Thread poster: Iris Shalev

Iris Shalev  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 17:34
English to Dutch
+ ...
Feb 26, 2007

שלום!

I see that I am the first one to post on the Hebrew Forum... I am very sorry for posting in English!! My Hebrew is not (yet) good enough to write easily or to translate from...

I am Dutch but live in Israel. I would like to establish myself as a freelance translator - English/Dutch, Dutch/English. One of my starting questions is about rates... Does anyone know what the average translation rates are in Israel? I read lots of threads in other forums and the rates seem to vary hugely according to where you are in the world.

Thanks!

Iris Shalev.

Direct link Reply with quote

Laura Gentili  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:34
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Rates in Israel Feb 26, 2007

Iris shalom,

Given your language pairs, you can work for anyone, not only Israeli companies. Of course some outsourcers prefer to give translation jobs to translators who live either in the target language country or in the source language country.
If you establish good relationships with international clients, you can charge standard rates for your language pairs (nobody ever expected me to ask lower rates because I was based in Israel).

As for Israeli translation companies, for my language pair (English into Italian) they used to offer 0.05-0.06 US$ per source word (but I left 4 years ago, so these figures might be not updated). On the other hand, I did some jobs for Israeli colleagues who work directly with the end clients and they would pay 0.10 US$ per source word. So you should devote some efforts to building a network with other colleagues.

I hope this helps a bit.
Laura

[Edited at 2007-02-26 18:00]

Stephen Rifkind  Identity Verified
Israel
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
ITA rates and reality Feb 26, 2007

Dear Iris:

The Israeli Translation Association recommends around 88 NIS per page, if I am not wrong. See their site for exact information. THe market itself is very fluid. Some agencies and companies pay that rate and higher, while too many are around the 65 NIS. If you work in Israel, you have to add 15.5% VAT also. So, as usual in Israel, nothing is too clear.

(I live there and love the country, but one has to make fun of the Middle East to survive in it!)

Stephen Rifkind

Israel
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks! Feb 27, 2007

Thanks Laura! Yes it did help!

Iris.

[Edited at 2007-02-27 08:04]

Israel
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks as well! Feb 27, 2007

Thanks Stephen!

Thanks also for mentioning the ITA, I hadn't heard of them yet! Their website is very useful.

I suppose I'll have to start practising making 'combinot'! And Israelis do seem to have a very 'black' sense of humour, it used to quite shock me at first. Israel is a hard country to live in, but I love it too!

Iris.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

rates in Israel?

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs