Inserting keywords into a website
Thread poster: Jennifer Baker

Jennifer Baker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:03
Member (2004)
Italian to English
Nov 10, 2006

Can someone tell me how to insert keywords into a website? Dumb question, probabaly, but I'm clueless!
Thanks-

Jennifer

Direct link Reply with quote

Amy Williams  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:03
Italian to English
+ ...
do you mean Meta tags? Nov 10, 2006

Hi Jennifer,
If you mean Meta tags, which are part of your code, there are thousands of tutorials on the web if you type "meta tags" into Google.

You may have a Meta tags facility in the program you are using to create your page, so that may be worth looking at.

Hope that helps,
Amy

[Edited at 2006-11-10 16:23]

Ruth Martinez  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
meta tag Nov 10, 2006

Hi Jennifer,

Keywords go in your "keywords" meta tag, one of the elements within the head and /head tags. These (meta) tags don't display on web pages but contain information that's very useful for web browsers.

This it what it looks like (using "translator", "Jennifer" and "forum" as random keywords):

meta name="keywords" content="translator, Jennifer, forum" /
(Edited: I have deleted the tag marks so that it will display here)

This is a very simple explanation but I hope it helps. Please email me if you need a hand with meta tags, I'll be more than happy to help!

Also, check the W3 tutorials, they are clear, concise and very easy to follow: http://www.w3schools.com/

Good luck!

Ruth

[Edited at 2006-11-10 16:48]

xxx@caduceus
United States
English to German
+ ...
webmaster tutorials Nov 10, 2006

Take a look at

http://www.tizag.com/

http://www.tizag.com/htmlT/meta.php

Abami
Philippines
Local time: 19:03
English to German
+ ...
SEO conform Nov 10, 2006

Search engines look at the meta tags and the text. If a meta tag is part of the text the "quality" is rated higher (or the relevancy) and even higher if the word is in bold.
Hence the art is to pack the keywords into the index page (first page of the URL) without makeing it unreadable.

Best Regards,

Eugen

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:03
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Not so important anymore Nov 11, 2006

Because people used to cheat with their keywords search engines like google read the real content of your page. Most important are the titles of your pages.
You can look at the tags of any page in the net by chosing view and source-code in your browser.
Regards
Heinrich

Jennifer Baker  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 11, 2006

Thanks to everyone. I've actually figured it out-

Jennifer

Michael Bastin  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:03
English to French
+ ...
Don't forget the ALT tags either Nov 11, 2006

These are displayed when the user has disabled the display of images. It it not recommended to stuff too many keywords there but all images are supposed to have some text in the ALT tag:

Ex: < img src="img/logo_bl.gif" alt="Translation service" width="214" height="90" border="0" >

[Edited at 2006-11-11 23:07]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Inserting keywords into a website

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs