Online glossary software?
Thread poster: Julian Reisenberger
Julian Reisenberger
Germany
Local time: 06:00
German to English
Aug 16, 2006

Just joined, so hello, and I hope I have the correct section:

Does anyone know of software for creating/managing *online* searchable glossaries in several languages, or software that could conceivably be repurposed for such use?

Open-source would be ideal, but if there are dedicated products, that would of course equally be of interest.

Background: I have had a manual glossary as simple alphabetic tables set up for some years, but as more languages get added it becomes more and more time consuming to manage: adding 1 new language means recreating all the other tables for every single letter of each language afresh. Likewise adding terms is not much fun.

Over the years I have become more competent with web-skills and would now have no problem setting up a two language glossary using a CMS. However, it gets more difficult when making terms/entries correspond over 3 or more languages.

Any ideas would be welcome! Many thanks in advance

Julian

Direct link Reply with quote

mrr2ro
United States
Local time: 23:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
Online Glossary Aug 16, 2006

A wiki system should help..

Check them, they are open source / free at.

http://sourceforge.net/search/?type_of_search=soft&words=wiki

Or try any other of the open source Glossary utilities.

http://sourceforge.net/search/?words=wiki&type_of_search=soft&words=glossary&Search=Search

Take your pick.

Good luck! A wiki system should help..

Check them, they are open source Wiki systems.

http://sourceforge.net/search/?type_of_search=soft&words=wiki

Or try any other of the open source Glossary utilities.

http://sourceforge.net/search/?words=wiki&type_of_search=soft&words=glossary&Search=Search

Take your pick.

Good luck!

[Edited at 2006-08-16 18:34]

Ivaylo Ivanov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Member (2005)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Glossword Aug 16, 2006

Consider Glossword

Glossword is a system to publish dictionaries, glossaries and encyclopedias. It features: installation wizard; multiple languages support (UTF-8); visual themes; admin interface with multi-user support; built-in search and cache engines; uninstaller.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/glossword/

julian r wrote:

Just joined, so hello, and I hope I have the correct section:

Does anyone know of software for creating/managing *online* searchable glossaries in several languages, or software that could conceivably be repurposed for such use?

Open-source would be ideal, but if there are dedicated products, that would of course equally be of interest.

Background: I have had a manual glossary as simple alphabetic tables set up for some years, but as more languages get added it becomes more and more time consuming to manage: adding 1 new language means recreating all the other tables for every single letter of each language afresh. Likewise adding terms is not much fun.

Over the years I have become more competent with web-skills and would now have no problem setting up a two language glossary using a CMS. However, it gets more difficult when making terms/entries correspond over 3 or more languages.

Any ideas would be welcome! Many thanks in advance

Julian

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
either everybody for himself Aug 16, 2006

or we pull it together:

wikiwords

Julian Reisenberger
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks, details of project and thoughts on realisation Aug 16, 2006

Thank you all for your useful and well-informed feedback. Looking at the different options so far, I realise that a glossary can be many things - in this case it might better be described as a multilingual dictionary without any definitions of the terms:

http://www.dachverband-lehm.de/glossary/
(click on open glossary and it will open in a new window)

It is a 6 language terminology glossary for earthen building terminology: Italiano, Deutsch, English, Français, Español, Руcckий Several years ago, when I discovered that the hard work of the authors was only on file as an excel file, I converted it for online use in a relatively simple form so that it was at least of use to the community. Later I added Russian and had to redo all the tables (now approx. 6 * 26 handmade tables). Now we have received a large portion of it in arabic too and it is no longer workable in that form.

As part of the general reworking of the association's homepage I am looking at ways of making it more useful, i.e. searchable, displaying only certain language pairs/triplets etc, this time dynamically generated. If it were to become extendable in the process, and in an open format, I would be all for it, and I think the authors would be too.

To the suggestions (so far):
Glossword looks like it could be promising. All the online demos I found were definition glossaries, but the sample xml file includes parallel translations. A downside: it seems the developer abandoned the project under somewhat dubious circumstances and I was only to get at some of the documentation through the internet archive on the wayback machine. So forward-development looks unlikely without another programmer taking it on. I shall install it locally and try it out all the same.

wikiwords:
I received a private mail about wikiwords too (thanks too), and in principle that could be excellent - I love the idea of 'setting it free' for others to extend, clarify and correct and the ability to illustrate certain concepts with an image sounds ideal.
Important aspects would be the ease with which the terms can be imported (not just workwise but also as I cannot contact all the authors again to get them to clarify concepts) as well as the ability to link to and browse the subset of the overall wordwiki - otherwise users will simply be swamped by the rest of the wordwiki site and will simply feel sent to 'another site' rather than 'their' glossary. I guess that is what the concept of the collections are. It seems different viewing modes (A-Z and language combination listings) are currently in development.

wiki/sourceforge: I've downloaded a few selected glossary and dictionary projects to take a closer look at these too.

thanks again and further suggestions are still welcome!

Robert Tucker
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:00
German to English
+ ...
Matapuna Aug 17, 2006

If Glossword is of interest to you, you might also want to take a look at Matapuna:

www.matapuna.org

You may also like to see if the WiktionaryZ project would be useful - perhaps contact the developers to find out how you could interact with it.

http://wiktionaryz.org/Main_Page

ProZ member Sabine Cretella (www.proz.com/pro/8275) is active in the project and also owns the website including this page (which, I believe she wrote):

http://wordsandmore.org/index.php?title=WiktionaryZ_..._almost_there

The WiktionaryZ tarball on:

http://wiktionaryz.org/WiktionaryZ

does not, so far as I can ascertain, contain a working system. It seems to set up properly but one of the MySQL tables doesn't seem to be created as required.

[Edited at 2006-08-17 06:45]

Julian Reisenberger
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again Aug 23, 2006

Thanks again for the further useful pointers.

I'm slightly torn between a simple dedicated glossary in the form it has at the moment but with better flexibility and a becoming part of a more open project with greater potential use.

Pros of dedicated solution:
- compact and contained for the earthen building community
- no need to expand on the individual language entries (allocation, relations etc.) or return to the original translation providers.

Pros of wiki/open solution:
- general usage open and flexible - contribution is greater
- earthen building community can potentially find terminology to commonly related fields (ecology, building, construction, renewable building materials...)

Last question for the moment: If I were to follow the dedicated route, could I at least ensure that data is provided/exportable in a form that can be imported to the relevant wikis, i.e. is there an open transfer format and where could I read up on this?

Robert Tucker
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:00
German to English
+ ...
TBX Aug 23, 2006

WiktionaryZ intends to be able to import and export using tbx.

http://wiktionaryz.org/User:Kipcool/importing
www.lisa.org/standards/tbx/

I have not read that the means of doing this has yet been finalized.

Ultimately it will mean having a client on ones own machine to read information from and input information to WiktionaryZ. The WiktionaryZ team are keen that such a client will encourage translators to make entries into the database as they go along and have seemed intent that such a client will work essentially (from) within the CAT tool OmegaT.

Though the WikitionaryZ have been pressed for more information about this information transfer so that it could be implemented in other tools or in a stand-alone client I have not myself seen any.

Julian Reisenberger
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
good infos received Aug 27, 2006

Thank you again, Robert, for the details on TBX. If the format enjoys more widespread use, then it becomes independent of my site or WiktionaryZ' and of the tools required.

I have had really very useful and informed responses here and feel I have come to the right place here at ProZ.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Online glossary software?

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs