blackle.com: Google search engine, only with a different (energy saving) interface
Thread poster: Nicolas Coyer (X)
Nicolas Coyer (X)
Nicolas Coyer (X)  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 21:44
Spanish to French
+ ...
Dec 10, 2009

Hi everyone,

In these times of energy saving and global warning, I thought I would share a link I found in an article a few months ago. It is supposed to help save Watts on each search because of the black background used (instead of the usual white). They even show how many watts you helped save. Have a look by yourself. It is the same ole Google search engine, only with a different
... See more
Hi everyone,

In these times of energy saving and global warning, I thought I would share a link I found in an article a few months ago. It is supposed to help save Watts on each search because of the black background used (instead of the usual white). They even show how many watts you helped save. Have a look by yourself. It is the same ole Google search engine, only with a different interface.
www.blackle.com

They are even some local versions for some European languages.

Enjoy!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-12-10 03:15 GMT]

[Modifié le 2009-12-10 04:25 GMT]
Collapse

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:44
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Hoax Dec 10, 2009

Dear Nicolas,

this has been around for some years and basically is a hoax. Although there is an extremely(!) small amount of power saving on old fashioned CRT monitors (which are hardly ever used nowadays), the power consumption of TFT monitors (which probably 99% of all computer monitors are today) does not depend on what is being displayed.

If you actually still do u
... See more
Dear Nicolas,

this has been around for some years and basically is a hoax. Although there is an extremely(!) small amount of power saving on old fashioned CRT monitors (which are hardly ever used nowadays), the power consumption of TFT monitors (which probably 99% of all computer monitors are today) does not depend on what is being displayed.

If you actually still do use a CRT monitor, trying to save power using blackle is a bit like turning the volume of your radio down a little during the gap between two songs
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Not a hoax, but not true either Dec 10, 2009

Nicolas Coyer wrote:
They even show how many watts you helped save. Have a look by yourself.

It's not a hoax (well, it's not intended to deceive), but it is based on some incorrect assumptions. Google responds here:

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2007/08/is-black-new-green.html

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
maybe not a hoax... Dec 10, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:

it's not intended to deceive

Maybe that's true, but who knows

Either way: it doesn't work.

[Bearbeitet am 2009-12-10 10:41 GMT]

Andrzej Mierzejewski
Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
Ampermeter Dec 10, 2009

with 0.001 A resolution connected between the receptacle and your monitor - that's the only device necessary to solve this mystery.

AM

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 05:44
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
good old joke Dec 10, 2009

Nicolas Coyer (X)
Nicolas Coyer (X)  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 21:44
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ok Dec 11, 2009

Yes, your comment makes sense. I hadn't thought of it that way.

efreitag wrote:

Dear Nicolas,

If you actually still do use a CRT monitor, trying to save power using blackle is a bit like turning the volume of your radio down a little during the gap between two songs

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

blackle.com: Google search engine, only with a different (energy saving) interface

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »