Choice of ISP for freelancing
Thread poster: oliver098
oliver098
oliver098
Local time: 13:06
English to French
Nov 8, 2006

I am looking into starting up, seeking freelance work, and among other things I am thinking of changing my ISP from AOL, partly because I want to use Internet Explorer and Outlook Express and not the AOL versions anymore, and partly because I don't think I get an especially good deal from them. I have looked at what some different ISPs offer, and one thing I am unsure about is whether using your computer for freelancing, as well as other home uses, means theoretically that you need to pay for a ... See more
I am looking into starting up, seeking freelance work, and among other things I am thinking of changing my ISP from AOL, partly because I want to use Internet Explorer and Outlook Express and not the AOL versions anymore, and partly because I don't think I get an especially good deal from them. I have looked at what some different ISPs offer, and one thing I am unsure about is whether using your computer for freelancing, as well as other home uses, means theoretically that you need to pay for a specifically 'business'service, or not. Some ISPs in ther T&Cs for ordinary bb packages specifically say it is not for business use and/or it is only for home use. Well it would be 'home'use... am I worrying about this unnecessarily?

I considered Virgin, and a person on their helpline said it didn't matter if I wanted to get a normal package, but that's still not what their contract terms say. Any advice on this issue?

Also I see some companies offer what look like impressive deals on free telephone use. Does this refer to phoning via the net with headphones, or does it come straight off your BT bill? And is it as good as it sounds? As well as Virgin I was considering Tiscali, Zen and Lixxus, for example.
Collapse

Patrick Oblander
Patrick Oblander  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:06
Japanese to English
You might want to go local Nov 9, 2006

The key here is accountability. I use a local ISP, and they've always given me great customer service (which I've rarely needed). I tend to think that by being relatively small and local, they are more responsive and try harder. They can't offer phone packages like some others, on the other hand.
As a freelancer, it has never mattered to me or my ISP that I'm signed up as a home user. My Internet use doesn't generate enough traffic to require higher business packages. I pay with my busines
... See more
The key here is accountability. I use a local ISP, and they've always given me great customer service (which I've rarely needed). I tend to think that by being relatively small and local, they are more responsive and try harder. They can't offer phone packages like some others, on the other hand.
As a freelancer, it has never mattered to me or my ISP that I'm signed up as a home user. My Internet use doesn't generate enough traffic to require higher business packages. I pay with my business credit card and just include it as a business expense for tax purposes.
Hope that helps.
Collapse

oliver098
oliver098
Local time: 13:06
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Nov 10, 2006

Thank you. I'll bear that in mind.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Choice of ISP for freelancing

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »