https://www.proz.com/forum/hebrew/85649-problems_with_encoding_in_trados_workbench_and_tageditor.html

Problems with encoding in Trados Workbench and TagEditor
Thread poster: Olga Ryznar, MD
Olga Ryznar, MD
Olga Ryznar, MD
Czech Republic
Local time: 16:55
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Oct 4, 2007

The problem is this:
First time in my life I received a PowerPoint file as a source document, and was asked to have it translated in Trados TagEditor (also never used before). They also sent me a TM txt file. I imported the file to Trados without problems, Trados recognized translation units (TUs). But when I started translation, on the first match Trados gave me the existing translation in Hebrew from the TM in a strange encoding, which looks like this: ”׳ ׳—׳™׳•׳× ׳œ׳¦
... See more
The problem is this:
First time in my life I received a PowerPoint file as a source document, and was asked to have it translated in Trados TagEditor (also never used before). They also sent me a TM txt file. I imported the file to Trados without problems, Trados recognized translation units (TUs). But when I started translation, on the first match Trados gave me the existing translation in Hebrew from the TM in a strange encoding, which looks like this: ”׳ ׳—׳™׳•׳× ׳œ׳¦׳™׳œ׳•׳ž׳™ ׳¨׳ 

I opened the txt file in Notepad, there it was fine, readable and encoded in UTF-8 format. I tried to re-save it as Unicode, and open again in a new TM. Trados could open, but couldn't recognize any TUs (like an empty TM).

I had this kind of problems in the past, but usually it was in a contrary way - I could read the Hebrew in Trados, and could not in Notepad. When I couldn't read or were other encoding problems with Trados, I was just transforming the whole document to Arial font, and usually (surprisingly!) it solved the problem.

But this time the document is a presentation file, and I really don't want to change the formatting of the whole document (and not sure it could be easilly done).

So the question is - how to fix the problem and to have readable Hebrew from TM?
I hope you can help me!
Thank you.
Collapse

Doron Greenspan MITI
Doron Greenspan MITI  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 17:55
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Try another document Oct 4, 2007

Hi Olga,

Sorry I had to direct you from Kudoz to this forum...

I worked a lot into Hebrew with TagEditor, but never had this kind of problem.

I believe you first need to check where the problem lies:

1. Try using another TM to see if that's a TM problem - you'll have to enter a new segment into the PPT which matches the TM's content.
2. Try using another PPT to see if the PPT is the problem - same about adding a relevant segment as i
... See more
Hi Olga,

Sorry I had to direct you from Kudoz to this forum...

I worked a lot into Hebrew with TagEditor, but never had this kind of problem.

I believe you first need to check where the problem lies:

1. Try using another TM to see if that's a TM problem - you'll have to enter a new segment into the PPT which matches the TM's content.
2. Try using another PPT to see if the PPT is the problem - same about adding a relevant segment as in (1).
3. Try sending me the PPT and the TM to see if I can open it correctly - to see whether it's a TagEditor problem.

Best, Doron
Collapse

Olga Ryznar, MD
Olga Ryznar, MD
Czech Republic
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 4, 2007

Hi, Doron,

Thank you for redirecting me here.

I followed your instructions, and here are the results:

1. Trados can open TM made by me in the past, when it is a tmw file. I reads Hebrew well.

2. Trados can open txt TM made by me, it was encoded ANSI, and unreadable in Notepad.

3. Trados could not open a txt TM file sent to me in the past by the same sourse - it had been encoded ANSI, and was unreadsble in Notepad. When trying to o
... See more
Hi, Doron,

Thank you for redirecting me here.

I followed your instructions, and here are the results:

1. Trados can open TM made by me in the past, when it is a tmw file. I reads Hebrew well.

2. Trados can open txt TM made by me, it was encoded ANSI, and unreadable in Notepad.

3. Trados could not open a txt TM file sent to me in the past by the same sourse - it had been encoded ANSI, and was unreadsble in Notepad. When trying to open, Trados considered all segments as invalid. (the current problematic TM it opens, recognizes segments but Hebrew in matching segments ia unreadsble)

4. When I added a suitable segment to a PPT file, it had been recognized by both txt and tmw TM made by me, and the Hebrew was readable.

So it seems like something with the TM which they send me.

The company can not send me the TM as a tmw file, because they have Trados 7.0 and I have 6.5. Mine just can't read it.

Do you have an idea, what can be done?
If not - where do I get your e-mail?

Thank you - thank you- thank you!
Olga
Collapse

Doron Greenspan MITI
Israel
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
My email Oct 4, 2007

Well, at least, this focuses the problem - but I don't have a ready solution, I'm afraid.
You can send the file/TM to my email address: [email protected].
Maybe then I can work out the problem.

Thanks, Doron

Olga Ryznar, MD
Olga Ryznar, MD
Czech Republic
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Oct 4, 2007

Thank you very much.
I try the last chance.

Olga

Olga Ryznar, MD
Olga Ryznar, MD
Czech Republic
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you again! Oct 4, 2007

Dear Doron,

My PM just sent me a TagEditor file for this, and it started to work. So the problem was obviously in the TM. Thank you very much for help, it is important for me to know, that the problem is not in my software. Your advise was very helpful!

Olga

Doron Greenspan MITI
Israel
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Great news! Oct 4, 2007

I'm glad you sorted that one - I had cases in the past where I had perfect matches on a TM provided by the client, only they were in Chinese...

Don't hesitate to ask again, and if it's not Hebrew-specific, you can try the excellent Trados Forum (http://www.proz.com/forum/65) where the real experts are.

Hag Same'ah, Doron

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Problems with encoding in Trados Workbench and TagEditor

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »