Mobile menu

Browser speed boosting
Thread poster: Textklick

Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:01
German to English
+ ...
Feb 22, 2004

I run Opera and find that e.g. when I answer a Kudoz question, it doesn't show for a while, despite that fact that I may well have wandered to another site/refreshed in the interim.

In other words, my text doesn't klick like it should

If I go to the appropriate page in IE though, the question seems to be there right away. Same obviously applies with other activities on the Net.

I see that there are several "browser speed tweakers" on the Net. Does anyone have experience with these? (I'm always iffy about messing with yet more programs that may well do more harm than good).

Direct link Reply with quote

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
You are not the only one.. Feb 22, 2004

When you see a posting with exactly the same text repeated several times, it is a sure bet that the visitor used Opera...

Your problem has nothing to do with speed: Opera takes the page from your cache, so it seems it is still the same although it may have changed on the webserver.

Although I like Opera, I avoid using it for ProZ.com.

[Edited at 2004-02-22 17:43]

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
OnSpeed Feb 22, 2004

Tried one called OnSpeed but didn't like it and cancelled my order. I couldn't see that it made any appreciable difference.

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorted! Feb 22, 2004

"Although I like Opera, I avoid using it for ProZ.com...."

Thanks a lot guys.

Funnily enough, I received the mail indicating your responses, clicked on the link and what was there? Just my question...

IE it is then.

Cheers

tectranslate ITS GmbH
Local time: 20:01
German
+ ...
Don't...do...it Feb 22, 2004

Textklick wrote:

"Although I like Opera, I avoid using it for ProZ.com...."

Thanks a lot guys.

Funnily enough, I received the mail indicating your responses, clicked on the link and what was there? Just my question...

IE it is then.

Cheers

IE? No! Never!
I use Opera with ProZ.com and am very very satisfied. ProZ.com works absolutely great with Opera! Just refresh the page using the F5 key or the corresponding button on the toolbar.

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wieder was gelernt Feb 22, 2004

"Just refresh the page using the F5 key or the corresponding button on the toolbar..."

Thanks tectrans thingy

The toolbar didn't work but F5 does!

Gracias
Thomas Joad

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:01
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Opera is just fine... Feb 23, 2004

Textklick wrote:
I run Opera and find that e.g. when I answer a Kudoz question, it doesn't show for a while...

I suspect your problem lies with the web site's interal design and not with the browser. That said, I'm using OP6.06 and I don't have a problem using Proz.

When I reply to a thread, I see my post immediately, but when I revisit the thread later the same day, I have to hit F5 to see my post. There are pros and cons to using cached pages.

One trick when waiting for a page to appear, is to hit Esc and then F5 again. Then Opera will show you what it has downloaded so far. I think Opera 7.5 has the option of displaying the web site's content as it loads (but this can make the page jumpy, especially if the web site uses tables for layout). Remember that if a web page is designed using table layout and there is one loooooooooooong column on the left hand side, the browser first loads that entire column before loading any of the other content which may appear at the top of the page. All browsers do this.

If IE works so well... why don't you just use it? Oops, sorry, stupid question.

Carlos Moreno  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 13:01
English to Spanish
+ ...
I also use Opera... Feb 23, 2004

And had the same problem you describe.

And I say "had": Opera uses the pages stored in its cache. That is the secret of its blazing speed. But, of course, you experience those problems, although only with a few websites.

Unfortunately, it happens with Proz. But you can use two methods. Both of them are forced refreshes: One of them is - (The roundabout arrows in the icon bar), the other, of course, is F5. They force Opera to load the whole page, and not use the data stored in cache.

And I love Opera! It is fast, it is much more configurable than any other browser, has mail, has popup blocker, and the best part, it can open multiple wiindows. In this very moment I have TWENTY OPEN WINDOWS! Try to do that with Internet Explorer!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Browser speed boosting

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs