What has happened to Yahoo mail?
Thread poster: Tim Drayton

Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 03:09
Turkish to English
+ ...
Jun 19, 2006

It has just happened again. Somebody phones to ask why I haven't replied to their e-mail about a job offer. I have used yahoo e-mail to deal with clients for years and found it to be totally reliable. Until a few months ago. Now I keep experiencing the above event.
I have an e-mail address with my domain but prefer not to advertise it so that it doesn't get clogged up with spam. Perhaps I will have to rethink this strategy.
Are any other yahoo mail users experiencing this kind of thing?

Direct link Reply with quote

Walter Landesman
Uruguay
Local time: 21:09
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Spam filter Jun 19, 2006

Hi,

Yahoo has a Spam filter. If they don`t recognize the sender, the email is sent to the Spam folder.

You should check that folder everyday, just in case. Do not delete any message in that fodler until you have checked they are not from clients or people you know.

When you find one email from a client in that folder, you just check a box stating "this is not spam" and in the future those emails will be sent rigth to the new emails folder.

Walter

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Yahoo discriminates against some domains Jun 19, 2006

One of my customers uses a yahoo.com mail account. Last automn he suddenly stopped recieving my mail. The reason is that yahoo was programmed not to let through my domain (which is the second most common commercial mail provider in Finland). So because its a good customer I send to him from a free webmail address.
You should better switch to a decent provider or use your own domain mailaccount. Spam is no big problem anymore.
Regards
Heinrich

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
One week delay Jun 19, 2006

Recently a client sent me an e-mail to my Yahoo that came in with a one week delay. At the same time I had a good collection of spam spanning that past week.

The client had also contacted me by phone so there was no problem, but that delay is certainly a concern.

Delia Georgescu  Identity Verified
Romania
English to Romanian
+ ...
Oh, my God! Jun 19, 2006

Oh, my God! Thanks for asking and for answering. I have the same problem but I didn't imagine that I was deleting every day probably interesting e-mails

Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Turkish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jun 20, 2006

Thanks for your replies. I certainly agree that this problem started whan Yahoo introduced its spam filter. I have decided from now on to promote my own domain e-mail address, although I can see problems there as well because the server has been down several times recently.

PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:09
English to Polish
+ ...
yahoo Jun 20, 2006

I use my yahoo account as my "public" e-mail address - I write it in whenever I am asked to provide an e-mail addresss on a public site.

Spam has been getting steadily worse, but I stopped deleting it - it's actually sort of amusing to see 1500 unread messages in the bulk folder.

You should give the bulk folder a quick glance every day (or however often you wish to see if something didn't get there by accident.
The safest way to make sure an e-mail isn't filtered is to add it to the address book.

You should be careful when looking at the bulk folder beause spam often comes "from the future" - the date is one or two days ahead, so that the spam is on top of your incoming list.

That buries any real mail you may have missed a few lines down on the list.

Pawel Skalinski

Aurélie DANIEL  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:09
English to French
+ ...
Been there Jun 21, 2006

A year ago I started having troubles with my Yahoo account. Either I never received the messages in my inbox, or I could see for example 5 new messages and by the time I had read the first one, the other 4 had disappeared. That was really, really annoying. I wrote a support request, then a second one, but never received any answer (or did I???) Then I decided to switch to Gmail.

This problem with Yahoo started after I set an "out of office" message while I was on holidays. The problem went on for some time (three weeks or so), then disappeared. Then I set another "out of the office" message, and it started again. Could it be your case as well?

Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What has happened to Yahoo mail?

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs