Reasons for TM naming limitations?
Thread poster: Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:33
Finnish to French
Jan 6, 2013

Heartsome imposes rather strict limitations regarding the name of TM's:

Spaces are not allowed, length can be 15 characters maximum. It's almost a trip back to DOS times in the 1980's! What are the reasons for such restrictions? All other modern CAT tools I'm aware of (including Java-based ones) are happy to use the OS's own limitations for file names, which in practice means pretty much anything goes.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
short and concise Jan 6, 2013

As for me, I don't like silly long names, therefore short names -- 15 chars is enough -- are quite descriptive, should you be laconic.

Indeed, if you prefer names like "The 1234-th translation project made on the New Year Eve (2013 A.D.) by a clever translator, Dominique Pivard (Ph.D. from ), who specializes in Business/Commerce (general), Law (general), Finance (general) Forestry / Wood / Timber, Engineering (general), IT (Information Technology), Investment / Securities and oth
... See more
As for me, I don't like silly long names, therefore short names -- 15 chars is enough -- are quite descriptive, should you be laconic.

Indeed, if you prefer names like "The 1234-th translation project made on the New Year Eve (2013 A.D.) by a clever translator, Dominique Pivard (Ph.D. from ), who specializes in Business/Commerce (general), Law (general), Finance (general) Forestry / Wood / Timber, Engineering (general), IT (Information Technology), Investment / Securities and others, and was registered at ProZ.com in November 1999, Finnish to French, a member of SKTL, can work with Adobe Acrobat, MemoQ, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Pagemaker, Powerpoint, QuarkXPress, Wordfast, has a cute site http://www.pivard.com (here is a home page: . . .), who now feels a bit tired and reluctant to work, and tries to find fault to refrain from just working on such a huge document (contents here), blah-blah-blah" then you should consider using 'all the other modern CAT tools you are aware of'.
Collapse

Bernard Lieber
Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:33
English to French
+ ...
Shortcomings Jan 7, 2013

are shortcomings when what Heartsome claims is disheartsoming

Heartsome Support
Heartsome Support
Local time: 20:33
length limitations of Oracle DB name Jan 7, 2013

This may caused by the length limitations of Oracle DB name.

We will try to make improvements for this! For example, Different DB will have different limitations.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:33
Finnish to French
TOPIC STARTER
Which DB to use with large TM's Jan 7, 2013

Heartsome Support wrote:
This may caused by the length limitations of Oracle DB name.

We will try to make improvements for this! For example, Different DB will have different limitations.

Thanks for the explanation. If one of the supported databases imposes such limitations, it can make sense to use that same limitation for all databases, in case the user decides to migrate his/her DB at some point, for instant starts with an internal DB and moves to Oracle later on.

Speaking of the type of databases: what is your recommendation for a single user with large TM's (say, more than a quarter of a million entries)? Would performance be better with a dedicated database server (if so, which one?) than with the internal database?

Heartsome Support
Heartsome Support
Local time: 20:33
Select which kind of TM Jan 7, 2013

For single user, we recommend you use internal DB. For translation team or enterprise, Mysql or Oracle will be a good choice.

For single user with large quantity of DB, Mysql or Oracle also can be an option, but the user may need certain IT knowledge to configure it.

You can wait with a little patience. I believe there will be good news for database support for Heartsome 8 in near future.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Reasons for TM naming limitations?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »