Which is the best PDA/Mobile to access internet while on the go?
Thread poster: Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Local time: 10:42
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Oct 22, 2006

Internet has become indispensable but we can't take our computers and loptops everywhere.

I think a lot of professionals out of you might be using a PDA/Mobile while you are not at your workplace because any communication gap could prove to be harmful as you lose a job for not replying to a prospective or present client immediately.

I would be thankful if you could guide me in this respect.

1. Please note that I am talking about a PDA/ Mobile on which I c
... See more
Internet has become indispensable but we can't take our computers and loptops everywhere.

I think a lot of professionals out of you might be using a PDA/Mobile while you are not at your workplace because any communication gap could prove to be harmful as you lose a job for not replying to a prospective or present client immediately.

I would be thankful if you could guide me in this respect.

1. Please note that I am talking about a PDA/ Mobile on which I can access internet. I am not talking about a phone which we connect to laptop to access internet. Instead I want to access internet on mobile itself.

2. The PDA/Mobile should be GPRS and WAP enabled as I understand that we can surf every site if our phone has WAP.
Please advise.

3. Can I access my e-mail also. Whether there is a provision to insert Login Name and Password? Can some other person also check his e-mail on this phone.

4. The PDA/Mobile should have the biggest and widest screen so that there is no difficulty in viewing the text?

5. Can I download the e-mail attachments?

Can I open the MS Word and Excel files?

Can I transfer the downloaded file to my PC?

6. Further, which company provides best services at reasonable rates for accessing internet on Mobile in India?

7. Is there any plan for the unlimited access? If so, how much does it cost?

I'd be thankful for any further information in this respect.
Collapse

Stefanie Sendelbach
Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:12
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Interesting topic Oct 22, 2006

Hi langclinic,

Thank you for posting this thread. This topic is of interest to me too.

2. The PDA/Mobile should be GPRS and WAP enabled as I understand that we can surf every site if our phone has WAP.
Please advise.

I can only talk about my experience in Germany:

I recently purchased the Xda neo model from o2 Germany. Unfortunately I am neither impressed with the hardware (hangs every few days, sometimes even several times a day) nor the price (It is very expensive to access the internet through this device. They offer a WAP package, but then my main email provider does not support WAP. Using GPRS is still overpriced here.) nor the customer service (I've been trying to get in touch with them since about a week. Their server won't let me send emails to their support).

Can I access my e-mail also. Whether there is a provision to insert Login Name and Password? Can some other person also check his e-mail on this phone.

My model is equipped with a mobile version of Outlook. Haven't tried it yet. But I think any device that comes with Windows Mobile will include Outlook. You should simply need to set up the different email accounts to access any email services you want.

Can I download the e-mail attachments?

Can I open the MS Word and Excel files?

Can I transfer the downloaded file to my PC?

Again, if Windows Mobile is installed, you usually have Word Mobile, Excel Mobile, PowerPoint Mobile and a ZIP program. The problem with downloading files might again be the price of the internet connection.

My device has a utility called ActiveSync which allows rather simple synchronization with the computer.

You might also take into consideration the input methods the device offers. Some come with a built-in QWERTY keyboard (which makes the device rather big and heavy), some offer the same keys as a normal mobile phone (numeric keys with three letters per key), then there are devices with a touch pad only (input with a stylus) and some offer a reduced version of a QWERTY keyboard (two letters per key).

Best regards,
Stefanie

Clare Barnes
Clare Barnes  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to English
+ ...
Nokia phone Oct 22, 2006

I have a Nokia E61 (http://europe.nokia.com/A4142103) which is great. It's a little larger than a state of the art mobile, but still small and has a full keyboard which I find easy to use - as well as a great screen. I'm not a massively technical person and I have had no problems getting it up and running at all.

It has an e-mail programme and I can open mail attachments (Word, excel etc),
... See more
I have a Nokia E61 (http://europe.nokia.com/A4142103) which is great. It's a little larger than a state of the art mobile, but still small and has a full keyboard which I find easy to use - as well as a great screen. I'm not a massively technical person and I have had no problems getting it up and running at all.

It has an e-mail programme and I can open mail attachments (Word, excel etc), but I have never had to download them to the computer from the phone as e-mail remains on the remote server even when you view it on the phone. This means that they can be still be downloaded to the mail programme on my PC even after viewing them (and replying to them) on the phone. It's possible to create a number of different e-mail accounts on the phone, so that other people can view their mail too.

You can transfer files to your PC and there is software that comes with the phone but, as I said, I've never had to use it...

It has WAP & GPRS (just checked as I don't even know what they are even though I got the phone working all by myself!! Like I said, it's easy to use!). The other thing about it which has been very useful is that the battery lasts an extremely long time.

I can't really comment how much it costs to surf/download files/e-mail as I imagine that varies so much depending on who your service provider is.

http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/phones/mobile-phones/581914/reviews
Collapse

Michele Johnson
Michele Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Palm Treo 650 Oct 23, 2006

When travelling, I "share" a Palm Treo 650 with my partner:
http://www.palm.com/us/products/smartphones/treo650/
and have been really impressed so far. Previous models had some problems with hanging and crashing, but they seem to be resolved as far as I can tell. A newer model, the 700, has apparently been released now.

1. I use the browser that comes with t
... See more
When travelling, I "share" a Palm Treo 650 with my partner:
http://www.palm.com/us/products/smartphones/treo650/
and have been really impressed so far. Previous models had some problems with hanging and crashing, but they seem to be resolved as far as I can tell. A newer model, the 700, has apparently been released now.

1. I use the browser that comes with the Treo 650, called Blazer. Very happy with it.

2. The Treo supports both WAP and GPRS (and Bluetooth, and it looks like WLAN starting with the 700)

3. The Treo has its own mail client called VersaMail. It works great and we can set up different accounts for different people. Otherwise you could always just use a website like mail2web.com.

4. Dunno about biggest and widest. Surfing the internet on a handheld is inherently a pain IMO. Screen size seems adequate here.

5. Yes, you can download email attachments. Our model came with a free Documents to Go Viewer: http://www.dataviz.com/products/documentstogo/bundle/dxtg_welcome_handspring.html?hh=treo600&model=Handspring&version=6.0&chart=
Looks like you might have to pay something if you want to edit them too. You can sync everything with the computer via USB cable or Bluetooth.

6. I have no idea about the Indian market. I use T-Mobile in Germany.

7. I just checked out T-Mobile Germany's rates for business customers. They offer for instance 5 GB transfer volume (GPRS/UMTS/
HSDPA), and 200 hours of W-LAN for EUR 30.17 per month plus VAT. For private customers, rates start at 5 EUR per month including 30 MB, plus EUR 1,90 per additional MB after that. Maybe someone else can give you a better idea of pricing in India.

In the US, many hotels, restaurants, etc. offer free WLAN access. If it's the same in India, the 700 model would be a big advantage.

And, I almost forgot to mention, it also has a great organizer function, a camera, and apparently an MP3 player, although I have never used that before.

[Edited at 2006-10-23 12:18]
Collapse

Daniel Bird
Daniel Bird  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:12
German to English
Old school solution Oct 23, 2006

Hi there
my solution is a Palm Tungsten T3 PDA - I bought it new in 2004 but it's no longer available new, however they are fairly cheap on ebay - coupled with a SonyEricsson T68i, bought secondhand, specifically because it is one of the phones for which the PDA has ready setup drivers.
The phone is GPRS, the PDA talks to the phone via Bluetooth or infrared. The Tungsten is equipped as standard with VersaMail mail client and WebPro for surfing - you can add Blazer too which other peo
... See more
Hi there
my solution is a Palm Tungsten T3 PDA - I bought it new in 2004 but it's no longer available new, however they are fairly cheap on ebay - coupled with a SonyEricsson T68i, bought secondhand, specifically because it is one of the phones for which the PDA has ready setup drivers.
The phone is GPRS, the PDA talks to the phone via Bluetooth or infrared. The Tungsten is equipped as standard with VersaMail mail client and WebPro for surfing - you can add Blazer too which other people swear by. You connect the two devices and away you go. There's also a wifi card available for the PDA so you can link up with hotspots independent of the phone network e.g. at airports etc. Added bonus is the full DocumentsToGo software on the PDA which you can edit .doc and .xls with, not just view.
I'm a fan of the Palm, so don't take my word for it, but it does work, and quite impressively too. Finally I would agree with Michele that surfing ain't great on a PDA sized screen.
Good luck
Dan
Collapse

Dyran Altenburg (X)
Dyran Altenburg (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:12
English to Spanish
+ ...
Blackberry 8705g Oct 23, 2006

Not sure if it's only available in the US, but this one does it all (for a price, of course).

http://www.discoverblackberry.com/devices/device-detail.jsp?navId=H0,C63,P246

--
Dyran

PS: For some reason, the forum setup refuses to display the web address correctly. There should be no space between jsp and the question mark: jsp?

[Edit
... See more
Not sure if it's only available in the US, but this one does it all (for a price, of course).

http://www.discoverblackberry.com/devices/device-detail.jsp?navId=H0,C63,P246

--
Dyran

PS: For some reason, the forum setup refuses to display the web address correctly. There should be no space between jsp and the question mark: jsp?

[Edited at 2006-10-23 15:19]
Collapse

awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
More experience with the Nokia E61 Dec 1, 2006

Clare Barnes wrote:

It has an e-mail programme and I can open mail attachments (Word, excel etc), but I have never had to download them to the computer from the phone as e-mail remains on the remote server even when you view it on the phone. This means that they can be still be downloaded to the mail programme on my PC even after viewing them (and replying to them) on the phone. It's possible to create a number of different e-mail accounts on the phone, so that other people can view their mail too.

You can transfer files to your PC and there is software that comes with the phone but, as I said, I've never had to use it...

It has WAP & GPRS (just checked as I don't even know what they are even though I got the phone working all by myself!! Like I said, it's easy to use!). The other thing about it which has been very useful is that the battery lasts an extremely long time.

I can't really comment how much it costs to surf/download files/e-mail as I imagine that varies so much depending on who your service provider is.

http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/phones/mobile-phones/581914/reviews

Just wanted to add my support to Clare's comments. I recently purchased a Nokia E61 with a T-Mobile contract (in the UK) and find it a great asset. My contract allows me (almost) unlimited internet access. I can't speak for India, of course.
More here: http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/reviews/item/Nokia_E611.php.
Have a good weekend,
Amy

[Edited at 2006-12-01 14:32]

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Chiming in... Dec 3, 2006

A couple of weeks ago I did exactly what Amy and Clare have done, and got myself a Nokia E61 - and I think it's excellent. It's a bit big to look quite sensible when making phone calls on it, but otherwise is very impressive - a full keyboard, and web access at a fixed rate (£7.50 per month on T-mobile in the UK, in addition to the phone cost) which is quite reasonable. I had to fire my previous mobile phone provider, though, as their data plans were too expensive.

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 12:12
English to Indonesian
+ ...
treo 650 is the way to go! Dec 11, 2006

1. just like michele said, you can use the builtin blazer browser to connect to the net.
2. it supports wap, but can also open html in optimized or regular/wide page mode.
3. you can use the builtin versamail, an email client. you can even schedule it to collect your emails periodically, i.e. every hour etc. a bit like blackberry's push mail feature...
if you want to lend other people to check his/her mail, just
... See more
1. just like michele said, you can use the builtin blazer browser to connect to the net.
2. it supports wap, but can also open html in optimized or regular/wide page mode.
3. you can use the builtin versamail, an email client. you can even schedule it to collect your emails periodically, i.e. every hour etc. a bit like blackberry's push mail feature...
if you want to lend other people to check his/her mail, just use the blazer browser.
4. you can configure the size of the font. and the display, cmiiw, has one of the highest resolution among the pdaphone.
5. you can use versamail to download attachment. the biggest one for me yet is around 3mb... which is pretty cool on mobile!
with the builtin documents to go, you can open native doc, xls, ppt files. if you upgrade to documents to go 8, you can also open pdf, which is very handy.
you can transfer the file to you pc through synchronization or through bluetooth transfer.
6. i dunno about it in india, but in indonesia, there's a package in which you will get 1gb data access per month. and its cdma, which is of course cheaper than gsm.
7. you will have to check it yourself, but for the indian palm page, you can find it here: http://www.palm.com/in/products/smartphones/treo650/

other things you can consider:
- the full qwerty keyboard
- camera, vga quality though
- you can use it as mp3 player, with ordinary earphone/headphone/neckband + adapter
- dun modem
- uses ordinary sd card, which is cheaper, and usually faster than mini sd, cmiiw
- palm os, which is, cmiiw, far more stable than windows mobile, and many available softwares
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which is the best PDA/Mobile to access internet while on the go?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »