Thread poster: Jesús Calzado
Jesús Calzado
Jesús Calzado  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 17, 2003

Hi colleagues,

Let's see if any of you can help me. I've been using Netscape as e-mail application for years. One month ago I updated it to Netscape 7.0 and has been working fine, but today, after restarting my computer, my profile and email accounts were empty and all my folders and stored e-mail messages have disapppeared? The application asked me for a new email account, so I had to reconfigure it to be able to receive new mail. No problem with that.
The question is, how ca
... See more
Hi colleagues,

Let's see if any of you can help me. I've been using Netscape as e-mail application for years. One month ago I updated it to Netscape 7.0 and has been working fine, but today, after restarting my computer, my profile and email accounts were empty and all my folders and stored e-mail messages have disapppeared? The application asked me for a new email account, so I had to reconfigure it to be able to receive new mail. No problem with that.
The question is, how can I recover my disappeared messages, which I must still have on my hard drive? I managed to import my address book, and also messages from previous Netscape 4 which I still keep on my HDD. But what I need is the data I had on Netscape 7.0.

I would appreciate if someone could help me or tell me at least somewhere to look for help. Thank you all.
Collapse

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:23
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Notscope Dec 17, 2003

Having been a Netscape devotee for very many years, I eventually pulled out at NS 7. The problem was essentially that I could no longer determine my preferred font and font size in their mail package. I found it difficult to read my mail!(this is also a "known issue" on NS discussion groups) I would have been grudgingly happy to switch to Outlook, but it wouldn't import my addresses In the end, I went for Eudora. It's freely conf... See more
Having been a Netscape devotee for very many years, I eventually pulled out at NS 7. The problem was essentially that I could no longer determine my preferred font and font size in their mail package. I found it difficult to read my mail!(this is also a "known issue" on NS discussion groups) I would have been grudgingly happy to switch to Outlook, but it wouldn't import my addresses In the end, I went for Eudora. It's freely configurable in all sorts of ways, and it imported both my mail and my address book. I also use Opera as a browser. Give them a try and good luck to youCollapse

Tobi
Tobi
English to German
+ ...
Look there ... Dec 17, 2003

Hi JCD,
Under W2K, Netscape stores the data under C:/Documents and Settings/"your account name"/Application Data/Mozilla/Profiles/"your profile"
Usually data is not lost when updating the Netscape installation. Maybe you try to update the installation again. If you dont have your mails then, try to locate it within your profile by changing the path.
Good luck!
Tobi

A comment to the other posters to this topic: JCD has a serious problem with his mail client an
... See more
Hi JCD,
Under W2K, Netscape stores the data under C:/Documents and Settings/"your account name"/Application Data/Mozilla/Profiles/"your profile"
Usually data is not lost when updating the Netscape installation. Maybe you try to update the installation again. If you dont have your mails then, try to locate it within your profile by changing the path.
Good luck!
Tobi

A comment to the other posters to this topic: JCD has a serious problem with his mail client and needs help solving this problem and not the recommendation for an alternative program. I would also like to praise Opera and Netscape Mail (or Eudora) and show the rest of the world that Outlook and IE are not the only one existing solutions and their imperfections are state of the art, but this does not help JCD here.
No offense meant, just to help JCD!

[Edited at 2003-12-18 06:05]

[Edited at 2003-12-18 06:06]

[Edited at 2003-12-18 06:06]
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 22:23
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Eudora (at the moment 6.01- and f$%& the spam) Dec 17, 2003

and Opera (the later only for last few years, before that Netscape, but Eudora from version 2.something) are my choices. I have (by the way) tried out many more, but I have found no match. It would take up many electrons and much of your time for detailed description of reasons, and, of course, they may differ in accordance with needs of each individual user, but, IMHO, for a small office, they are a very good solution.Sincerely- Uldis

Mirella Soffio
Mirella Soffio  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Netscape still open Dec 18, 2003

Hi JCD

the same thing happened to me a couple of times; in my case, the problem was that the program was still open somewhere in the background (though not visible onscreen) despite the reboot. Try opening the Task Manager and see if Netscape is running; if it is, terminate it, re-launch the program and you should find your account restored.

HTH

Mirella

Jesús Calzado
Jesús Calzado  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you everybody Dec 20, 2003

Mirella Soffio wrote:

Hi JCD
Try opening the Task Manager and see if Netscape is running; if it is, terminate it, re-launch the program and you should find your account restored.

Mirella

Thank you Mirella. That was the solution. The problem I reconfigured my accounts before your hint.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with Netscape 7.0

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »