I'm unable to access any FTP sites and keep getting an "Operation timed out" error message.
Thread poster: Hazel Underwood
Hazel Underwood
Hazel Underwood  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:34
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Jun 8, 2005

I'm unable to access any FTP sites and keep getting an "Operation timed out" error message. Does anyone have any tips? I've tried CuteFTP and that still won't work. Help!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-06-08 13:46]

Channa Montijn
Channa Montijn  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:34
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Check settings Jun 8, 2005

Take a look at the settings of your ftp-programme (time-out setting), by changing that in 20 minutes or so, your problem should be solved.

Good luck!

guilhen
guilhen
Spanish to French
+ ...
check password Jun 8, 2005

Hy,

I had the same problem last year. I don't know exactly why but I tried to connect to my server with a computer and it was impossible. Then I tried with another computer and it worked.
Maybe you can try to download another ftp program?
That's all I can say...

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Security Settings Jun 8, 2005

I found it helped to drop the security level on Internet Options to medium.

HTH

Hazel Underwood
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nope, tried that! Jun 8, 2005

Textklick wrote:

I found it helped to drop the security level on Internet Options to medium.

HTH

Hazel Underwood
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still not working Jun 8, 2005

Channa Montijn wrote:

Take a look at the settings of your ftp-programme (time-out setting), by changing that in 20 minutes or so, your problem should be solved.

Good luck!

I've tried that already, but it still won't work. In the end I managed to use my old laptop with dial-up, which obviously took a lot longer but got the job done at least! Thanks anyway!

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Passive mode Jun 8, 2005

Try using the passive mode. The exact setting depends on your software, but it will be there somewhere. If you are using a firewall, make sure your FTP software is enabled.

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
I think your dial up is using up the time Jun 8, 2005

Hazel Rose wrote:

Channa Montijn wrote:

Good luck!

I've tried that already, but it still won't work. In the end I managed to use my old laptop with dial-up, which obviously took a lot longer but got the job done at least! Thanks anyway!
It is probably too thin, due to line overload. Try later in the evening or early mornings this might function.Brandis

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Did you install XP SP2 lately? Jun 8, 2005

If you did, you must tweak security settings (links to descriptions can be found at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx)

Natalia Gómez González
Natalia Gómez González
Spain
German to Spanish
+ ...
It may be because of your firewall Oct 4, 2005

It can be cause because your firewall is blocking the external communication

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I'm unable to access any FTP sites and keep getting an "Operation timed out" error message.

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »