is there a hungarian equivalent...
Thread poster: Libero_Lang_Lab

Libero_Lang_Lab  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:11
Russian to English
+ ...
Apr 27, 2003

...for the cockney rhyming slang term \"brahms and liszt\"?

Direct link Reply with quote

Eva Blanar  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 00:11
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Dunno, but... Apr 27, 2003

...if you want to read more about that, why don\'t you visit, say, http://www.businessballs.com/cockney.htm ?

Oops, I clicked on \"submit\" too early.

In my opinion, the cockney slang is quite unique and, even though special language strata exist elsewhere as well, it is too British to have \"translations\" or equivalents. In the Hungarian language, for instance, it is rare to use names or their derivatives for the slang and we definitely do not use the sort of association-type abbreviations and integrations you mention.

[ This Message was edited by: sbe on 2003-04-27 06:03]

xxxErika P  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
No EC2 in Budapest – got Kőbánya instead Apr 27, 2003

Kõbánya (lierally: \"Stone quarry\", district X, Pest side) is famous for its beer factory/brewery churning out a nationally popular lager called \"Kõbányai Világos\". Once the district was the epitome of \"working class heroes\" but as you might guess, the atmosphere has been changing.

When it comes to explaining the glorious state of being smashed, Hungarian slang words are just as colourful and inventive as their colleagues’ up in Cheapside. I have a collection of slang glossaries (prison, army, student, etc) if you are seriously interested... but must admit the expressions can be tricky to translate into English.

As far as I know there isn’t a slang expression tarnishing the names of these two...not even other classical composers’. What a bleedin’ shame.

Mind you, last time I visited the main Market Hall in Pest I am sure I heard one of the traders yelling:

\"Broadband Access for High-Speed Multimedia via Satellite!\"

\"Free Mailing List!\"

In perfect English, of course.

About \"THE BEER\", Kõbányai Világos:

http://www.foltnet.hu/cybeersite/index.htm

(...one connection springs to mind between \"Hungarocockneys\" and classical music. A cheap’n nasty brand of fags called \"Szimfónia\" or Symphony, only for those with hardened lungs.)

I agree with Éva about the uniqueness of cockney rhyming slang: \"we definitely do not use the sort of association-type abbreviations and integrations you mention\". True.

On the other hand, the typical slang of Budapest (\"jassz-language\") is rich in expressions using names of famous personalities. I have looked through my collection and still haven’t found Brahms and Liszt! How very odd...

[ This Message was edited by: Erika Pál on 2003-04-28 13:00]

[ This Message was edited by: Erika Pál on 2003-04-30 14:52]

English to Hungarian
+ ...
an off(ish) question Apr 28, 2003

[ This Message was edited by: Erika Pál on 2003-05-01 02:02]

Libero_Lang_Lab  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
bartok May 1, 2003

i did once - when i claimed to be half decent at the cello. i wouldn\'t risk it these days - it wouldn\'t be very pretty.

but i like him

a lot

English to Hungarian
+ ...
"bartók" May 2, 2003

making noises with the cello...sounds lovely...

Bartók’s name has definitely made it into slang as his portrait used to adorn the characteristic bedsheet-sized and bottle green 1000 HUF banknotes:

\"Give me a bartók\", \"Give me a thousand\", \"Adj egy bartókot/ezrest!\" No rhyming here either, I am afraid.

I would be surprised if Sir Edward\'s name has been used in the cockney or other slang dialects in spoken BrE. \"Give me an elgar (20 GBP banknote) mate, will ya’\" does sound a tad inappropriate somehow...

A question:

First time I heard this in the UK – I am not sure if it’s an idiom or not:

\"Go to Budapest!\"

Is it equivalent to \"get lost\" or …something else? (The mouth belonged to a drunk female who screamed it at some chap. 2 mins later she slapped him across the face.)

[ This Message was edited by: Erika Pál on 2003-05-02 17:43]

fruitbat
Hungarian to English
+ ...
Going to Budapest... May 6, 2003

Dear Erika,

As far as I know (which is reasonably far, I like to think) there is no such idiom - although it does sound like a rather good suggestion!

Thanks for sharing some fascinating facts about the Hungarian capital!

FB

English to Hungarian
+ ...
Köszönöm a választ May 7, 2003

I am pleased to hear that – it has been bugging me for weeks now yet I could not bring myself to post it as a Kudoz question.

Budapest: apparently, a promising powwow coming up on Friday (0905). Don’t miss the boat, fruitbat!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Ildiko Santana[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

is there a hungarian equivalent...

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs