Tomás Cano Binder, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:57
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 26, 2008

Dear colleagues,

Sorry for not being able to write in Hindi. I am an English/German > Spanish translator based in Spain. Today I am working on a job which contains a number of company names, all preceded by "M/S". I would like to internationalise this into Spanish.

What does "M/S" in front of a company name in India? Is it a type of incorporation, like "Ltd"? What type of company is it?

Thank you very much in advance for your local insight!

Direct link Reply with quote

Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to Hindi
+ ...
Messrs Sep 26, 2008

M/S is the short form for Messrs.

It is neither a Hindi word nor an Indian English word. It is an old practice that we have inherited from the British Era.

For more information:

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=50096&dict=CALD

http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/messrs?view=uk

You'll find the German equivalent in IATE. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the Spanish equivalent but I think you'll be able to find that out.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Reetu Bhanot

[Edited at 2008-09-26 12:10]

Tomás Cano Binder, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you so much! Sep 26, 2008

Oh I see! I must confess I was dumb and did not check the English dictionary. I took for granted that it meant some form of incorporation in India. My apologies!

Thank you so much for the clarification Reetu!

Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to Hindi
+ ...
Indian Companies Act Sep 26, 2008

Hi,

You are welcome. All of us have such days, no need to apologise.

I have studied Indian Companies and Business Law at University and we follow the British Practices most of the time. At the same time, we have some structures of our own such as the Joint Hindu Family Business:

http://business.gov.in/starting_business/joint_hindu.php

In case of M/S, it is a short form and it is difficult to find it online. You have to know the full-form to be able to search for it.

Don't worry, life is a learning process. And asking questions is the best way.

Reetu

[Edited at 2008-09-26 12:21]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

What does M/S mean?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs