Francesca moletta
Francesca moletta
Italy
Local time: 08:19
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 5, 2005

Hi
I've just installed Skype and I did the echo123 test. It didn't work because I cannot hear my voice.
I followed all the steps in their site, but I still can't hear my voice.

I read one needs a microphone and headset, but I believe there's already a microphone in my PC as I can hear echo123. I guess the problem is in recording.

It's quite bizarre, because it worked before I had to reboot my PC after a "usual" crash. I called a friend of mine and she coul
... See more
Hi
I've just installed Skype and I did the echo123 test. It didn't work because I cannot hear my voice.
I followed all the steps in their site, but I still can't hear my voice.

I read one needs a microphone and headset, but I believe there's already a microphone in my PC as I can hear echo123. I guess the problem is in recording.

It's quite bizarre, because it worked before I had to reboot my PC after a "usual" crash. I called a friend of mine and she could hear me.

What's wrong?
I use Windows XP home.
thanks
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
You need... Apr 5, 2005

Francesca Moletta wrote:

You need a headset with a micro (aprox. 15 €)

A speaker is not a microfon!
Do not use the boxes in your PC for this, or you will get echoes.

Regards

Fernando

Francesca moletta
Francesca moletta
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Fernando Apr 5, 2005

what I don't understand is why I could be heard by my friend without a microphone or headset and now I can't.

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 09:19
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
I can add Apr 5, 2005

you can use "boxes in your PC" or loudspeakers for Skype, but you have to have volume turned VERY low- so you yourself can barely hear the caller, otherwise echos makes any conversation incomprehensible.
So you need a microphone, preferably on a stand, cheapest here in Latvia cost 2- 2,5 Euros.

I have such configuration at my out-of-town place. At my office I have USB headset with microphone, but that is about EUR 60.

Uldis

Toledo wrote:
You need a headset with a micro (aprox. 15 €)

A speaker is not a microfon!
Do not use the boxes in your PC for this, or you will get echoes.

Regards

Fernando

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 09:19
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Because Apr 5, 2005

in special conditions loudspeaker also function as microphone (principle is the same, but due to different construction, you'll have to scream into loudspeaker to be heard- you have to move loudspeaker's membrane by your voice).
Certainly not a thing to relay on,

OTOH, you didn't mention what kind of computer you have- if it's laptop, it usually has inbuilt speakers and microphone and the problems can be with settings- can be changed in "Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices
... See more
in special conditions loudspeaker also function as microphone (principle is the same, but due to different construction, you'll have to scream into loudspeaker to be heard- you have to move loudspeaker's membrane by your voice).
Certainly not a thing to relay on,

OTOH, you didn't mention what kind of computer you have- if it's laptop, it usually has inbuilt speakers and microphone and the problems can be with settings- can be changed in "Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices" or in Skype itself (Tools>Options>Hand/Headsets), if it is desktop, then it's as I said above.

Uldis

Francesca Moletta wrote:

what I don't understand is why I could be heard by my friend without a microphone or headset and now I can't.

[Edited at 2005-04-05 21:01]
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
Have you a Laptop? Apr 5, 2005

Francesca Moletta wrote:

A Laptop has a "Mike" inside.

or maybe have you a Webcam with mikro?

If so, you have to go to the "Audio settings" and select the Micro track and not In-Line, both together is not possible.

Rgds

Francesca moletta
Francesca moletta
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
not a laptop Apr 5, 2005

I have a stationary PC

Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
best to use a microphone headset Apr 6, 2005

I have a Plantronics microphone/speaker headset with separate jack plug-ins that I've been using with Skype and with Yahoo VoIP for nearly a year. I've used them with my laptop and desktop PCs for meetings and training sessions.

I've also used the small table-top microphone, but I find it to be of mediocre coverage and quality.

Don't forget that you can usually plug mini-jack earphone/headsets for your portable CD player/MP3 player/walkman into the speaker output jack
... See more
I have a Plantronics microphone/speaker headset with separate jack plug-ins that I've been using with Skype and with Yahoo VoIP for nearly a year. I've used them with my laptop and desktop PCs for meetings and training sessions.

I've also used the small table-top microphone, but I find it to be of mediocre coverage and quality.

Don't forget that you can usually plug mini-jack earphone/headsets for your portable CD player/MP3 player/walkman into the speaker output jack of the computer. This avoids the problem with echo with external speakers (avoids other people around you being bothered)

I have several colleagues who have used the internal microphone of their laptops for Skype but several of them have found that problematic in using the laptop internal speaker, due to echo. We all now use headsets.

Jeff
http://www.geocities.com/jeffallenpubs/
Collapse

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
I use these 2-5 euro headsets with microphones Apr 6, 2005

As my children and my wife's dog break them once a month (they would break more expensive ones as well). Perhaps your microphone is broken. Buy a new one (and a spare - I always have one). I believe a headset is better for Skype than loudspeakers: no echo problems.

Francesca moletta
Francesca moletta
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Apr 29, 2005

Thanks all,

I bought a 12 euro headphone/mike combo.

Works well!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

skype recording

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »