Thread poster: Sonja Allen
Sonja Allen
Sonja Allen  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:35
English to German
+ ...
Nov 29, 2006

My husband will soon be sent to Germany on business for some months and I do not want to stay behind in the UK during that time, so I thought about going with him and trying to work from there on my laptop. The problem I see is just how to be able to be online most of the time (for enquiries that come in by email, research, online dictionaries etc.) without having to pay a fortune. The hotel my husband will be in, is very expensive with regards to internet use and there does not seem to be any ... See more
My husband will soon be sent to Germany on business for some months and I do not want to stay behind in the UK during that time, so I thought about going with him and trying to work from there on my laptop. The problem I see is just how to be able to be online most of the time (for enquiries that come in by email, research, online dictionaries etc.) without having to pay a fortune. The hotel my husband will be in, is very expensive with regards to internet use and there does not seem to be any decent internet cafe around there either. So I was wondering if anyone of you knows a good internet solution that doesn't break the bank and doesn't require me to enter into any long-term contract.Collapse

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:35
English to German
+ ...
Fon.com Nov 29, 2006

See http://de.fon.com/

Of course, everything will depend on whether there is someone with a WLAN located in the area you are planning to stay.

You can browse a map with Fon locations at http://maps.fon.com/

HTH.

Sonja

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
UMTS card Nov 29, 2006

Dear Sonja,

I am in this very situation myself. I got a broadband UMTS card from Vodafone, which allows quite a fast internet connection, though not really everywhere. But in any bigger town you'll probably get a good connection. If not, the card connects via GPRS, which is signifcantly slower, but you have connection virtually everywhere.
I have a flat rate (kind of) for approx. 50€/month, and I'm really happy with it.

Regards,
Erik

chinesetrans
chinesetrans
Netherlands
English to Chinese
+ ...
GPRs Nov 30, 2006

In China, I subscribed the GPRs attached to my mobile. The connection is OK, approx 5Mbps. Really bravo.

LegalTrans D
LegalTrans D  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
UMTS card maybe not such a good idea Dec 4, 2006

efreitag wrote:

I have a flat rate (kind of) for approx. 50€/month, and I'm really happy with it.

At first glance, UMTS card flat rates may look like an attractive proposition. To take advantage of it, though, you have to sign a 24 month contract. At least that's what it says on the Vodafone site. I doubt that Deutsche Telekom would give you a better deal.

I've been through this problem a number of times in different countries and have never really been able to come up with a good solution in a hotel. That is why I now prefer to rent a holiday flat rather than go to a hotel. It usually means I have to work with a dial-up connection, but at least it won't cost me an arm and a leg.

A kingdom for a good solution!

Volkmar

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I need a good internet solution while abroad

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »