Thread poster: Reino Havbrandt (X)
Reino Havbrandt (X)
Reino Havbrandt (X)
Sweden
Local time: 03:19
Finnish to Swedish
+ ...
Oct 10, 2003

I have bought a domain name, and I thought that it would be a great idea to move my pages to this site. I am beginning to have second thoughts about this, as there are severe speed problems;
The online editor for pages is very slow, and lacks some basic functionality you would expect;
It is veru often impossible or very time consuming just to enter the file manager. The functions are often very slow.
I also noticed, that also the use of the site is slower, if you use pictures.
... See more
I have bought a domain name, and I thought that it would be a great idea to move my pages to this site. I am beginning to have second thoughts about this, as there are severe speed problems;
The online editor for pages is very slow, and lacks some basic functionality you would expect;
It is veru often impossible or very time consuming just to enter the file manager. The functions are often very slow.
I also noticed, that also the use of the site is slower, if you use pictures. This must be vcuased of a too small server (or too many new customers). I just would like to know, if you are avare of the speed problems, and if there are plans of solving them?
I think that this is an issue ,that should be discussed openly, st it actually is not a "service problem".
Collapse

ALAIN COTE (X)
ALAIN COTE (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:19
Japanese to French
Try with an FTP client Oct 10, 2003

Reino Havbrandt wrote:
I just would like to know, if you are avare of the speed problems, and if there are plans of solving them?
I think that this is an issue ,that should be discussed openly, st it actually is not a "service problem".

You should try to upload your files with an FTP client software. I had the same problem, so I tried to upload my files with SmartFTP (freeware) and the speed increased dramatically.

HTH
Alain

Reino Havbrandt (X)
Reino Havbrandt (X)
Sweden
Finnish to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What address? Oct 10, 2003

Thanks Alain!
This is very interesting! I have used DragDrop FTP for my old site, but did not know that it was possible with ProZ. I have now tired the FTP, butnow the peoblem is to find what address to use to the PRoZ server? It seems not to be the same as the site address. Where is this info available? (Especially when the Web host site is not accessible).
Reino

Reino

Reino Havbrandt (X)
Reino Havbrandt (X)
Sweden
Finnish to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
yoursite.proz.com Oct 10, 2003

was the address, and it works like a charm! Thanks again, Alan, for this very valuable tip!
Searching the site, I have noticed that there is a need for a forum/thread for ProZ site developers. I have also found some other workarounds using the web site, that might be useful to share.
Now, the remaining problem is the speed on the user side, which is unacceptable slow. And, I dont have anything complicated, just a few pictures on my site, but there is a noticable delay in refreshing
... See more
was the address, and it works like a charm! Thanks again, Alan, for this very valuable tip!
Searching the site, I have noticed that there is a need for a forum/thread for ProZ site developers. I have also found some other workarounds using the web site, that might be useful to share.
Now, the remaining problem is the speed on the user side, which is unacceptable slow. And, I dont have anything complicated, just a few pictures on my site, but there is a noticable delay in refreshing the pictures.
Reino
Collapse

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:19
Spanish to English
+ ...
Excellent search results Oct 10, 2003

You will soon find that one great thing about having a ProZ-hosted sites is your rating and visibility in searches. After a certain period of time (about 1 or 2 weeks, if I remember correctly) searchers using the major search engines will find you on the first page of returned hits. You don't have to bother with techniques or tricks for getting high ratings.

Oleg Prots
Oleg Prots  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 04:19
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Are you sure? Oct 10, 2003

GoodWords wrote:

You will soon find that one great thing about having a ProZ-hosted sites is your rating and visibility in searches. After a certain period of time (about 1 or 2 weeks, if I remember correctly) searchers using the major search engines will find you on the first page of returned hits. You don't have to bother with techniques or tricks for getting high ratings.

Are you sure this is true for sites with proprietary domain names (i.e., those that are ONLY hosted by ProZ.com)?
I am planning to launch my own website and I considered using ProZ.com hosting anyway, but your comment is really too attractive to be omitted. Can you give some comments on the technical side? How does it work?

TIA,
Oleg

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Wrong forum... Oct 11, 2003

...I'm moving the post to "General Tech Support".

Best, Ralf

Senem Mintaş (X)
Senem Mintaş (X)
Local time: 04:19
English to Turkish
+ ...
A little reminder about "Hosting" Oct 13, 2003

I think the problem is very much related with what is called as "bandwidth" that a hosting company suggests to its "customers". Many would misleading when they consider the bigger the web site's storage size is the best they can provide to visitors of that particular site. Nevertheless what actuall matters here is the bandwidth (Lets make it more clear; you experience a "speed problem" because when more than one or two visitors visit your site and execute any function on the server site the band... See more
I think the problem is very much related with what is called as "bandwidth" that a hosting company suggests to its "customers". Many would misleading when they consider the bigger the web site's storage size is the best they can provide to visitors of that particular site. Nevertheless what actuall matters here is the bandwidth (Lets make it more clear; you experience a "speed problem" because when more than one or two visitors visit your site and execute any function on the server site the bandwidth of that particular server fails to implement the functions demanded at the client side (visitors here)). So, since this is nothing you can fix (it should be of Proz.com admins' responsibility) you may consider to "shrink" size of your images (jpeg or gifs) by, for example, Photoshop (this application has a command like "save for Web") I think this would be of little help until a more concrete solutions is found by concerned people. Good luck!Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hosting

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »