Mobile menu

I have to change to another e-mail address. Which service is best (bearing in mind I travel a lot)
Thread poster: Sheila Hardie

Sheila Hardie  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:24
Catalan to English
+ ...
Aug 25, 2004

Hi!

I hope I have got the right section of the forum!

For the past 3 years I have been very happily using a free jazzfree.com e-mail address. I travel between Spain and the UK very frequently and, when in Spain I could always send and receive mails using Outlook Express (connecting to the Internet using a jazzfree number). In the UK, I could still receive my e-mails in OE them but not send them - I had to use mail2web.com. In any case, the system worked fine.

Up to now... However, last week ya.com (or jazzfree.com) decided to change things and make it impossible to receive jazzfree mail via POP3 unless you are connected through a jazzfree number. This means I cannot receive my mail through Outlook Express if I am not in Spain. I can only access the mail through their website - which gives a mere 4 MB storage space

I really do prefer to be able to receive mail through OE and am very fed up with this new system.

So, despite the fact that it will be a tremendous hassle, I think I will have to change to another e-mail address. The question is, which service works best - bearing in mind I travel a lot (especially between Spain and the UK) and that I want to use Outlook Express.

If anyone has any ideas I would be very grateful. I am slowly tearing my hair out here...:-((

Many thanks in advance!

Sheila

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-08-25 19:59]

Direct link Reply with quote

Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
ProZ.com hosting Aug 25, 2004

Hi Sheila,

As a Platinum member you can use a ProZ.com hosting which also includes an e-mail address in your own domain. I see in your profile that you have a website in your own domain - if it's hosted by ProZ.com you can have an e-mail addres and use Outlook for it. That's what I do and it works very well.

HTH
Magda

Jeremy Smith  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:24
French to English
+ ...
34sp.com Aug 25, 2004

I use www.34sp.com for my webspace providers. They give me 10 email addresses, which I can configure to receive through MS Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird etc. and also, crucially, access through a web interface, thereby giving me access to my email wherever I go in the world.

I'm sure many other companies have a similar setup.

Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Aug 26, 2004

Hi Magda,

Thanks for the tip. Yes, I do have a website in my own domain (although I have not found time to finish creating the site yet:-). I think it is hosted by Proz.com (I have to renew the domain in September in fact). I haven't been able to figure out how to access my mail though - or how to create an address using my domain name. I'm snowed under with work right now - when I have more time I'll try to work it out. Is it very complicated?

Meanwhile, I have created a Yahoo!, following the advice of another Proz member (thanks, Cindy:-). It seems to be working well for the moment - fingers crossed!

Thanks again for your help:-)!

Sheila

Magda Dziadosz wrote:

Hi Sheila,

As a Platinum member you can use a ProZ.com hosting which also includes an e-mail address in your own domain. I see in your profile that you have a website in your own domain - if it's hosted by ProZ.com you can have an e-mail addres and use Outlook for it. That's what I do and it works very well.

HTH
Magda

Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Jeremy! Aug 26, 2004

Thanks for your advice! I'll certainly look into this one - I'd never heard of www.34sp.com before in fact. It sounds very interesting in any case.

Sheila

Jeremy Smith wrote:

I use www.34sp.com for my webspace providers. They give me 10 email addresses, which I can configure to receive through MS Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird etc. and also, crucially, access through a web interface, thereby giving me access to my email wherever I go in the world.

I'm sure many other companies have a similar setup.

Hacene  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:24
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
Just a piece of info regarding Yahoo and a piece of advice Aug 26, 2004

Hi Sheila

I have just read that you went for a yahoo email address. Aouch. with hotmail, they are the most subject to spam and viruses and the level of privacy is far from being great.

If you want, you should try Lycos.co.uk. You can have an email for free, use it with outlook at your base and consult and use it from all over the world. Also it enable you to agrregate other emails and to have access to them whenever you want. and all this for free.

good luck

Hacène

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I have to change to another e-mail address. Which service is best (bearing in mind I travel a lot)

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs