruce
Local time: 12:04
English to Italian
+ ...
The wonders of housework Jan 30, 2010

Have you considered appropriately spaced breaks for hoovering, bed-making, laundry-hanging, gardening and the like? Apparently bed-making consumes a lot of calories.

To answer your question, I have tried the vibrating platforms at my health club, and find them very unpleasant, particularly the vibrations on my teeth. They do tire you out but they are quite boring and I am not sure how much good they do. You do need to perform exercise repetitions on them to get the "full benefit", a
... See more
Have you considered appropriately spaced breaks for hoovering, bed-making, laundry-hanging, gardening and the like? Apparently bed-making consumes a lot of calories.

To answer your question, I have tried the vibrating platforms at my health club, and find them very unpleasant, particularly the vibrations on my teeth. They do tire you out but they are quite boring and I am not sure how much good they do. You do need to perform exercise repetitions on them to get the "full benefit", and even with an instructor it is quite hard to remember how to do that correctly. Also, I have watched a documentary on tsr (televison suisse romande) where a doctor who had actually used them was warning of the potential dislodging of blood clots (as experienced by himself). Anyway, the ones used in health clubs are very sturdy, heavy and expensive, but I would not be sure about the quality of cheaper home versions.

Happy cleaning!

(Assuming, of course, that you work from home)
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
there don't seem to be many vibration platform users in the translating world Jan 31, 2010

Thanks for your answers everyone. I think the conclusion is that translators aren't big users of these machines.
Benno, running in place is just about the most boring thing I can think of, so I think I would go for the skipping rope if that is the choice.
Tomás, thanks for the link, but surely we shouldn't be comparing this machine with a pneumatic drill? I do take your point, though, as I have read about the risk of detached retina using the platform, and, as Giuliana mentions, di
... See more
Thanks for your answers everyone. I think the conclusion is that translators aren't big users of these machines.
Benno, running in place is just about the most boring thing I can think of, so I think I would go for the skipping rope if that is the choice.
Tomás, thanks for the link, but surely we shouldn't be comparing this machine with a pneumatic drill? I do take your point, though, as I have read about the risk of detached retina using the platform, and, as Giuliana mentions, dislodging blood clots.

Can't anyone come up with anything positive about the platform, or do I just have to cross it off my wish-list?
Collapse

Anne Brackenborough (X)
Anne Brackenborough (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Guardian article Feb 1, 2010

Here's a Guardian article about power-plates.

I do aerobics in the living-room. I started out with a couple of DVDs but now I know quite a few moves I do those to my favourite music or while listening to the radio. Aerobics has all the fun of dancing without being restricted by trying to look cool or clever. More fun than jogging on th
... See more
Here's a Guardian article about power-plates.

I do aerobics in the living-room. I started out with a couple of DVDs but now I know quite a few moves I do those to my favourite music or while listening to the radio. Aerobics has all the fun of dancing without being restricted by trying to look cool or clever. More fun than jogging on the spot, it cheers you up on a winter day; just remember to keep the curtains drawn.
Collapse

British Diana
British Diana
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Why not try a treadmill desk? Feb 1, 2010

Why don't you try a treadmill desk?

I hasten to add that I haven't got further than reading this article about them, but the idea of walking very gently and slowly for several hours at a stretch and translating all the while is a fascinating one.

Perhaps someone will post on this thread who has first-hand knowledge of one
... See more
Why don't you try a treadmill desk?

I hasten to add that I haven't got further than reading this article about them, but the idea of walking very gently and slowly for several hours at a stretch and translating all the while is a fascinating one.

Perhaps someone will post on this thread who has first-hand knowledge of one of these?

http://thoughtsontranslation.com/2008/05/07/a-hamster-wheel-with-e-mail-the-treadmill-desk/

There'a a German saying "Der Mensch ist ein Lauftier", which translates (roughly) thus: human beings are a kind of animal which is built to walk. So we ought to spend a large(r) proportion of every day moving on our feet as opposed to sitting on our rear ends.
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
treadmill desk sounds wonderful Feb 2, 2010

Wow, Diana, the treadmill desk idea is fantastic! I'd never heard of it before, but it could be just what I'm looking for. I wonder if I could set something up provisionally to see how it feels to type while walking (to be honest, I don't know whether I will be capable of it at all) before making permanent changes to my work station (taking off its drawers and putting it on stilts).
Does anyone actually use one in? I love to hear more on it.

Thanks very much for the link - it
... See more
Wow, Diana, the treadmill desk idea is fantastic! I'd never heard of it before, but it could be just what I'm looking for. I wonder if I could set something up provisionally to see how it feels to type while walking (to be honest, I don't know whether I will be capable of it at all) before making permanent changes to my work station (taking off its drawers and putting it on stilts).
Does anyone actually use one in? I love to hear more on it.

Thanks very much for the link - it was a real eye-opener for me.

And thanks too to Anne for the link to the Guardian article on power plates - all positive stuff there too.
Collapse

Nixie Adams, M.A.
Nixie Adams, M.A.
Australia
Local time: 22:04
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
New convert Feb 3, 2010

Hi Emma,

Like many other posters, I was also skeptical of these machines in the past. But your post actually prompted me to look into these power plates some more and - in the spur of the moment - order one! It arrived yesterday and I have to say I really like it. I don't think it will have much of an effect in terms of getting fit (supposedly it has a toning effect though, we will see about that), but I love being ab
... See more
Hi Emma,

Like many other posters, I was also skeptical of these machines in the past. But your post actually prompted me to look into these power plates some more and - in the spur of the moment - order one! It arrived yesterday and I have to say I really like it. I don't think it will have much of an effect in terms of getting fit (supposedly it has a toning effect though, we will see about that), but I love being able to just get up and take a break for a few minutes to losen up the body (a break that does not involve housework or jogging on the spot!).

The recommend time is 10 minutes, and the machine has a timer and will switch itself off after 10 minutes. So it's perfect for a small break every now and again. Normally I forget to get up for many hours on end, but with this machine I know I'll only be away from my desk for ten minutes, and it actually motivates me to get up. It helps that I placed it right next to my desk.

And the best part: When you put your arms on it, it's as though you are given a back and shoulder massage, just what most of us probably need after sitting at our desks all day!

So I am a convert and would recommend it.

Nicole
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
treadmill desk / power plate options Feb 5, 2010

Hey, that's great Nicole. Please post back in a month or so to tell us if you're still using your power plate and how it's going.

Are there no treadmill desk translators around?

(Diana's link again)
http://thoughtsontranslation.com/2008/05/07/a-hamster-wheel-with-e-mail-the-treadmill-desk/

Nixie Adams, M.A.
Nixie Adams, M.A.
Australia
Local time: 22:04
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
... Jan 30, 2011

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

Hey, that's great Nicole. Please post back in a month or so to tell us if you're still using your power plate and how it's going.

Are there no treadmill desk translators around?

(Diana's link again)

I just remembered this thread and wondered if you decided to get a Power Plate or a treadmill desk in the end, Emma? I'd be curious about your experience with the treadmill desk, as I can't imagine using one. I think I'd be too distracted to translate anything at all.

I'm still using my Power Plate and think it was definitely a worthwhile investment. And a new gym also opened just around the corner a few weeks ago, so finally an excuse to get out of the house to get active a few times a week!

Emma Goldsmith
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Treadmills revisited Jan 30, 2011

Nicole Y. Adams, M.A. wrote:

I just remembered this thread and wondered if you decided to get a Power Plate or a treadmill desk in the end, Emma?

Hi Nicole,
Here is the answer to your question:
http://www.proz.com/forum/health_and_lifestyle_for_language_professionals/160754-treadmill_walking_while_working-page2.html#1590835

As you will see, I have given up the combination of treadmill walking and working but the treadmill is now set up away from my desk and I do use it for 5-minute power-walking sessions to stretch my legs when I have been sitting too long at the computer. And I have gone back to jogging every morning (only 20 minute jogs though).

Thanks for your feedback about the Power Plate. It sounds as if it's going well. Makes me quite tempted...

Arianne Farah
Arianne Farah  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:04
Member (2008)
English to French
Adding in my 2 cents :-) Jan 30, 2011

I do 45 minutes on the treadmill in the morning but for short breaks when my muscles need a stretch and I need to circulate the blood because I'm getting cold, I get on the stepper for a few minutes (http://tinyurl.com/y8spnq2). It's so small I just stash it beside my desk. No need to plug it in, the batteries are just for the timer, not for the machine... See more
I do 45 minutes on the treadmill in the morning but for short breaks when my muscles need a stretch and I need to circulate the blood because I'm getting cold, I get on the stepper for a few minutes (http://tinyurl.com/y8spnq2). It's so small I just stash it beside my desk. No need to plug it in, the batteries are just for the timer, not for the machineCollapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

vibration /oscillating platforms as a form of exercise

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »