Mobile menu

Help with typing Cyrillic in Windows Internet Explorer
Thread poster: Elizabeth Sumner
Elizabeth Sumner
Local time: 17:29
Russian to English
+ ...
Oct 26, 2005

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me. I'm translating Russian customer surveys on the web into English. Unfortunately, a lot of the answers were written in Latin letters and the client has employed someone to put them into Cyrillic. The woman who usually does this is off today and so I've been asked to help out.

Is there an easy way of typing Cyrillic letters directly into IE. At the moment I'm clicking letter by letter from Symbols into a Word doc and copying and pasting. If anyone has a better idea, please let me know.

Elizabeth

PS. I don't have a Russian keyboard!

Direct link Reply with quote

Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 20:29
Member (2005)
English to Russian
+ ...
On-Screen Keyboard Oct 26, 2005

which comes with Windows is very helpful.

From the Start menu, select Programs --> Accessories --> Accessibility --> On-Screen Keyboard.

You must have Cyrillic fonts installed on your system to be able to switch to Cyrillic layout. They can be found on your Windows installation CD.

HTH

Edit: typos

[Edited at 2005-10-26 11:42]

Elizabeth Sumner
Local time: 17:29
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Never seen that before! Oct 26, 2005

Hi Mikhail,

Thanks for that, I never knew you could bring up a little keyboard like that. It's certainly speeding things up.

Elizabeth

Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 20:29
Member (2005)
English to Russian
+ ...
Another tip Oct 26, 2005

Here's a tip about this widget.

Besides being a keyboard with "buttons" you can click, it provides the layout of the actual keys as they appear on the physical keyboard that has Cyrillic letters marked on each button.

So, this works best if you are trained to type without looking at the keyboard. Look at the little screen with Cyrillic characters and press the buttons on the real keyboard. Pretty soon you'll be typing away much faster than before

Of course, if you only need a few words typed in Russian, this method may not be worth the learning time.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with typing Cyrillic in Windows Internet Explorer

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs