Peter Adolph
Peter Adolph
Local time: 03:44
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
Mar 19, 2007

Can someone please tell me what this means:

"Hol latinos, hol magyaros az írásmód. Kérem egységesíteni az SPC-ben. A PIL-ben feltétlenül magyaros legyen."

It is the HU reviewer at OGYI who has written an instruction/command to my vendor, and I need to understand what they say.

best regards,
peter fl. adolph

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
answer Mar 19, 2007

Writing style sometimes follows Latin, sometimes Hungarian usage. This should be made consistent in SPC. Style must follow Hungarian usage in PIL.

I beleive the text must be medical, am I right? Hungarian medical jargon uses very outdated Latin spelling even for words that have established Hungarian spelling.

[Edited at 2007-03-19 19:59]

Peter Adolph
Peter Adolph
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, it is medical language (summary ... Mar 19, 2007

of product characteristics) ... Thanks a lot!

Peter

Eva Blanar
Eva Blanar  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Explanation Mar 19, 2007

The point is that, say, TBC can be written either tuberculosis (in the Latin "manner") or tuberkulózis (in the "Hungarian way") and it seems that in the text these two writings are mixed up.

For me, SPC and PIL are a mystery, but probably these are forms or files and the requirement is
- to use the fully Hungarian transcription in that PIL and
- to "make it uniform" in the SPC-something.

Users of medical documents are quite patient abour these things, so
... See more
The point is that, say, TBC can be written either tuberculosis (in the Latin "manner") or tuberkulózis (in the "Hungarian way") and it seems that in the text these two writings are mixed up.

For me, SPC and PIL are a mystery, but probably these are forms or files and the requirement is
- to use the fully Hungarian transcription in that PIL and
- to "make it uniform" in the SPC-something.

Users of medical documents are quite patient abour these things, so this is not a major problem - you might be surprised with the many ways Hungarian doctors can write some basic terms (sometimes half-Latin, half-Hungarian, within the same word). So if you are an outsourcer, don't scold the translator
Collapse

Peter Adolph
Peter Adolph
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hmm ... Mar 19, 2007

Thx for your addional explanation, Eva.

Tell me, is there some kind of linguistic struggle going on in Hungary btw. different ways of spelling?

Just wondering ...

/peter

Jim Tucker (X)
Jim Tucker (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Hungarian to English
+ ...
no linguistic struggle; instead: Mar 19, 2007

You are translating two types of description for a pharmaceutical.

The SPC is the Summary of Product Characteristics, and the audience will be medical professionals, hence Latinate usage is ok.

The PIL is the Patient Information Leaflet, so for laypersons' eyes, and therefore would avoid the Latinate in favor of the local vernacular - Hungarian in this case.

Enjoy!

Jim

Jim Tucker (X)
Jim Tucker (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Hungarian to English
+ ...
oh, and Mar 19, 2007

The section (paragraph) titles for these kinds of documents are totally standardized, by the way, both in English and Hungarian. You should be able to find examples on the net on pharma websites. If you have trouble locating one let me know and I'll dig one up.

J

Peter Adolph
Peter Adolph
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thx, Jim Mar 19, 2007

I know; this kind of translation is extremely regulated ... I've been managing 12 languages in this EMEA/regulatory affairs project, and for some reason the HU was particularly difficult to get approved at the local authorities.

I just needed to know if I could replace a section and replace it with another one (to which this comment was attached). Normally I would ask the translator to do it, but they went home at 18.00 and I needed to deliver to my client tonight.

BT
... See more
I know; this kind of translation is extremely regulated ... I've been managing 12 languages in this EMEA/regulatory affairs project, and for some reason the HU was particularly difficult to get approved at the local authorities.

I just needed to know if I could replace a section and replace it with another one (to which this comment was attached). Normally I would ask the translator to do it, but they went home at 18.00 and I needed to deliver to my client tonight.

BTW: This is (one of) the good thing(s) about ProZ.com: You get almost instant help!

Peter
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Ildiko Santana[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Urgent help with understanding HU phrase reg. SPC-correction

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »