Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 12:30
English to Greek
+ ...
Sep 4, 2008

Hello,

With all the new browsers coming out on daily basis lately, I'd like to ask Mozilla Firefox users what their favourite version is. Have you shifted to FF3 yet? What is your opinion about it? I had installed it on the first day it became available, but I thought that at the time it was too soon and it lacked funtionality compared to experienced FF2, so I returned to it (I couldn't tell exactly what was wrong, I just felt I could work better with the previous version). Is FF3
... See more
Hello,

With all the new browsers coming out on daily basis lately, I'd like to ask Mozilla Firefox users what their favourite version is. Have you shifted to FF3 yet? What is your opinion about it? I had installed it on the first day it became available, but I thought that at the time it was too soon and it lacked funtionality compared to experienced FF2, so I returned to it (I couldn't tell exactly what was wrong, I just felt I could work better with the previous version). Is FF3 faster that 2? What are its new features that would make someone consider upgrading?

Thanks!
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:30
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I haven't, because... Sep 4, 2008

Eleni Makantani wrote:
Have you shifted to FF3 yet?

I haven't, because most of my add-ons don't work in FF3 yet. I'll consider moving up when the add-ons have caught on or when other add-ons become available with similar functionality. Besides, I get the impression that most improvements are under the hood, so there aren't that many new features.

Marius Feilberg Jacobsen
Marius Feilberg Jacobsen  Identity Verified
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
FF3 is my favorite so far Sep 4, 2008

I'm using FF3. And I have to say, I'm very satisfied with it. Compared to FF2 it's faster and picks up on your user-behavior a lot quicker than FF2 does. So far, I haven't experienced any functionality-related issues with it.

What I really like is that it will suggest the sites I visit most when I start typing a url in the address bar. So let's say I visit www.example.com/page2, it will ignore
... See more
I'm using FF3. And I have to say, I'm very satisfied with it. Compared to FF2 it's faster and picks up on your user-behavior a lot quicker than FF2 does. So far, I haven't experienced any functionality-related issues with it.

What I really like is that it will suggest the sites I visit most when I start typing a url in the address bar. So let's say I visit www.example.com/page2, it will ignore any alphabetical order and immediately suggest that site. I can see how this may have its pros and cons, but I like it.

I tested the Beta version of Google Chrome today and contrary to its many positive reviews, I didn't like it at all. Nice interface, but it seemed so incomplete in terms of functionality. Firefox is still my favorite
Collapse

Maria Diaconu
Maria Diaconu  Identity Verified
Romania
English to Romanian
Downgrading to FF2... Sep 4, 2008

After using FF3 for a day, I felt the need to return to the previous FF2. I didn't feel comfortable with it, although I am usually eager to try new versions and stick to them... this FF3 didn't stick to me, so I'm trying Google Chrome now and it looks good so far.

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:30
English to Polish
I haven't... Sep 4, 2008

... for the same reason as Samuel.

I have taken a look at FF3, and noticed some differences, but since I am satisfied with FF2, I can patiently wait, until my add-ons are available on FF3.

Anni

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
...back to FF2... Sep 4, 2008

Maria Diaconu wrote:

I'm trying Google Chrome now and it looks good so far.

I'm trying Google Chrome, too, and I really like it. I like its neat and organised looks and I think it is really faster than FF2. However, today I tried to listen to my favourite radio stations on it and it needed me to add extra applications. After having spent some 20 minutes adding and adding what it was asking me to, I gave up and returned to FF2... I think, though, that after a while, Chrome will become a great browser.

Anyway, I've proposed a poll, regarding Prozians preferences regarding browsers and I hope that quite soon we'll be discussing pros and cons of several of them.

[Edited at 2008-09-04 08:37]

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
I find FF3 OK Sep 4, 2008

I now have all the add-ons I had before, namely:
Adblock Plus,
FireFTP,
Flashblock,
Foxmarks,
McAfee Site Advisor.
So I'm satisfied as far as add-ons are concerned.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I doubt that Sep 4, 2008

Chrome will become a great browser.

Google does not aim at making a good browser — it aims at a browser that is good for Google Apps. So, Google opensourced Chrome and its components (including V8), IMHO, just to have developers of other browsers include them in their products. So, just wait for FF 3.1 or 3.2, and you'll have all that Chrome inside

As for the topic, I use FF 3 only. It's heavier than FF 2, but you can notice that only on an archaic Pentium II or so, and at the same time FF 3 renders web pages faster. All my favorite add-ons are there including KudoZ bar (I've turned off compatibility/security check). And FF3 is simply cool!

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Oops Sep 4, 2008

Anyway, I've proposed a poll, regarding Prozians preferences regarding browsers and I hope that quite soon we'll be discussing pros and cons of several of them.

Expect a holywar

660222 (X)
660222 (X)
France
English to French
+ ...
Mozilla FF3 (for Windows XP) is OK for me too Sep 4, 2008

I have all my favorite add-ons:
-WiredMarker
-Foxclocks
-Clipmarks
-FireShot
-Foxmarks bookmarks syncronizer
-Morning Coffee
-Rikaichan (Japanese dictionary)

I used to navigate with FF2 on MacOS and it was incredibly slow but I switched to Windows and FF3 at the same time, so my opinion may be biaised.
There is just one problem: I have to use Opera because Firefox won't play Youtube videos sometimes.

I prefer not to try Go
... See more
I have all my favorite add-ons:
-WiredMarker
-Foxclocks
-Clipmarks
-FireShot
-Foxmarks bookmarks syncronizer
-Morning Coffee
-Rikaichan (Japanese dictionary)

I used to navigate with FF2 on MacOS and it was incredibly slow but I switched to Windows and FF3 at the same time, so my opinion may be biaised.
There is just one problem: I have to use Opera because Firefox won't play Youtube videos sometimes.

I prefer not to try Google Chrome, I don't know, I am not comfortable with Google on my desktop.
Collapse

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes! Sep 4, 2008

esperantisto wrote:

Expect a holywar

sure!!!!

Chiara Righele
Chiara Righele  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Same here Sep 4, 2008

M. Anna Kańduła wrote:

... for the same reason as Samuel.

I have taken a look at FF3, and noticed some differences, but since I am satisfied with FF2, I can patiently wait, until my add-ons are available on FF3.

Anni

I'm quite satisfied with FF2, so I don't see the point of upgrading it before my add-ons are availble on FF3

Chiara

Spiros Doikas
Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
FF3 is faster Sep 4, 2008

and I just tried Chrome (google's browser) which is even faster!

JPW (X)
JPW (X)  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
FF3 for me Sep 4, 2008

I have been using FF in general for as long as I remember as I just couldn't stand IE at all (rubbish software from MS as usual).

Now I use FF3 which is definitely faster than version 2 but you'll maybe not even be aware of it. The only thing that annoyed me was the Yahoo toolbar wasn't compatible for a wheen of days after FF3 went public (I think they got into the record books for that - most downloads in a day) so accessing my mailbox was a bit convoluted.

Now I have
... See more
I have been using FF in general for as long as I remember as I just couldn't stand IE at all (rubbish software from MS as usual).

Now I use FF3 which is definitely faster than version 2 but you'll maybe not even be aware of it. The only thing that annoyed me was the Yahoo toolbar wasn't compatible for a wheen of days after FF3 went public (I think they got into the record books for that - most downloads in a day) so accessing my mailbox was a bit convoluted.

Now I have all my favourite add-ons (plus a few more perhaps to check out) and a nice walnut theme to match the colour of my workdesk.

As for google chrome, I'd not heard of it before but I will check it out for curiosity - although it's still at beta stage, isn't it?

I would tend to agree with esperantisto - after a while you'll see all the best bits of chrome being developed for other browsers too. Things like phishing attacks and malware worry me a bit so I like to think FF3 is pretty secure.
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Switched to Chrome today Sep 4, 2008

I noticed when refreshing proz.com main page Chrome every time wants me to confirm this. So I better press Homepage.
Otherwise Chrome is much faster than Firefox.
Cheers
Heinrich

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mozilla FF2 or FF3?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »