Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:44
Czech to German
+ ...
May 19, 2005

Hi,

today I had a very strange experience with Mozilla (1.7.7) when downloading an attachment.

1st step: I get a pdf from an agency and when I want to save it to my desktop Mozilla tells me that this attachment is a txt-file. I save it, though, but when trying to open it with Acrobat all I get is an error-message and with Notepad - of course - nothing at all.

2nd step: The agency (they're really very nice people there !) sends me a scanned and zipped versi
... See more
Hi,

today I had a very strange experience with Mozilla (1.7.7) when downloading an attachment.

1st step: I get a pdf from an agency and when I want to save it to my desktop Mozilla tells me that this attachment is a txt-file. I save it, though, but when trying to open it with Acrobat all I get is an error-message and with Notepad - of course - nothing at all.

2nd step: The agency (they're really very nice people there !) sends me a scanned and zipped version of those two pages, with the same result, only that this time my unzipper says that it could not do anything with this file.

3rd step: I use IE for downloading - and everything's OK!

Does anyone of you happen to have an idea what the problem could have been or encountered similar things with Mozilla? I'm really curious to know what was going on there...

Many thanks in advance!

Charlotte
Collapse

00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
English to French
+ ...
Mozilla May 19, 2005

Hi Charlotte --

I've used Mozilla for years and I never had such problems.

Perhaps you could give some details about your system -- if you hadn't mentioned Notepad we wouldn't even know you're on Windows and not on Mac or Linux.

Perhaps you could upgrade to 1.78?

In any case, both for 1.77 and 1.78, there is this mention in the Release Notes:

I've used Mozilla for years and I never had such problems.

Perhaps you could give some details about your system -- if you hadn't mentioned Notepad we wouldn't even know you're on Windows and not on Mac or Linux.

Perhaps you could upgrade to 1.78?

In any case, both for 1.77 and 1.78, there is this mention in the Release Notes:

Attaching RTF files to emails may result in them being sent such that most readers will not be able to read them. If you plan to send RTF attachments, you should go to Edit>Preferences>Navigator>Helper Applications, select "New Type", and enter:

MIME Type: application/rtf
Description: Rich Text Document
Extension: rtf

and then select OK to close the dialogs.

I don't think it has any relevance to your problem but it's a good idea to check Release Notes as a first measure, with special attention to International versions:
http://www.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla1.7.7/known-issues-int.html

Best,
Esther

[Edited at 2005-05-19 20:57]
Collapse

Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:44
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Similar problem May 19, 2005

Hi,

I have had something similar happening to my mails when I open my account in Mozilla. Sometimes pdf or zip files change the file type during the download and as a result I cannot open them. I usually forward the message to my aol account and can open it there without any problems.
I use Internet based yahoo account (due to serious traveling done for the past few years). I have no idea what causes it and it sure irritates the hell out of me. But I have my workaround.
... See more
Hi,

I have had something similar happening to my mails when I open my account in Mozilla. Sometimes pdf or zip files change the file type during the download and as a result I cannot open them. I usually forward the message to my aol account and can open it there without any problems.
I use Internet based yahoo account (due to serious traveling done for the past few years). I have no idea what causes it and it sure irritates the hell out of me. But I have my workaround.

Cheers,
Burrell

[Edited at 2005-05-19 21:21]
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 03:44
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
I never can download with Firefox May 19, 2005

Instead I have to use IE. Don't know why but that's the way it is.

00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
English to French
+ ...
Europe vs U.S. and Canada? May 19, 2005

It just occurred to me that all of you with problems are in Europe and I remember some years ago North American customers had to take a kind of online oath to get the fully encrypted version of Netscape/Mozilla. Now it's very easy for the server to know if we're in the U.S. or Canada before allowing the download. It's possible you download a different version and we're not talking about the same piece of software.

Best,
Esther

Emilija Ivanovska
Emilija Ivanovska  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:44
English to Macedonian
+ ...
I've had similar experience with Firefox.... May 19, 2005

with my yahoo mail. I see the attachment as a PDF, JPG, DOC or whatever, and then when I download it and try to open it, it wouldn't open with any applications that I have on my PC, but would require another program for it. Solution? I simply use Internet Explorer and keep thinking the problem is in my computer I'm relieved now to see others have had the same problem.

Cheers,

Emilija

[Edit
... See more
with my yahoo mail. I see the attachment as a PDF, JPG, DOC or whatever, and then when I download it and try to open it, it wouldn't open with any applications that I have on my PC, but would require another program for it. Solution? I simply use Internet Explorer and keep thinking the problem is in my computer I'm relieved now to see others have had the same problem.

Cheers,

Emilija

[Edited at 2005-05-20 02:24]
Collapse

Atikah
Atikah  Identity Verified
Malaysia
Local time: 08:44
English to Malay
i had the same prob. May 20, 2005

Just a few days ago, i had a similar problem when i downloaded a pdf file from my yahoo email. it appeared on my desktop without any extension thus i wasn't able to open it with any application. what i did was, i renamed the file giving it a dot pdf extension, and voila! it opened. so you could try this method.

hth
atikah

Emilija Ivanovska wrote:

Cheers,

Emilija

[Edited at 2005-05-20 02:24]

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:44
German to English
+ ...
Open from Reader May 20, 2005

Atikah wrote:

Just a few days ago, i had a similar problem when i downloaded a pdf file from my yahoo email. it appeared on my desktop without any extension thus i wasn't able to open it with any application. what i did was, i renamed the file giving it a dot pdf extension, and voila! it opened. so you could try this method.

You will probably find that you can open it from Adobe Reader without altering or adding the file extension.

Just start Acrobat Reader, click on the "Open" (folder) icon or do File>Open from the Reader toolbar or just do Ctrl+O on your keyboard, navigate to your file, select and open it.

[Edited at 2005-05-20 19:40]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Strange behaviour of Mozilla

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »