Advice for a quick way to save my all my favourites?
Thread poster: Bianca Jacobsohn
Bianca Jacobsohn
Bianca Jacobsohn  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:05
French to English
+ ...
Aug 31, 2005

Hello everyone,

I was wondering whether anyone knows a quick and easy way of saving favourites off Internet Explorer - that is, all the URLS and the folders they are organised in. I'm starting my thesis and have saved heaps of important links saved from the beginning of the year and would be devastated if I lost everything!

Thanks!
Bianca

kimjasper
kimjasper  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
Favourites are in a folder Aug 31, 2005

Bianca AH wrote:

Hello everyone,

I was wondering whether anyone knows a quick and easy way of saving favourites off Internet Explorer - that is, all the URLS and the folders they are organised in. I'm starting my thesis and have saved heaps of important links saved from the beginning of the year and would be devastated if I lost everything!

Thanks!
Bianca

In my Windows XP they are all in this folder:

"C:\Documents and Settings\uuuuuuu\Favorites"
where uuuuuuu is my Windows user name.

Olga Judina
Olga Judina  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 13:05
Latvian to Russian
+ ...
Export to htm Aug 31, 2005

In Internet Explorer click File -> Import and Export then choose Export Favourites. All you Favourites will be exported into one .htm file.

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
copy all files in favorites Aug 31, 2005

to a memory stick, these days there are 1GB capacity sticks, and is more than sufficient, and when ever you need, you can update your favorites folder on the hard disc and back to memory stick. Best regards, Brandis

Bianca Jacobsohn
Bianca Jacobsohn  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone! Aug 31, 2005

Wow, that really was much easier than I thought!

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

Regards,
Bianca

df49f (X)
df49f (X)
France
bookmarks Aug 31, 2005

Hi
This is another possibility
http://www.mybookmarks.com/

Free registration - then you can save / import or export from your IE bookmarks / organize etc. - and update your MyBookmarks list regularly.

And if your PC crashes or you buy another one, you can go back on line at any time, retrieve your bookmarks and reimport them. Or if

(Note: they have an option
... See more
Hi
This is another possibility
http://www.mybookmarks.com/

Free registration - then you can save / import or export from your IE bookmarks / organize etc. - and update your MyBookmarks list regularly.

And if your PC crashes or you buy another one, you can go back on line at any time, retrieve your bookmarks and reimport them. Or if

(Note: they have an option to make your bookmarks public - probably better NOT to ! I unticked it of course)

dominique
Collapse

Piotr Sawiec
Piotr Sawiec  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
another advice Sep 1, 2005

I have another advice for you, even more important because you start working on your thesis, namely back up for your data. As everybody experienced, it is very easy to lose important data in case of system or computer crash. I was lucky once, because I moved important folder from the system folder on the drive C, like my documents to a different drive or at least partition. This way even if you have to reinstall the system, you will not lose your data and documents. It is more difficult with IE,... See more
I have another advice for you, even more important because you start working on your thesis, namely back up for your data. As everybody experienced, it is very easy to lose important data in case of system or computer crash. I was lucky once, because I moved important folder from the system folder on the drive C, like my documents to a different drive or at least partition. This way even if you have to reinstall the system, you will not lose your data and documents. It is more difficult with IE, although you can change the destination folders for your favourites in options of IE. The second thing is to backup these data to another drive, preferably a different physical hard drive. You can use many freeware programmes. The one I use is SyncBack. You can have several profiles for different users, you can set source and destination folders, also for your Favourites. This way, when starting this programme every day you can backup new documents, FAvourites in an incremental way. And it takes very little time.

Good luck

Piotr
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advice for a quick way to save my all my favourites?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »