Designing Webpages
Thread poster: Angel_7

Angel_7  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:11
French to English
+ ...
Mar 14, 2006

How can I go about this without knowing HTML and find a decent hosting package. I am so overwhelmed by all the information out there that I don't understand.

Sarah

Direct link Reply with quote

Aleksandr Okunev
Local time: 02:11
English to Russian
Many options Mar 15, 2006

Sarah390 wrote:How can I go about this without knowing HTML

• Design your page in FrontPage or even Word and upload it.
• Hire a WEB-designer.

and find a decent hosting package.

Just think of what you can afford. I would also recommend you not to avoid free hosting altogether, they offer a lot.

Lagom  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
A recommendation Mar 15, 2006

Hi Sarah,

I am UK based and for a number of years have had a number of sites hosted with the UK company easily.co.uk without any problems.

When choosing a hosting company you need to be aware if they actually host the sites themselves or whether they are one of the many 'reseller' companies that are operating affiliate schemes with a larger company.

If I can answer any specific questions that you may have then please send me a mail and I would be happy to help.

Best wishes,
Ben

Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 04:41
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Become a member of proz Mar 16, 2006

If you become a member of proz, you will 100 MB of webserver space in which you can put up your website.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:11
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Really? Mar 16, 2006

Balasubramaniam wrote:
If you become a member of proz, you will 100 MB of webserver space in which you can put up your website.

Really? Does Proz.com offer web site building tools? Is it truly possible to put up a Proz.com hosted web site without any knowledge of HTML or web design?

Angel_7  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Proz.om Mar 16, 2006

Samuel Murray wrote:

Balasubramaniam wrote:

Really? Does Proz.com offer web site building tools? Is it truly possible to put up a Proz.com hosted web site without any knowledge of HTML or web design?

Samuel

Like you I'm not sure about this. I know Proz offers you a domain name and hosting services but not actual web building services. The best service I've found so far in that respect is the one Benjamin advised on www.easily.co.uk

Are you sure Balasubramaniam?

Sarah

Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 04:41
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
I didn't mean that Mar 19, 2006

Hi Samuel and Sarah,

I didn't mean that proz.com provides website development services too. All that I intended to say was that you get 100 mb of web space with membership, in which you can put up your website.

You will have to make the website of course, but is that too difficult a task. A simple, functional website can be done up even by using just MSWord.

Samuel being a web designer himself would not think much of such a web site, but it will be a website all right

Reed James
Chile
Local time: 20:11
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
An comprehensive and inexpensive option Apr 21, 2006

Sarah390 wrote:

How can I go about this without knowing HTML and find a decent hosting package. I am so overwhelmed by all the information out there that I don't understand.

Sarah

Sarah,

A viable option would be to purchase SiteSpinner: www.virtualmechanics.com. SiteSpinner is easier to use than MS Word and you do not have to know any HTML. (You can use it if you want to though.) For web hosting, I use Yahoo GeoCities for less than US$ 10 per month. The nice thing about GeoCities is that they register your domain for you and provide you with all sorts of tools for statistics, etc.

This is what I have been doing for the past 6 months, and I have been quite happy. You can see my page at: www.prospanishtranslation.com.

HTH

Reed D. James

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Designing Webpages

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs