Multiple FTP accounts on one domain
Thread poster: Lagom
Lagom  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:42
Swedish to English
Feb 22, 2006

Hi,

I want to set up multiple FTP accounts on one domain embedded in my site so that both clients and freelancers can login to upload or download files.

I know that this is a widely used method in the industry. Does anyone know of any 'off the peg' software that can be configured for this purpose.

Ideally the solution would have simple interfaces at 'both ends'.

Also, what is the correct terminology for such access/software.

Many thanks,

Ben

Direct link Reply with quote

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 10:42
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
FTP server/client Feb 22, 2006

You need an FTP server and client. The FTP server is probably already running on your site. Ask your provider for details on adding new FTP accounts.

As for the client, you can choose from many free or commercial applications (including MS Internet Explorer for a simple FTP access).

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 10:42
English to Swedish
+ ...
How much are you willing to spend? Feb 23, 2006

Benjamin Love wrote:
I want to set up multiple FTP accounts on one domain embedded in my site so that both clients and freelancers can login to upload or download files.

I know that this is a widely used method in the industry. Does anyone know of any 'off the peg' software that can be configured for this purpose.

Ideally the solution would have simple interfaces at 'both ends'.

Also, what is the correct terminology for such access/software.

Many thanks,

Ben

Hi Ben,

At our office, we're running Serv-U FTP server. As an admin, I can log into the admin interface and create accounts and users at will.

Not sure what you mean with off the peg, though.
We paid €300 for a corporate license here (unlimited users). There is a smaller version which limits to five concurrent accounts.
The number of features often goes hand-in-hand with the price!

But there is a lot of FTP server software out there. I'm sure someone else can recommend a solution for you costing less than €50...

/Jan

Lagom  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:42
Swedish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your help Mar 27, 2006

Thanks for your help and I apologise for the delay in responding as I have been enormously busy and kept meaning to write something but always got distracted! I think I am going to go for a simple tailor made PHP project management system unless you know of a server based system available on a license basis?

Best wishes,
Ben Love

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiple FTP accounts on one domain

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs