Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 11:39
English to Greek
+ ...
Oct 4, 2008

Hello,

I just checked my spam folder and I found a mail, the subject of which is "From proz.com". I must point out that whenever we get mail through the proz system, the subject line reads [proz.com - mail]. Of course, I didn't open it, but the one-line preview which is activated in my mail went like the following:

"Dearest, I know that this mail will not come to you as a surprise, as we have not had a previous..."
(exactly that, no mistake in typing).

... See more
Hello,

I just checked my spam folder and I found a mail, the subject of which is "From proz.com". I must point out that whenever we get mail through the proz system, the subject line reads [proz.com - mail]. Of course, I didn't open it, but the one-line preview which is activated in my mail went like the following:

"Dearest, I know that this mail will not come to you as a surprise, as we have not had a previous..."
(exactly that, no mistake in typing).

I just wanted to let colleagues know about it and I'm happy that my spam filter works well.

Regards,
Eleni
Collapse

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 10:39
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
not just "possible spam" - spam like I-don't-know-what ;) Oct 4, 2008

Hi Eleni,
Got the same thing and I've read it - it's just a classic "Nigerian" spam - poor widow/orphan wants your bank account number to transfer her millions of millions..

Interesting that it came with this title "from proz.com" but to my email address which is not my profile address.

Anyway - it is now where it belongs: trash!

Best,
Magda

Tatiana Lammers
Tatiana Lammers  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
I guess Oct 4, 2008

that you missed that the discussion about these e-mails is already going on just a coulpe of postings below yours...

http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_directory/117130-from_prozcom_frauding_email.html

seems like the spammer sent to to several people from ProZ.

[Edited at 2008-10-04 19:33]

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 11:39
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You guessed right... Oct 4, 2008

... even if I always check the forum list for interesting topics, I missed that one!

Yes, it seems like many of us have been targeted!

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:39
German to English
+ ...
Nigerian? Oct 4, 2008

Magda, last time there was a discussion of such scams, the moderators went nuclear at the mention of a specific national group. I didn't really see what the problem was since I had heard a similar complaint once from a Nigerian acquaintance, but I think we're all supposed to use the code expression "419" to stay PC

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possible spam - "From proz.com"

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »