Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >
Jack Doughty\'s Golden Jubilee
Thread poster: Libero_Lang_Lab
xeni (X)
xeni (X)
English to Russian
+ ...
Congratulations, Jack! Feb 9, 2003

It is always a pleasure to read your answers and comments and jokes.

Hope we\'ll be enjoying them all the time!

Gilda Manara
Gilda Manara  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 15:03
German to Italian
+ ...
Congratulations! Feb 9, 2003

I agree with everybody - even with the 6 interventions by Mats . Congratulations for these first 50 years, the next 50 ones will certainly be even more interesting!!!

Gilda

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:03
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
I am overwhelmed! Feb 9, 2003

I have been away for the weekend visiting my son & his wife, & I come back to find all this!

I am most grateful to you all, and to Dan Brennan in particular, for all your kind words and compliments. I can only say that I have found all of you and ProZ members in general very helpful and friendly towards me, and I am glad you feel that I have been able to repay this in some small way.

Dan, you are very slightly premature. In February 1953 I was still on a Russian course, at
... See more
I have been away for the weekend visiting my son & his wife, & I come back to find all this!

I am most grateful to you all, and to Dan Brennan in particular, for all your kind words and compliments. I can only say that I have found all of you and ProZ members in general very helpful and friendly towards me, and I am glad you feel that I have been able to repay this in some small way.

Dan, you are very slightly premature. In February 1953 I was still on a Russian course, at the end of which, in June 1953, six of us were posted to an RAF signals unit in Hongkong.

We were marched in to see the Senior Intelligence Officer.

SIO: “Ah, our six new linguists! Do you speak Mandarin or Cantonese?”

Corporal: “Russian, sir.”

Consternation! We were not expected and they hadn’t a clue what to do with us. As an ex engine fitter, I spent the first month working on an outboard motor belonging to an officer. Eventually they did find a very small amount of work, which I and one other stayed on to do, from August 1953 onwards, while the other four went back to Europe after a free trip to the Far East at the RAF’s expense.

After such an inauspicious start, things could only get better. I have always enjoyed translating, in staff jobs for the RAF, Civil Service and BBC, as well as freelance work.

Those of you who wish me a further 50 years are probably aiming a little high, but I hope to carry on for a few more years yet.

Thank you all once again.

Jack Doughty.

Collapse

Guillermo de la Puerta
Guillermo de la Puerta  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
I show my respects Feb 10, 2003

Congratulations Jack !

It is easy to say it in 3 words: 50 years translating. But a great deal more difficult to accomplish it especially in a profession that not always has been considered as such.

As a visitor of the Russian corner in proz I show you my respects.

And don\'t leave that relatively mischivieous sense of humour

Kind Regards wildlp ...
See more
Congratulations Jack !

It is easy to say it in 3 words: 50 years translating. But a great deal more difficult to accomplish it especially in a profession that not always has been considered as such.

As a visitor of the Russian corner in proz I show you my respects.

And don\'t leave that relatively mischivieous sense of humour

Kind Regards wildlp

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-02-10 00:23]
Collapse

Larissa Boutrimova
Larissa Boutrimova  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:03
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Congratulations from Toronto! Feb 10, 2003

Dear Jack, we in the English-Russian pair are lucky to have you as the most helpful and respected colleague. And you\'re a very nice person too! Thanks for sharing your invaluable knowledge and a keen sense of humour; like many other pros I benefited time after time from your answers. Keep it this way for many years to come!

And thanks to Dan for letting us know.

Larissa

Carlos Moreno
Carlos Moreno  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 08:03
English to Spanish
+ ...
That's great news! Feb 10, 2003

Having among us people with such experience is so good for all! We all have much to learn from people like Jack Doughty. His wisdom, the excellent links he gives us, his fine humor, are very valuable for all of us who are fortunate to enjoy them.

But let\'s be warned! He\'s just picking up speed! We will have Jack Doughty for quite a while!

Terry Burgess
Terry Burgess  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:03
Spanish to English
+ ...
NICE ONE JACK!!!!:-) Feb 10, 2003

This must surely be some kind of record

Well Jack,

they say the first 50 years are the toughest...then the rest is all downhill.

Happy Coasting

Terry

PS:

Cheers Dan for letting us know!

Sergey Gorelik
Sergey Gorelik
Local time: 16:03
English to Russian
+ ...
Happy to join the club Feb 10, 2003

Congratulations, Jack! Looking forward to learning more from you.

Sara Noss
Sara Noss  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:03
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Jack, Feb 10, 2003

I don\'t know you personally, but it is always

an honour to get an agree from you & read your comments.

All the best!

Sara.

Nikolai Muraviev
Nikolai Muraviev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
Jack, best wishes to you! Feb 10, 2003

You\'re really great! It\'s always nice to contact with you!

May I wish you happiness, blue sky over your home land!

With very best wishes,

Nikolai Muraviev

RUSSIA, St.Petersburg

Yakov Tomara
Yakov Tomara  Identity Verified
English to Russian
+ ...
Congratulations!!! Feb 10, 2003

Congratulations and the very best wishes to you and your family, Jack!

Silvina Beatriz Codina
Silvina Beatriz Codina  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 10:03
English to Spanish
Congrats on the first 50 years! Feb 10, 2003

I join Jack\'s chorus of admirers a bit late on the day, but it is never too late to celebrate a person whose contributions are not only useful, but also warm-hearted and full of that scarce and sorely needed merchandise, sense of humour.

I know nothing about them exotic liquors, but I contribute with a bottle of Chandon\'s rosé brut champagne (in my modest opinion, the best in the world)... Cheers! ...
See more
I join Jack\'s chorus of admirers a bit late on the day, but it is never too late to celebrate a person whose contributions are not only useful, but also warm-hearted and full of that scarce and sorely needed merchandise, sense of humour.

I know nothing about them exotic liquors, but I contribute with a bottle of Chandon\'s rosé brut champagne (in my modest opinion, the best in the world)... Cheers!
Collapse

Maria Eugenia Farre
Maria Eugenia Farre  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:03
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Parabéns! Feb 10, 2003

Hi Jack,

50 years worth of translating means millions of words, I bet!

My sincerest congratulations!

ME

Mads Grøftehauge
Mads Grøftehauge  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
My cap's off to you. Feb 10, 2003

Jack,

You don\'t know me, and I hardly know you, but when I\'ve come across your posts I\'ve always been impressed with you humour and knowledge. You\'re a cool guy.

To know that you\'ve braved this business for fifty years merely adds to my admiration. All the praise in this thread (so far) is well-founded.

Sincerly,

Mads

(Toasting your health in Bowmore 12y).

Bill Greendyk
Bill Greendyk  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:03
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Feb 10, 2003

Dear Jack,

What a milestone!!!! How much we could all learn from you! Each day we come across known and unknown faces here at Proz, but if there\'s one person who I\'ve always had the desire to meet in person, it\'s Jack Doughty. May you be here with us many more years!

A virtual hug,

Bill

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Jack Doughty\'s Golden Jubilee

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »