Google Page Rank: Gone Forever?
Thread poster: Selçuk Budak

Selçuk Budak  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:53
English to Turkish
+ ...
May 30, 2005

As perhaps some of you already noticed, the little green google page rank indicator has greyed for all sites since 27th May. Now, proz and my 2 week old site has the same PR: 0

The webmaster circles seem to be in an acute panic attack, rushing from one forum to another asking what hell this "greying out" means. Is it a major update, or is it that Google, now a public company, has thrown the complete PR issue to the wastebasket of internet history without any announcement? Rumors are numerous, so the speculations are.

Taken together with equally panicking corruption rumors about DMOZ, it is safe to say that internet would be different than ever within the days ahead.

It is already well known that other search engines like Yahoo and MSN brings more relevant results than google does whose SERPs are stuffed with scrap. Perpahs google is trying to clean such scrap from its SERPs.

Whether the little green bar has really gone or not, it is evident that a deep shift in google's ranking algo is imminent.
I hope that this shift yields more content rich, more relevant results on Google SERPs.

---update---
I read elswhere that the pagerank will be back within hours. Anyway, they will have to do something before the NYSE bell.

Now seems resumed in certain parts of America.

[Edited at 2005-05-30 19:52]

[Edited at 2005-05-30 21:02]

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 12:53
SITE FOUNDER
Welcome back May 31, 2005

Three? If your site is only two weeks old, you are doing well!

English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Glad that it is back May 31, 2005

Henry wrote:

Three? If your site is only two weeks old, you are doing well!

Not the one you probably reached through my profile page, it is approximately one year old now. But another site with a PR0 currently under construction.

Anyway, I am glad that our little green bar is back. I feel myself lost without it when surfing!

(BTW, yes, I am doing well. I am on 1st page of all major search engines except google.) I was also #7 with my profile page on Google before proz modified the tag structure of profile pages. Now I have to make a new SEO.)

English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Bourbon Update Jun 5, 2005

A major Google algo update that first detected around 20th May seems to nearing an end. Since that date, SERPs were fluctuating up and down. Now it seems that it is stabilizing.

In webmaster circles Bourbon is considered better than Florida Update, and yielding better & more relevant results.

With this update, proz seemes improved somehow, especially if such keywords as "freelance," "translation service," etc. are included. But without the addition of "freelance," proz fails to appear on first pages.

[Edited at 2005-06-10 14:58]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Google Page Rank: Gone Forever?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs