Thread poster: ItalianLinguist
ItalianLinguist
Italy
Local time: 11:01
English to Italian
+ ...
Feb 5, 2005

http://www.subtitlingworldwide.com

Some of you went for this online course? Is it worth?

Thanks!
Have a great week-end!

Direct link Reply with quote

murat karahan  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 12:01
English to Turkish
+ ...
Seems very new to me Feb 5, 2005

Dear minuscola
it seems to be a very new course but I can throw in some comments about the potential benefits of a course. I've always believed that subtitling can not be taught but only learned. The best way to learn it is starting as an aprentice at a subtitling studio. But I believe that the instructors of this course are well aware of this fact and therefore would provide you with enough examples to concretize any theoretical framework you'll be supplied with. The course appears to be from Netherlands which has a long history of subtitling and where mainly subtitling is prefered on TV. And I GUESS I know the people who have started this course, they are possibly the same people who have created the software shown on the page. If I'm right then I can say that there could be many things for you to learn from them. Jolanda has books on subtitling are very handy. which Having a tutor is much better than having to re-discover America again and again.
HTH
Murat

minuscola wrote:

http://www.subtitlingworldwide.com

Some of you went for this online course? Is it worth?

Thanks!
Have a great week-end!

Casey Dovale  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:01
Dutch to English
+ ...
Some addittional information Apr 18, 2007

I agree with the premise that subtitling cannot be taught but must be learned. Although you will never be perfect at it, the key word here is practice! Practice, followed by evaluation and proper guidance is the key. This course certainly offers all of this. Although the software is not the property of the person offering the course, the software company is located in Holland.

I can say from personal experience that this course will give a solid base to get started from. How you develop your skills to make it a profession or earn a living from it is entirely up to you and your dedication to succeed at it.

[Edited at 2007-04-19 06:35]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Subtitling course

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs