Looking for an e-Mail provider that automatically saves attachments in a separate file
Thread poster: Poisson rouge
Poisson rouge
Poisson rouge
Germany
Local time: 21:07
German to French
+ ...
Feb 28, 2009

Hello everybody,
I don't know if I am perhaps looking for something that doesn't exist but I seem to remember it does exist somewhere on the internet: an e-Mail provider that automatically saves attachments in a separate file. This would save me a lot of time, as I wouldn't have to go back to e-mails to have a look at an attachment. Is there a solution or shall I simply try to change my habits (i.e. saving files on my computer straight away)?
Thanks very much for any advice!

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Use SMTP protocoll Feb 28, 2009

instead of POP.
This way the attachments may be left on the server.
Otherwise you should indeed change your habits and save the incoming files in separate folders.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:07
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Jerzy, do you mean IMAP? Feb 28, 2009

My main e-mail server is IMAP, instead of POP.

All my messages are kept at the (external) server, http://www.mandic.com.br (Brazilian).

I don't have any messages on my computer, so I can access all them from any computer. Okay, when my connection to the Internet is down, I don't have access to my messages.

This particular service has no limit, so if anyone wants to send me
... See more
My main e-mail server is IMAP, instead of POP.

All my messages are kept at the (external) server, http://www.mandic.com.br (Brazilian).

I don't have any messages on my computer, so I can access all them from any computer. Okay, when my connection to the Internet is down, I don't have access to my messages.

This particular service has no limit, so if anyone wants to send me terabytes, it's their (Mandic's) problem! Nothing is (nor should be) saved automatically. I can download attachments from any message to my computer. Yet, if I delete this downloaded file, but failed to delete the e-mail message that contained it, I can download the file again.

Is this kind of assurance you want? If yes, find an IMAP no-limit e-mail service in your area (though nowadays it could be anywhere)
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
IMAP Feb 28, 2009

indeed - exactly.
Thanks for correction

BR
Jerzy

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:07
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Thunderbird Feb 28, 2009

Thunderbird offers an option "Save all attachments to this folder". Would that solve your problem?

[Edited at 2009-02-28 22:07 GMT]

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:07
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thuderbird yes, but also Firefox Feb 28, 2009

Even if you don't use Thunderbird, if you use Firefox to access your mail, it will offer you the option of saving your attachments to a separate "download" folder.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
POP too Feb 28, 2009

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

instead of POP.
This way the attachments may be left on the server.
Otherwise you should indeed change your habits and save the incoming files in separate folders.

You just have to configure the client (Thunderbird, Outlook etc.) to leave messages on the server. By default they all delete messages from the server after download... a horrible default setting imo.

Anyway, I have no idea why anyone would want all the eleven gazillion files ever emailed to them to be saved in the same folder. After a while, you'll really be struggling to find anything. Just set up a convenient folder structure and save files where they belong as you receive them. If you can't find something and you know it came via email you can always go back and find the original email.

Poisson rouge
Poisson rouge
Germany
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes it would! Feb 28, 2009

Jack Doughty wrote:

Thunderbird offers an option "Save all attachments to this folder". Would that solve your problem?

[Edited at 2009-02-28 22:07 GMT]

Oh so it does exist then, brilliant! That would definely solve my problem!
Thanks very much
Fiona

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for an e-Mail provider that automatically saves attachments in a separate file

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »