Mobile menu

Are there any search engines which accept truncation/wildcard?
Thread poster: xxxNeenah
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Jan 7, 2005

I have been searching for a long time, but it seems like all the search engines don't accept truncation (wildcard/*) anymore. If anyone knows of one that does (and preferably also can read Scandinavian letters), I'd be very grateful!

Direct link Reply with quote

Balaban Cerit  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:24
English to Turkish
+ ...
seems not, but there are partial solutions Jan 7, 2005

Hi Neenah, I've been searching for a long time too! but it seems so unfortunately. However, I still have hope.

For the time being, you might use Google Suggest (Beta) as a partial solution. It was last discussed in:

It is useful for some searches. But I don't think it supports Scandinavian yet.

Probably you know this, but I'll mention it anyway:
The only wildcard Google now supports seems to be in this format:

"freedom is a * concept"

to find all these and others: "Freedom is a universal concept", "Freedom is a Divisive Concept", etc. But interestingly, this search can't find sentences that doesn't have a item in place of the wildcard, i.e., it can't find this sentence: "freedom is a concept".

You can also make searches like these:

"freedom * is a * concept", to find entries like "Freedom, however, is a relative concept", but this type of search also has the above mentioned setback.

While this is a somewhat different tool, you could find it useful too:
"Eureka's Google term search"

It was mentioned a while ago at:

[Edited at 2005-01-07 20:52]

English to Norwegian
+ ...
Word stems and truncation Jan 7, 2005

Thank you, it's good to know that at least I can use the wildcard to replace whole words!

However I mainly need it to add to a word stem, for instance sing* once upon a time would have found hits for both sings, singing, singular and so on. This function used to be very useful as I work with Scandinavian languages where the beginning of the words often will be similar, but the endings will vary. But I have now checked more than 30 search engines, and the outlook is rather bleak... ;o)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are there any search engines which accept truncation/wildcard?

Advanced search

The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs