https://www.proz.com/forum/internet_for_translators/116984-can_no_longer_load_webpages_tho_email_and_other_laptop_on_same_network_are_fine_%3Ao_.html

Can no longer load webpages, tho email and other laptop on same network are fine :o/
Thread poster: William Pairman
William Pairman
William Pairman  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:03
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Oct 2, 2008

I have a PC (running Vista Business) and a laptop (running XP) hooked up through a router

Using the PC (only a couple of months old) this AM it suddenly stopped loading web pages on Firefox. On IE it will load the home page and links from it but not any other URLs. Thunderbird works fine, I can send and receive mail. The icon bottom right says connected, clicking through "Diagnose and repair" finds no probs. Nor does any spyware (S&D, AdAware, Defender) or the antivirus (Kazpersky 2
... See more
I have a PC (running Vista Business) and a laptop (running XP) hooked up through a router

Using the PC (only a couple of months old) this AM it suddenly stopped loading web pages on Firefox. On IE it will load the home page and links from it but not any other URLs. Thunderbird works fine, I can send and receive mail. The icon bottom right says connected, clicking through "Diagnose and repair" finds no probs. Nor does any spyware (S&D, AdAware, Defender) or the antivirus (Kazpersky 2009). Cleared cache, cookies, temporary internet files etc. Rebooted a couple of times. Still nothing

The laptop is working fine, on Firefox and IE, hence me being able to post this
Collapse

JPW (X)
JPW (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:03
Spanish to English
+ ...
About Firefox... Oct 2, 2008

Hi William, this might be a long shot, given that you say IE will only load certain pages as well, but...

this happened to my dad's computer just yesterday: he couldn't open Firefox at all. Panic panic, he thought his computer was infected (not true). I had recently upgraded him to FF version 3, the latest version they issued, and I think it might be a programming bug there.

It turned out that when I opened the task manager, Firefox was still ru
... See more
Hi William, this might be a long shot, given that you say IE will only load certain pages as well, but...

this happened to my dad's computer just yesterday: he couldn't open Firefox at all. Panic panic, he thought his computer was infected (not true). I had recently upgraded him to FF version 3, the latest version they issued, and I think it might be a programming bug there.

It turned out that when I opened the task manager, Firefox was still running in the background, although it was not coming up on the screen at all. Double-clicking the Firefox logo produced no result whatsoever. So I simply ended the process, then restarted it, problem solved.

This also happened to me a few weeks back, so I suspect it is a FF3 bug of some sort. Open up your task manager, look first in the applications tab, then the processes tab. If it shows Firefox as running, just 'end process' and restart Firefox again. That may be all it needs.

AS for IE, I have no idea. Perhaps it is suffering from the same unexplained coincidence?
Collapse

Fabio Descalzi
Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 03:03
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Moved this thread... Oct 2, 2008

... to Internet for Translators forum

William Pairman
William Pairman  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:03
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Bizarrely it righted itself... Oct 2, 2008

...of its own accord a couple of hours later. Thanks for your post John Paul, very interesting - I've avoiding updating to Firefox 3 coz a number of issues (and I prefer the graphics on 2) but your point is well worth bearing in mind ( I hadnt thought to check Task manager for example, stupidly), so thanks very much.

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 01:03
Spanish
+ ...
Firefox in Safe Mode Oct 2, 2008

You can start on by ruling out all the potential problems. Have you tried running Firefox in Safe Mode? It will disable all add-ons and plug-ing that might be blocking your internet access.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can no longer load webpages, tho email and other laptop on same network are fine :o/

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »