Internet Explorer 7
Thread poster: Fred Neild (X)
Fred Neild (X)
Fred Neild (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 31, 2006

The Beta Internet Explorer 7 is available for downloading at Microsoft website, "downloads" link.

One of the new features are tabs, no more windows!

Fred

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 07:30
English to Spanish
+ ...
??? Jan 31, 2006

Hi Fred,

What do you mean by "no more windows"?

Fred Neild (X)
Fred Neild (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No windows!? Jan 31, 2006

Walter Landesman wrote:

Hi Fred,

What do you mean by "no more windows"?

Hi Walter,

You can open several tabs in the same window, it's interesting since I usually open many windows at the same time and this seems to be better, I have just installed it so I still don't know much.

Here is a link so you can practice your Portuguese skills

http://tecnologia.terra.com.br/interna/0,,OI857819-EI4801,00.html

Fred

Sabine Wanner
Sabine Wanner
Germany
Local time: 12:30
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Tabbed Browsing - like Firefox (former Mozilla) Jan 31, 2006

Well before with IE you always had to open a new window and sometimes passing from one Browser window to the other is ... well disturbing I'd say, in particular if you have also other four or five applications running.

Firefox has been offering tabbed browsing - that means to have one only window that has several tabs (a bit like the single sheets within an Excel file) where you can pass from one tab to the other using a keyboard shortcut or the mouse without having to change window
... See more
Well before with IE you always had to open a new window and sometimes passing from one Browser window to the other is ... well disturbing I'd say, in particular if you have also other four or five applications running.

Firefox has been offering tabbed browsing - that means to have one only window that has several tabs (a bit like the single sheets within an Excel file) where you can pass from one tab to the other using a keyboard shortcut or the mouse without having to change window.

Really IE had to implement this since it was one of the many reasons why more and more people passed to Firefox.

Of course you can also decide to open many windows like before.

I hope this helps

Best,

Sabine
Sabine Cretella
[email protected]
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:30
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
No more windows Jan 31, 2006

When you use Internet Explorer you are forced to open a new instance of IE, if you wish to see more than one Internet page at once. So you have then two or more windows, as much namely, as many Internet pages you opened simultaneously.
When you use Firefox for instance, you can open more than one page in one instance of Firefox - it opens so called "tabs", which are similar to "windows" in Word. You can easily switch between them by clicing a tab. This technique shall be now incorporated i
... See more
When you use Internet Explorer you are forced to open a new instance of IE, if you wish to see more than one Internet page at once. So you have then two or more windows, as much namely, as many Internet pages you opened simultaneously.
When you use Firefox for instance, you can open more than one page in one instance of Firefox - it opens so called "tabs", which are similar to "windows" in Word. You can easily switch between them by clicing a tab. This technique shall be now incorporated in IE 7.

It seems, that M$ has learned its lesson. The comming new Office shall be a small revolution too, I recently read. Let´s wait and see.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Dinny
Dinny  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 13:30
Italian to Danish
+ ...
Anybody having MORE problems with IE7 than IE6? Feb 27, 2007

Since I changed to IE7 if VERY often happens that I get the message that a site cannot be accessed, these being sites I have used every day for a long time (online dictionary, various forums), even my internet banking has stopped functioning.
It is becoming so annoying that I am considering going back to IE6, I can live with the many windows, who cares about the tabs as long as I don't run into obstacles every five minutes during the working day.

Is anybody having these probl
... See more
Since I changed to IE7 if VERY often happens that I get the message that a site cannot be accessed, these being sites I have used every day for a long time (online dictionary, various forums), even my internet banking has stopped functioning.
It is becoming so annoying that I am considering going back to IE6, I can live with the many windows, who cares about the tabs as long as I don't run into obstacles every five minutes during the working day.

Is anybody having these problems, too? Or could anybody please give me a suggestion to solve it?

Thanks
Dinny
Collapse

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 07:30
English to Spanish
+ ...
Very glad with IE 7 Feb 27, 2007

I am very happy with IE 7.

New windows and new tabs are very helpful. I don`t know anything about the problems Dinny is mentioning.

Thanks again to Fred for suggesting IE7. Let me remind you all that IE 7 is no more Beta but the final released version.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Internet Explorer 7

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »