Thread poster: Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:46
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 20, 2002

Broward County in Florida won an achievement award from the National Association of Counties for its trilingual website. Here are the French and Spanish versions. In the announcement of the award, we can read: \"The tran... See more
Broward County in Florida won an achievement award from the National Association of Counties for its trilingual website. Here are the French and Spanish versions. In the announcement of the award, we can read: \"The translations were performed utilizing translation software and then reviewed by several sources, such as: county employees, teachers, bilingual staff, etc., to ensure a quality product. [...] Out [sic] statistical data indicates that the combined Spanish and French versions now have more page views than the English version.\"Collapse

Pilar Megías
Pilar Megías
Local time: 03:46
English to Catalan
+ ...
Is that an award wining translation? Aug 20, 2002

Visit:

English version homepage:

http://www.co.broward.fl.us/agriculture/english/general/hurricane.htm

Spanish version homepage:

http://www.co.broward.fl.us/agriculture/spanish/general/hurricane.htm

... See more
Visit:

English version homepage:

http://www.co.broward.fl.us/agriculture/english/general/hurricane.htm

Spanish version homepage:

http://www.co.broward.fl.us/agriculture/spanish/general/hurricane.htm

---

The following text comes from the Spanish main page.

TRADUZCA LA PAGINA ACTUAL

EL INGLÉS

EL FRANCÉS

CHASQUEE SU BOTON DE ESPALDA PARA VOLVER A ESTA PAGINA

LA DENEGACION: El software del traductor se utilizó para la conversión de este sitio de Web, y aunque revisáramos la conversión para la certeza, los errores gramaticales secundarios pueden ocurrir. Sus comentarios se apreciarían. Por favor email: [email protected]

Food and Water

Children\'s Concerns

Landscape Preparations

Caring for Hurricane Damaged Home Landscape Plants

El huracán Preparedness para Edificios de tipo Propaganda

Los Edificios de la Granja que protegen de la Tempestad Enrollan

Cómo Aminorar el Daño de Viento en el Jardín del sur de la Florida

La Recuperación de Turf que promueve después de Huracánes

Difunda las Consideraciones de huracán para la Guardería Infantil Comercial

Comenzar las Cosechas Nuevas en Invernaderos Inundados/Shadehouses

Los Escombros que limpian de la Tierra

Cuidar de Escombros Inundados de Céspedes

Evaluar y Arboles de Paisaje que Tratan que Sigue un Huracán

Cuidar de Palmas Dañadas de Huracán

Los Arbustos Dañados de la Inundación que salvan y Ornamentals

La Sombra dañada, Ornamental, y Arboles de Fruta

Plante Arboles Detenidamente después de un Huracán

Salvar Desarraigó Parcialmente Arboles

La cadena Vio la Seguridad

El comején Actualiza - El resorte y el Verano

El agua La conservación En Las guarderías infantiles

En El Registro Animal Grande De la Línea

Dueños Del Caballo: Usted está preparado para la estación del huracán?

Kit Equino De la Evacuación Del Ganado

Kit De Primeros auxilios De Equine/Livestock

El Control de la peste

La gerencia estructural, del ser humano y del animal doméstico del insecto del parásito es una preocupación importante, y una industria enorme en el condado de Broward. Los parásitos tienen gusto de termitas, carpintero y otras hormigas, insectos venenosos, parásitos del insecto del ser humano y del animal doméstico, despensa e insectos de la tela, y una variedad de otros insectos del fastidio puede toda afectar nuestras vidas sobre una base periódica.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-20 15:39 ]
Collapse

Margaret Schroeder
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Spring shots Aug 20, 2002

Let me share a couple of examples from this \"award-winning\" site for those not lucky enough to include French or Spanish in their languages.

In an article on the importance of having your horse vaccinated for rabies in the spring, the sentence \"Now is the time for spring shots\" made it into Spanish as \"Ahora sea el tiempo para disparos de resorte.\"

The word used here for \"shots\" means shots from a gun, and the word used for \"spring\" means some
... See more
Let me share a couple of examples from this \"award-winning\" site for those not lucky enough to include French or Spanish in their languages.

In an article on the importance of having your horse vaccinated for rabies in the spring, the sentence \"Now is the time for spring shots\" made it into Spanish as \"Ahora sea el tiempo para disparos de resorte.\"

The word used here for \"shots\" means shots from a gun, and the word used for \"spring\" means something springy or elastic, such as a coiled wire spring or an elastic band.

\"Back button\", as in click on to go back, is \"the button on your back\" in Spanish, and \"backside button\" in French!

Collapse

Silvina Beatriz Codina
Silvina Beatriz Codina  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 22:46
English to Spanish
¡No manera! (That is "no way for ya) Aug 20, 2002

Jeez on a Pony! Who gives these awards???

The most amazing thing, is that \"la denegación\" (the Disclaimer, I guess) claims that the text is revised (or \"may be revised,\" who knows what they mean?) for accuracy, but \"secondary\" errors may occur Revised by whom? By the same guy who gave this an award?

And they add that \"my comments would be appreciated,\" and they give their email. Well, if they
... See more
Jeez on a Pony! Who gives these awards???

The most amazing thing, is that \"la denegación\" (the Disclaimer, I guess) claims that the text is revised (or \"may be revised,\" who knows what they mean?) for accuracy, but \"secondary\" errors may occur Revised by whom? By the same guy who gave this an award?

And they add that \"my comments would be appreciated,\" and they give their email. Well, if they really would appreciate my comments... they are going to get them, all right!

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-20 19:50 ]
Collapse

José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)
José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 22:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
Gonna cry...or should I go out and drink?!?!? Aug 20, 2002

Hola,

I can see myself inside the booth and a mechanical cold voice saying \"Please, beep! get the %%=?%&? out. I am the interpreting replacement for you...beep! beep!\"

Cheers,

JL

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-20 17:30 ]

John Kinory (X)
John Kinory (X)
Local time: 02:46
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Not as long as there are some sane clients around :-) Aug 20, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-08-20 17:22, Pepelu wrote:

I can see myself inside the booth and a mechanical cold voice saying \"Please, beep! get the %%=?%&? out. I am the interpreting replacement for you...beep! beep!\"

Was it a rude word you edited out (where the nice punctuation marks now appear)? )

Seriously, I don\'t think we need to w... See more
Quote:

On 2002-08-20 17:22, Pepelu wrote:

Was it a rude word you edited out (where the nice punctuation marks now appear)? )

Seriously, I don\'t think we need to worry too much.
[addsig] ▲ Collapse

Margaret Schroeder
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
"Edited" Aug 20, 2002

One more comment, and then I really should get back to work. I started this thread with the title \"Machine translation wins award\", but a moderator added the word \"Edited\".

Well, I don\'t know if taking the editing into consideration makes it better or worse! True, many of the howlers on this site are clearly a result of machine translation.

But the texts were then reviewed by \"several sources, such as: county employees, teachers, bilingual staff,
... See more
One more comment, and then I really should get back to work. I started this thread with the title \"Machine translation wins award\", but a moderator added the word \"Edited\".

Well, I don\'t know if taking the editing into consideration makes it better or worse! True, many of the howlers on this site are clearly a result of machine translation.

But the texts were then reviewed by \"several sources, such as: county employees, teachers, bilingual staff, etc., to ensure a quality product\". So this also says something about depending on non-translators for quality assurance in a translation. Even a non-speaker could have identified some of the errors just by cross-checking in a set of dictionaries! It boggles my mind.
Collapse

Karin Adamczyk (X)
Karin Adamczyk (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:46
French to English
I don't understand Aug 20, 2002

It sounds like people are surprised at the quality of the text.

It seems to me we should be happy with such awards as they clearly show that machine translation and revisions by non-professionals prove the point that there is no substitute for a professional translator. We really don\'t need to spend time analyzing these things -- lets just enjoy the fact that machine translation (and revision by non-professionals) speaks for itself.

Or, am I missing so
... See more
It sounds like people are surprised at the quality of the text.

It seems to me we should be happy with such awards as they clearly show that machine translation and revisions by non-professionals prove the point that there is no substitute for a professional translator. We really don\'t need to spend time analyzing these things -- lets just enjoy the fact that machine translation (and revision by non-professionals) speaks for itself.

Or, am I missing something?
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
no MANERA!!! Aug 21, 2002

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
Award?? Aug 21, 2002

for whom?

It\'s evident: They are indirectly awarding our profession!

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Edited machine translation wins award

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »