Memopal - anyone used it?
Thread poster: Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:45
Italian to English
+ ...
May 5, 2008

Proz is currently advertising an online data back-up facility called Memopal: http://www.memopal.com/en/default.aspx

Has anyone used it? It sounds ideal, and I'm seriously tempted. But... are there any security/privacy issues I should be aware of? Would I be breaching any European privacy laws by putting my translations up on line or is encrypted data considered secure?

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:45
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
LogMeIn Backup May 5, 2008

Hi,

If all you need is a back-up and you don't want to store sensitive information of a server which belongs to someone else you can choose a much cheaper option and use LogMeIn Backup, which send all the data you want to a computer of your choice (it makes sense if you have more than one computer of course).

Have a look:
... See more
Hi,

If all you need is a back-up and you don't want to store sensitive information of a server which belongs to someone else you can choose a much cheaper option and use LogMeIn Backup, which send all the data you want to a computer of your choice (it makes sense if you have more than one computer of course).

Have a look:

https://secure.logmein.com/products/backup/

BR
S
Collapse

Silvia Currò
Silvia Currò  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
MemoPal - I have used it for some time now May 6, 2008

Hello guys,
I have used Memopal for some time now, and I am extremely satisfied with it. I know it sounds too good to be true, however it's just as simple as that. The difference between Memopal and other back-up solutions on the market is first of all the available space they offer. Memopal base solution offers 250 Gbytes, and if you are a professional you need space together with a solution which runs automatically, without having to worry about backing your files up every day. Also, if
... See more
Hello guys,
I have used Memopal for some time now, and I am extremely satisfied with it. I know it sounds too good to be true, however it's just as simple as that. The difference between Memopal and other back-up solutions on the market is first of all the available space they offer. Memopal base solution offers 250 Gbytes, and if you are a professional you need space together with a solution which runs automatically, without having to worry about backing your files up every day. Also, if I want to send a heavy file, Memopal surpasses both e-mail and ftp systems available. If I have my file on the remote server already, all I need to do is click and generate a link which will be sent to any recipient I choose.
Privacy is a big issue which gets easily resolved. Data are protected in different ways: informations is encrypted, which is all data from my client to the Memopal server. Then data gets encrypted on Memopal server once again. Secondly, I am completely anonimous user! You do not need to give them your name when you subscribe. You can buy any number of workstations and give no name for any corresponding license you buy. Last but not least, data get frammented before being memorized and they are retrieved and put back together only when needed. So, even in the remote case when a malignant user tries to access your data, he/she will only find a partial, encrypted and totaly useless information.
Anyway, why don't you just try it??
You can download a free trial for 30 days and then decide by yourselves!
Have a nice day
Silvia

[Edited at 2008-05-06 15:40]
Collapse

Alessandro Cattelan (X)
Alessandro Cattelan (X)
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
very satisfied with it May 6, 2008

Marie-Hélène Hayles wrote:

Proz is currently advertising an online data back-up facility called Memopal: http://www.memopal.com/en/default.aspx

Has anyone used it? It sounds ideal, and I'm seriously tempted. But... are there any security/privacy issues I should be aware of? Would I be breaching any European privacy laws by putting my translations up on line or is encrypted data considered secure?

Hello,
I've been using this service for almost a month now and I must say I'm very satisfied with it.

A couple of weeks ago I was so unlucky to test how much this service is really worth... One of my computer crashed because of an electrical shock caused by a thunderstorm. It just doesn't start anymore - I guess the mother board was seriously affected by the shock. I believe that the disk is still safe and I may try to reuse it one day but I'm happy enough I didn't have to try to recover my data from it. They were all safe on the online server. Maybe this is some extreme situation: I mean, it doesn't happen all the time that your PC fails like this... But it does happen sometimes!

Anyway, from what I've seen this Memopal thing works quite well. It's quite simple to install and once it's installed you just forget about it as it is smart enough to constantly backup all your data without you even noticing that.

This may not be a nice thing for some people... But the good thing is that you can choose what to backup and what not. If you don't want some of your documents to be uploaded to the server, you have the option to choose so. This is good because you can save some space by not uploading some useless files from your C drive.

Going back to your topic, I wouldn't mind so much about how safe my data are... I guess they are just as safe as my money in my online bank account or Paypal. As far as I know, memopal uses the same encyption technology used by some online banks and only the owner of a given account has access to the files stored on his/her space on memopal servers.

I'm not an expert in European privacy laws, but I doubt that encrypted data are considered unsafe. All banks and any other online services would otherwise be breaking the law...

I've just had a look at their website and discovered that they guarantee they respect European privacy laws:
http://memopal.com/en/supportfaq/how-is-my-privacy-ensured.htm

Ale.

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks chaps... May 8, 2008

For some reason I've only just been notified of your replies!

I think I might give it a go, anyway.

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:45
Spanish to English
+ ...
mixed, veering toward unimpressed and disappointed Jun 27, 2008

My experience with my trial of Memopal is mixed. I started the trial yesterday on my Windows Vista laptop. I followed all the standard/default settings and fiddled with *absolutely nothing* apart from selecting which files I wanted to be backed up.

I like the way it uploads all my files and seems to just get on with it without any problems. I have been selective about what I allowed to update until I have had a chance to suss out how well it works. So far, in principle, the first s
... See more
My experience with my trial of Memopal is mixed. I started the trial yesterday on my Windows Vista laptop. I followed all the standard/default settings and fiddled with *absolutely nothing* apart from selecting which files I wanted to be backed up.

I like the way it uploads all my files and seems to just get on with it without any problems. I have been selective about what I allowed to update until I have had a chance to suss out how well it works. So far, in principle, the first side of the equation - backing up - works well, despite rather too much "Suspending" and "Backup Suspended" messages for my liking

However, the second side of the equation - recovery/restore - does not look at all promising. In fact, now when I click on the Memopal icon, sometimes the software simply hangs and I have to close it down using Ctrl+Alt+Del. It is currently repeatedly showing me a message "Error Opening Memopal Virtual Drive. Make sure you can connect to the internet". I AM connected to the internet! And that is not a good sign!

The options for getting my files back are:

1) Search - which allows you to search for 1 - 20 files which is fine if you know the name of your file and you don't need to restore a whole folder or more than 20 files. But otherwise, not much use.
2) Browse and restore - which in theory should be ideal, as it is a Windows Explorer-style but whenever I click on "Browse my Memopal files" the system freezes and I have to close it down. Yesterday, under the Browse feature I could see a Windows Explorer style screen with what I assume were my files backed up and when I tried to browse to a folder, the system would hang for minutes. Not impressive.

Thus far, I seem to have uploaded stuff but can't get it back. ie pretty pointless.
All in all, I see little reason to use it since it only fills one half of the need - uploading/backup and not the downloading/recovery. Maybe I am missing something but it is not a complicated interface or set of menus so I don't believe I am missing anything major here. I just think it's yet another case of poorly-tested software being launched too early.

Maybe others have had similar experiences an resolved them. Memopal fans and experts, feel free to contact me direct because I like this system in theory; it's just the reality that disappoints...
Collapse

scott_p15
scott_p15
English to Italian
Memopal...very good! Oct 14, 2008

Hello!!!

I tried Memopal trial version in september. Then I confirmed for 1year. I saved all my files with remote backup online and I can take them anytime and everywhere.

No problem for privacy. It's safe like my files.

I recommend Memopal and I'm satisfied with the service.

Pau_Sc

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Memopal - anyone used it?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »