Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
how to get traffic to a site
Thread poster: xxxBrandis
xxxBrandis
Local time: 13:16
English to German
+ ...
Sep 27, 2004

Hi all Lately I have gone for Proz.com hosting. Now my site is almost finished, What I do not know is how to get public attention and traffic to my site. Here is my info. I appreciate all helping hints and suggestions.
I need feed back from you all.
Hi all!
I have been working on a website for a while, and request you to look up and tell me your impression.
I have developed my site further, could you please take a look at it. I mean the first 2-3 pages are to be filled as you probably know.But the webdesign is full, and tell me, what you think about it. You just might find it useful. I am offering affliateship aswell.
http://www.tle-services.com , yes that is my site.Now I am confronted with the trouble of finding traffic for it. Any hints and useful suggestions are much appreciated.
Rgds,
Brandis


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Doaa El Hefnawy  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:16
English to Arabic
+ ...
Ways to Promote Your Site Sep 27, 2004

First of all, Brandis, let me congratulate you on your new site. Second, you were asking about ways to promote your site. I have some suggestions which I have read in a book entitled "Sams Teach Yourself FrontPage 2003 in 24 Hours" by Rogers Cadenhead. You can submit your site to search engines such as Google, which you can do at http://www.google.com/addurl.html Additionally, you can submit it to directories such as Yahoo, at http://docs.yahoo.com/info/suggest Another very popular web directory is the Open Directory Project which you can find at http://www.dmoz.org Other suggestions would include exchanging links with similar web sites. There is also joining a Web ring. The site that originated this concept is WebRing and you can find it at http://www.webring.com
I hope that some of these suggestions would work for you and Good Luck.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:16
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Get someone link to your site Sep 27, 2004

What you need is a link from a site, which Google already knows, to your site, so Google will find your site automatically the next time it scans the net. Perhaps the link from your Proz-Profile to your site is enough. In the text of your main-page you should mention your services in different languages, so also your German and French etc. customers would be able to find it when using google.

It seems that your site is build with frames. this is a somewhat less than optimal solution, as search-enginges will list the different sub-pages seperately. So many will stumble on content without the possibility to navigate. Better put navigation onto every page.

[Edited at 2004-09-27 09:14]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:16
Member (2005)
German to Spanish
Some hard/positiv critic Sep 27, 2004

Hi Brandis,

Have you try to format it?
Everything move when you open another page.
I little bit CSS could give a more professional look.
The buttons and the 1000 times used logo from Xara are O.K.
If you want to adquire clients offering professional webdesign this is not enough. As a "normal" translator it is more than enough. You see it depends what you want to "sale"
another point. Why so many commercial Links? that is disturbing.

Like you see, I try to play the bad boy
I exagerate just to make you work harder in it!

So, hau rein!




[Edited at 2004-09-27 10:47]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxBrandis
Local time: 13:16
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Toledo Sep 27, 2004

Toledo wrote:

Hi Brandis,

Have you try to format it?
Everything move when you open another page.
I little bit CSS could give a more professional look.
The buttons and the 1000 times used logo from Xara are O.K.
If you want to adquire clients offering professional webdesign this is not enough. As a "normal" translator it is more than enough. You see it depends what you want to "sale"
another point. Why so many commercial Links? that is disturbing.

Like you see, I try to play the bad boy
I exagerate just to make you work harder in it!

So, hau rein!




[Edited at 2004-09-27 10:47]
That xara and the buttons idea was from someone else,so I said I shall take their products into representation.But thank you
Brandis


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Robert Zawadzki  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:16
English to Polish
+ ...
I heard the following advice Sep 27, 2004

Do not submit your site to search engines. Let them find it.

http://insite.lycos.com/tutorial.asp


Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxBrandis
Local time: 13:16
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That was some stuff to read Sep 27, 2004

rzawadzk wrote:

Do not submit your site to search engines. Let them find it.

http://insite.lycos.com/tutorial.asp[/quote]Thank you-Brandis

Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxBrandis
Local time: 13:16
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have used buttons for navigation Sep 27, 2004

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

What you need is a link from a site, which Google already knows, to your site, so Google will find your site automatically the next time it scans the net. Perhaps the link from your Proz-Profile to your site is enough. In the text of your main-page you should mention your services in different languages, so also your German and French etc. customers would be able to find it when using google.

It seems that your site is build with frames. this is a somewhat less than optimal solution, as search-enginges will list the different sub-pages seperately. So many will stumble on content without the possibility to navigate. Better put navigation onto every page.

[Edited at 2004-09-27 09:14]
Hi! Despite the contentless first 3 pages ( I have so much written stuff, it is hard to judge what to put on them)navitgation functions through the buttons on the top and some somes through also URL page / site links. Or did you mean something else.
Regards,
Brandis


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Kevin Fulton
United States
Local time: 07:16
German to English
Two things need work Sep 27, 2004

First, let me congratulate you on putting together a web page.

I looked at your html source and didn't see much in the way of metatags. These are "invisible" tags used by search engines when looking for site content. You need to include metatags for your language combinations and services. The search bots also seek out actual content, but the metatags make it happen faster.

The other thing has to do with layout.

Your services are off to the side of the screen, and in the center, at least using my browser, all I see is

"Please send your detailed inquiries to
info@tle-services.com"

Indeed, that's an important component on any website, but you need to put your message (your services/experience, etc.) in the center of the image.

You might also check your site using several different browsers (IE, Mozilla, Opera, etc.) to make sure all visitors see the same thing.

Good luck!
Kevin


Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxBrandis
Local time: 13:16
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
your are surely right Sep 27, 2004

Kfulton wrote:

First, let me congratulate you on putting together a web page.

I looked at your html source and didn't see much in the way of metatags. These are "invisible" tags used by search engines when looking for site content. You need to include metatags for your language combinations and services. The search bots also seek out actual content, but the metatags make it happen faster.

The other thing has to do with layout.

Your services are off to the side of the screen, and in the center, at least using my browser, all I see is

"Please send your detailed inquiries to
info@tle-services.com"

Indeed, that's an important component on any website, but you need to put your message (your services/experience, etc.) in the center of the image.

You might also check your site using several different browsers (IE, Mozilla, Opera, etc.) to make sure all visitors see the same thing.

Good luck!
Kevin

umm Metatags, well I did something there, shall check and get back. You mean I should check my site locally on various browsers before putting up!. I had assumed that most people use the MSN Explorer. as this platform is so widely established. Regarding the fist 2-3 pages you are right about the content. I could manage that webdesign part under the button webdesign, here one has access to various forms of webdesigns including php-nuke type and for various parts of life,rubrics like corporate, education sports etc., I really must sort that content on translation and localisation part.
Thank you
Brandis


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:16
Member (2005)
German to Spanish
MIE for translator?...never back! Sep 27, 2004

Brandis wrote:

I had assumed that most people use the MSN Explorer

Brandis


As a translator, I'd consider to change to Opera (or Firefox) it is 1000 times better.

It is very important to chek if the site run fine in a Mac too.

A question, How are you planning this site, with a Online service based in models?


Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxBrandis
Local time: 13:16
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
the best thing to find out how this functions Sep 27, 2004

Toledo wrote:

Brandis wrote:

I had assumed that most people use the MSN Explorer

Brandis


As a translator, I'd consider to change to Opera (or Firefox) it is 1000 times better.

It is very important to chek if the site run fine in a Mac too.

A question, How are you planning this site, with a Online service based in models?
Click on the models and find out, there are fairly large number of these, for online sale. Thank you for the tip I shall try the other browsers aswell. Why Opera so interesting for a translator! I couldn´t catch that point.
Rgds
Brandis


Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxBrandis
Local time: 13:16
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
yes, there are metatags Sep 27, 2004

Kfulton wrote:

First, let me congratulate you on putting together a web page.

I looked at your html source and didn't see much in the way of metatags. These are "invisible" tags used by search engines when looking for site content. You need to include metatags for your language combinations and services. The search bots also seek out actual content, but the metatags make it happen faster.

The other thing has to do with layout.

Your services are off to the side of the screen, and in the center, at least using my browser, all I see is

"Please send your detailed inquiries to
info@tle-services.com"

Indeed, that's an important component on any website, but you need to put your message (your services/experience, etc.) in the center of the image.

You might also check your site using several different browsers (IE, Mozilla, Opera, etc.) to make sure all visitors see the same thing.

Good luck!
Kevin

HI! Infact, if you search in the google, you just might find me right on the first page, may be even on the 4-5 position. Year back I went to Andrews University.
Regards,
Brandis


Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxBrandis
Local time: 13:16
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mozilla Firefox Sep 28, 2004

Toledo wrote:

Brandis wrote:

I had assumed that most people use the MSN Explorer

Brandis


As a translator, I'd consider to change to Opera (or Firefox) it is 1000 times better.

It is very important to chek if the site run fine in a Mac too.

A question, How are you planning this site, with a Online service based in models?
Hi Toledo, Mozilla does not support, google toolbars, or Yahoo, MSN, or Yallow Pages, only MSN Explorer does it. Otherwise it looks and feels interesting. Why is it 1000 times better for a translator. The screen doesn´t roll using the mouse wheel either.
Rgds,
Brandis


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:16
Member (2005)
German to Spanish
Take a little more time testing it Sep 28, 2004

Brandis wrote:

Hi Toledo, Mozilla does not support, google toolbars, or Yahoo, MSN, or Yallow Pages, only MSN Explorer does it. Otherwise it looks and feels interesting. Why is it 1000 times better for a translator. The screen doesn´t roll using the mouse wheel either.
Rgds,
Brandis


I work with Opera. Google (and others) is install as part of it.

Why better? well
for example, Has MIE pop-up blocking, tabbed browsing, mouse gestures, integrated searches, password manager,...?

take a look at:
http://www.opera.com/features/tour/

if you 2xclic a word in a text with a right clic you can translate it.
A lot of simply things, shortcuts like "0" to zooming or 9 to zooming back

More secure...

[Edited at 2004-09-28 17:18]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how to get traffic to a site

Advanced search






SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »



All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs