How are web pages translated?
Thread poster: macrettoc
macrettoc
Local time: 06:00
German to English
Nov 4, 2005

I am trying to find information on how easy/difficult it is to translate web pages/sites. Does anyone know how exactly web pages are translated? Do you simply get Word pages or html pages from clients? I guess you can translate html/xml pages in Trados TagEditor? Has anyone got any expertise in this area of translation? I would be very grateful for any assistance!

Direct link Reply with quote

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:00
English to Russian
+ ...
it is a piece of cake! Nov 5, 2005

step 1: you get the full set of pages in html format from your client.

step 2: you visit http://www.translate.com/technology/tools/
and download the free program

step 3: the program extracts text from html files and you translate them in word with the help of trados or wordfast or simply typing the translation out of your head. You save the text file and Rainbow program automatically insert the translated text into the html file.

step 4: you take the ready translated html-file from the folder "Target" and send it to your customer.

step 5: Do not forget to prepare the invoice!! :0)

[Edited at 2005-11-05 00:30]

Levan Namoradze  Identity Verified
Georgia
Local time: 09:00
Member (2005)
English to Georgian
+ ...
Wow! Nov 5, 2005

Thanks Sergei!

Robert Tucker
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Content Management Systems Nov 5, 2005

It may not be quite so easy with sites that generate pages drawing text/information from databases or contain Flash presentations.

http://www.proz.com/topic/36990
http://www.proz.com/topic/37600

Sites which have Content Management Systems (CMS - Mambo, Drupal, Plone to mention just a few) usually have a means of inserting translated versions. Since, as far as I can see, these do not facilitate CAT tool use or have translation memory systems of their own, I wonder if they do in fact simplify the localization process so much as they possibly would like to claim.

I'm not sure how relevant xml:tm is here – certainly it is something that has started to intrigue me.

Pilar Esteban
Local time: 07:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
EditPlus: another option Nov 5, 2005

Hello!

I have used EditPlus and it is really easy!!! And you have to take into account that I´M alwayus figthing with computers...(just joking)

You can dowload it for free and try it for 30 days. It is really good.
www.editplus.com

I hope it helps.
Have a good weekend!
Pilar.

Clare Barnes  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to English
+ ...
Low tech... Nov 5, 2005

I regularly work with a web agency who simply send me their pages as Word documents, which we both prefer. I've also had pages sent to me as .txt files... so far I haven't had to cope with anything more complicated than that!

macrettoc
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks for all your help! Nov 5, 2005

Thank you all for all your suggestions. I'll certainly check out the linsk included in your replies. Suddenly the translation of web pages doesn't seem so daunting!!

Wishing you all a good weekend.

Slán!

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
as a newbie to translating HTML... Nov 6, 2005

macotter wrote:

I am trying to find information on how easy/difficult it is to translate web pages/sites. Does anyone know how exactly web pages are translated? Do you simply get Word pages or html pages from clients? I guess you can translate html/xml pages in Trados TagEditor? Has anyone got any expertise in this area of translation? I would be very grateful for any assistance!

HI

I learned to use TagEditor in a matter a minutes (a friend taked me thru it) to translate an entire website recently.

It's a doddle:-)

Slán

Ailish

macrettoc
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks, Ailish! All sounds good to me!! Nov 7, 2005

Lia Fail wrote:

macotter wrote:

HI

I learned to use TagEditor in a matter a minutes (a friend taked me thru it) to translate an entire website recently.

It's a doddle:-)

Slán

Ailish

Premier Focus  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:00
German to English
+ ...
Altered HTML code Feb 23, 2006

Good afternoon!

We prefer to work with the raw HTML code in Notepad (save HTML code as a text file) - this way the HTML code remains untouched. Even programs like TagEditor make small adjustments/changes to the code, which our clients do not like to see. We found our method to be the most precise/secure.

Cheers,

Kerstin

Angel_7  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Different packages on site you mention Mar 14, 2006

Sergei Tumanov wrote:

step 1: you get the full set of pages in html format from your client.

step 2: you visit http://www.translate.com/technology/tools/
and download the free program

step 3: the program extracts text from html files and you translate them in word with the help of trados or wordfast or simply typing the translation out of your head. You save the text file and Rainbow program automatically insert the translated text into the html file.

step 4: you take the ready translated html-file from the folder "Target" and send it to your customer.

step 5: Do not forget to prepare the invoice!! :0)

[Edited at 2005-11-05 00:30]

Sergei

Do you only need the Rainbow program on this site to do what you say as I notice they have several others, e.g. Olifant.

Sarah

María Teresa Taylor Oliver  Identity Verified
Panama
Local time: 00:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
Piece of cake? Not quite... Mar 18, 2006

I recently had a project at work (I'm an in-house translator at an electronics company) which involved not only HTML, but Flash movies, GIF/PNG/JPG images, PDF files, etc. It was a CBT (Computer Based Training) course.

Sure, HTML files are not too difficult to translate with Tag Editor, but what about formatting? Usually, text in Spanish has more words than text in English (I only work in this pair, but of course this changes for other languages), so I almost always have to edit the HTML file to fix the formatting so the Web page looks OK. And I have to do this with Dreamweaver.

Then, there's Flash files. Not easy to translate at all. Since Flash is not exactly text-oriented, it's definitely not user-friendly for a translator. You have to be careful not to mess up the formatting, specially with the cumbersome fact that Spanish text, again, is longer than English text. And, of course, a CAT program compatible with Flash hasn't been invented yet (if there is one out there, please tell me!).

Same thing happens with picture files. Since GIF/PNG/JPG pictures are "flattened", it's not possible to extract/edit the text on them, so what I usually do is open them in Illustrator, cover the text up with white (or the background color) boxes (quite tricky if the background is not a solid color) and type the translated text over the box.

Then, there's the PDF files. For this particular project, we didn't have the source files for the manuals that were in PDF. So we had to convert them to Word, in order to translate them with Trados. Of course that messed up the formatting and the images, which we also had to translate.

Of course, all this is desktop publishing, which is another job entirely different from the translation per se, and which you wouldn't normally be required to do with a freelance project. I do it, because I work in-house, so we (9 translators in all) have to do all the DTP after the translation is done. Talk about being a slave to the wage, heh But hey, I've learned A LOT these past few years, and it has helped me tremendously with my freelance jobs.

Anyway, while I know all this is relates to DTP, macotter did ask "How are Web pages translated?", so here's my two cents' worth

P.S.: Please note that I'm using "you" to refer to translators in general, not a particular person

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How are web pages translated?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs