Mobile menu

Problems with internet connection. A question for UK Residents
Thread poster: Javier Herrera
Javier Herrera
May 5, 2004

Dear all,
I’ve recently installed the internet at home. It’s supposed to be a flat rate, i.e. free internet calls through an 0800 number. Now, my telephone line works properly, I can connect to the internet through an 0845 number, which needs to be paid for, but whenever I try to use the free one, apparently “the line is engaged”. I have rung both companies –telephone line and internet provider- and they accuse each other, so we’ve come to a standstill. Has anybody had such a problem before? May that be due to my computer settings?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-05-17 17:25]

Direct link Reply with quote

Gilda Manara  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:43
German to Italian
+ ...
this Forum might help you May 6, 2004

these problems seem not to be unusual; I cannot help you personally, but I have always found good and useful advice in this Forum:

hope it helps you too...

best luck

Mark Edmundson  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:43
French to English
+ ...
Strange situation! May 6, 2004

Hi there
I would really need to have more information about the situation before I can pass comment fully.
The number prefixes you have given both sound awfully like standard "dial-up 56k" codes. Broadband, even ADSL does not generally have dial up "numbers" per se. Unless you have a second line installed in your home (expensive) then you will always get an engaged tone with dial up. Broadband (cable/T1/T2/DSL/ADSL etc) are the only ones that free up your line. Let me know some more info and I might be able to help more.

Mark Edmundson  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:43
French to English
+ ...
Didnt read post properly sorry! May 6, 2004

Didnt read post properly. Its your 0800 net number that you cannot connect with, from what I can understand.
That I would say, would be at the ISP end of the service, not with the telephone company. Strange situation, as I never had problem connecting on 0800 when on dialup. The only times I ever had problems connecting or geting booted was at peak times. (5:00 in the evening and around that time). I would like to know who your ISP is, and what the contention ratio is if possible for your connection. It could possibly be that your CR is really poor and you cant get due to it being constantly busy.You can get broadband connections (512k) for 20 pounds a month now, so I would imagine that that is not much more than dialup and you are ALWAYS on with that!

Javier Herrera
Thanks May 14, 2004

Thanks for you answers, and I’m very sorry I didn’t answer before.

Gilda, I did check that forum and asked the same question. Unfortunately, I still haven’t got a proper answer. But I think it’s quite an interesting site.

Mark, strange situation indeed! I still haven’t sorted out the problem after weeks! It’s Freeserve Anytime. It’s roughly £15 per month. However, technical support calls are charged 50p per minute. How much do you charge for telephone interpreting? Actually, I do the interpreting for them from my Spanish software.

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:43
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Moving to the Internet for Translators forum May 17, 2004

Dear Javier,

your question is not Off-Topic at all, actually it would feature well in one of the new Forums recently created, in "Internet for translators", where I will move the thread.

The information exchanged here may be very useful to other colleagues browsing this forum.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems with internet connection. A question for UK Residents

Advanced search

Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info » PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs