Translation to English of official/commercial sites
Thread poster: Stephen Rifkind

Stephen Rifkind  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:24
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Jan 28, 2009

When searching for official names of organizations and correct names of obscure mechanical and electronic parts, I have noticed that the official and commercial sites in some languages are generally translated into English, making my job much easier, while other languages ignore the non-native language speakers.

For example, almost all serious Hebrew sites are translated into Hebrew because, I imagine, few people outside Israel read the language. By contrast, French, not Canadian, sites, even official ones, generally do not have English versions. For example, none of the many official sites of the "Ordre des Experts Comptables" show any English name or translation while the Hebrew equilalent shows the official English name.

What is the situation in other languages?

Direct link Reply with quote
Spencer Allman
Local time: 06:24
Finnish to English
+ ...
Finnish Jan 28, 2009

There is plenty of help with Finnish, as no one in the outside world would know anything about the country otherwise - and that is the whole point with 'small' languages.

The standard of English is often poor, though

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation to English of official/commercial sites

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs