Emmanuelle Moulin
Emmanuelle Moulin  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:13
English to French
+ ...
Sep 3, 2007

Hi all,

I am translating an English into French Indian film script, but the English text was originally translated from Hindi (I think). I would like to know how to translate "you", as there are, in French, two ways of tranlating it, "le tutoiement" (informal) and " le vouvoiement" (formal).

As I do not know much of Indian languages and culture, I am wondering which one you would use, ie. between a shop owner and his younger employee, a man to a taxi driver, two friend
... See more
Hi all,

I am translating an English into French Indian film script, but the English text was originally translated from Hindi (I think). I would like to know how to translate "you", as there are, in French, two ways of tranlating it, "le tutoiement" (informal) and " le vouvoiement" (formal).

As I do not know much of Indian languages and culture, I am wondering which one you would use, ie. between a shop owner and his younger employee, a man to a taxi driver, two friends, a son to his father, two employees in a company, etc. What is the general cultural trend ?

Thank you in advance.

Emmanuelle
Collapse

Binod Ringania
Binod Ringania  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 22:43
Member (2009)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Translating 'you' from Hindi, to English, to French Sep 3, 2007

In Indian culture a person can be addressed in three ways :
1. A father to his son : Tu (used in case of close intimacy, informal)
2. A shop owner to his employee : Tum (subordinate but not close intimate, so formal)
3. A student to his teacher : Aap (formal and with respect)

Emmanuelle Moulin
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Sep 3, 2007

Binod Ringania wrote:

In Indian culture a person can be addressed in three ways :
1. A father to his son : Tu (used in case of close intimacy, informal)
2. A shop owner to his employee : Tum (subordinate but not close intimate, so formal)
3. A student to his teacher : Aap (formal and with respect)

Thank you very much, that's exactly what I needed.

Regards,

Emmanuelle

Emmanuelle Moulin
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Translating 'you' between spouses Sep 8, 2007

Hi, I need your help again about the same question. This time, I am wondering which form should be used between two people (a man and a woman) getting to know each other then getting married.

The woman hired the man for some work around the house, so the form would have been 'tum' i believe. Then he becomes her paying guest in her house so their relationship gets a bit closer but I guess they would still use 'tum', but the problem arises when they get married together - would they
... See more
Hi, I need your help again about the same question. This time, I am wondering which form should be used between two people (a man and a woman) getting to know each other then getting married.

The woman hired the man for some work around the house, so the form would have been 'tum' i believe. Then he becomes her paying guest in her house so their relationship gets a bit closer but I guess they would still use 'tum', but the problem arises when they get married together - would they use 'tum' or move on to 'tu' ? What is the cultural trend for that ? I know that in some cultures, spouses are supposed to talk formally to each other (esp. women towards men). Is it the case in India ?

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards,

Emmanuelle
Collapse

Binod Ringania
Binod Ringania  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 22:43
Member (2009)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Translating you between spouses Sep 10, 2007

Hi,
In this case as you have indicated the husband and wife will call each other as 'tum'.
In many Indian families wives call their husband as 'Aap' and the husband call the wife as 'tum'.
'Tu' is very rarely used in such cases.

Emmanuelle Moulin
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you ! Sep 10, 2007

Binod Ringania wrote:

Hi,
In this case as you have indicated the husband and wife will call each other as 'tum'.
In many Indian families wives call their husband as 'Aap' and the husband call the wife as 'tum'.
'Tu' is very rarely used in such cases.

Thank you - I'm a bit surprised that they wouldn't use 'tu' at all after the wedding, but I did think it could be the case in India.

Thank you Binod, for your help and cultural enlightenment.

Regards,

Emmanuelle

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Amar Nath[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating "you" in text translated from Hindi into English, into French

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »