https://www.proz.com/forum/hungarian/120716-i_need_some_pronunciation_help.html

I need some pronunciation help!
Thread poster: RolGreenberg
RolGreenberg
RolGreenberg
English
Nov 15, 2008

i want to know how to properly pronounce these 3 hungarian surnames. Karsai,Tatai and Halmai. i will write the pronunciation the way that i have been saying it and if i am wrong,can someone please correct me. Karsai - car-shy........Tatai - ta-tie.......Halmai - hal-my. i think i am pronouncing it totally wrong. thanks for your help!

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 03:31
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
place a KudoZ question Nov 17, 2008

Dear Rol, place a KudoZ question, and you will get the answer within few minutes.

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 03:31
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
explanation Nov 17, 2008

Karsai - car-shy........Tatai - ta-tie.......Halmai - hal-my
I am not specialized in English, therefore, my answer can be not completely correct, but I try to help you:
Karsai is k a r sh a i ( the beginning has to be pronounced , like the word "hard"
kharsha - this a again has to be pronounced , like the "a" in the word "hard" and the i at the end like the "ee" in English in the word "bee", so completely it is close to khar-sha-ee
with Tatai almost the same, its "t" lik
... See more
Karsai - car-shy........Tatai - ta-tie.......Halmai - hal-my
I am not specialized in English, therefore, my answer can be not completely correct, but I try to help you:
Karsai is k a r sh a i ( the beginning has to be pronounced , like the word "hard"
kharsha - this a again has to be pronounced , like the "a" in the word "hard" and the i at the end like the "ee" in English in the word "bee", so completely it is close to khar-sha-ee
with Tatai almost the same, its "t" lik ethe "t" in the word "tongue",
so
ta (like previous "a" in "hard) - ta -ee,

with the Halmai is the same thing with "a"-s and i at the end like -ee in the word "bee"

Hope it helps a bit;-)
Collapse

RolGreenberg
RolGreenberg
English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks. Nov 17, 2008

thanks alot erzsebet..i understand how to pronounce these names now! i wont need to do the KudoZ.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Ildiko Santana[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I need some pronunciation help!

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »